• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

District of Columbia approves $15/hour minimum wage

Figure out how to deal with the increased expenditure of course. And if a company can't then they end up going bust. And then some other company takes their place because they CAN figure out how to deal with the increased expenditure and hires people to meet their needs.
ect.
Oh that's not true at all. The likelihood of somebody taking over a business ( due to increased labor costs) lessens as the margins shrink.
The facts of life, as always, are conservative.

I suggested nothing - other then what I said.

The fact remains that the $15 MW law in Seattle was implemented in 2014 and that over the last year, the Seattle UR (unemployment rate) has risen while the national UR has fallen.

The fact that the UR's are going in opposite directions says it all, imo.

And the data you presented shows the bulk of the problem is in the manufacturing sector. Are you saying the minimum wage increase is what's hurting manufacturing in Seattle?

And the data you presented shows the bulk of the problem is in the manufacturing sector. Are you saying the minimum wage increase is what's hurting manufacturing in Seattle?

For the last time, I said what I typed in the post based on data/articles I presented...no more and no less. The data should speak for itself.

If you have a problem with it or a question about it, I suggest you take it up with the organizations I linked to in that post.

I have no interest in discussing it further...no offense.

Good day.

For the last time, I said what I typed in the post based on data/articles I presented...no more and no less. The data should speak for itself.

As far as I can tell the data does speak for itself: the job losses Seattle experienced in the past year to nudge up its unemployment rate have been in a relatively high wage sector, whereas the sector in which jobs at or near minimum wage are concentrated has seen decent growth.

But you seem to be suggesting the opposite is the case. Which is why I'm unclear as to what you're arguing. You're relying so much on hand waving and insinuation with regard to what's happened in Seattle it's honestly difficult to make out what story you're trying to tell.

None, the CEO's and big fat cats will see the light and take the pay cut, the investors, will feel good about helping he working man and accept lower rates of return on their investments.

I don't agree.

Doubling the labor cost for McDonalds, Burger King and other fast food restaurants will mean that they will no longer be affordable for many middle and lower income families. Something I'm sure the left sees as a positive effect... Me, not so much.

Terrible. Instead of buying a 7$ burger that feeds them once, they'll have to figure out how to buy groceries instead. My goodness, can you imagine? The pain..

Because it's easier for businesses to handle gradual changes.

If I may quote Deuce (perhaps you know him) "On the macroeconomic scale it doesn't appear to do that, no."

So if making the change has no effect, why does it need to be done gradually? There is nothing for the business to handle, right?

Terrible. Instead of buying a 7$ burger that feeds them once, they'll have to figure out how to buy groceries instead. My goodness, can you imagine? The pain..

Why would you think that the price of groceries would not be equally affected by the inflation?

None. Fire two members of the shift, install kiosks for ordering, and tell the other five to work more hours.
It sounds like a talking point by anti-minimum side. I don't think you ever been inside of fast food place before.The person taking your order is not just sitting on their ass taking orders and counting change. They are getting your drinks, fries,helping cook food and other ****. I was at Arby's recently. The person took my order, my money and then proceeded to help make my frosty, cook food and other ****.It was a similar experience at a Burger King except they handed me my cup and I had to fix my own drinks. I also used to work at a Wendy's the person who took orders inside the restaurant also cooked food, the person who took orders from the drive through was a supervisor with a head phone mic set helping assemble orders.That was back in the 90s so maybe things have changed since then.A ordering kiosks would probably be used to help cut down on wrong orders, not because a fast place might have to pay a few extra bucks an hour to their employees. Plus companies don't like paying overtime so I do not see them telling their workers to work longer hours.

Why would you think that the price of groceries would not be equally affected by the inflation?

Lmao, the price of groceries isn't going to explode. Don't worry, tomatoes aren't going to go from 2-3 dollars a pound to 5 dollars because of this increase.

That said, if you can't figure out how the $20 you spend on a family of 3 on a single visit to McDonald's can feed you for at least 3 meals if you buy groceries... there is nothing for me to help you with. Eating out at McDs, BK or Wendy's will NEVER be as cheap as home cooking. Easy way to test this if you're interested.

Last edited:
If I may quote Deuce (perhaps you know him) "On the macroeconomic scale it doesn't appear to do that, no."

So if making the change has no effect, why does it need to be done gradually? There is nothing for the business to handle, right?

You have incorrectly interpreted the quoted statement to mean "no effect." I hope this clears things up for you.

Equally, by what percentage?

I would be happy to answer, but I have no idea what you are asking.

What percentage increase in prices do we expect froma $15/hour minimum wage.

The other guy was too afraid to answer that question regarding fast food prices.

The other guy was too afraid to answer that question regarding fast food prices.

There are different studies. One shows 4%, another shows 17%, a third 43% a fourth 38%.. Which one do you want? The 4% increase is based on the current median wages.. while the 38% is based on the current average wages. I am not certain on the other two. However, I have my doubts that more than or nearly doubling the second highest expense to McDonalds and following the MW increase all through the supply chain.. would only increase it 4%.

Hmmm... Well there are three Walmarts in Washington DC...

I listen to WMAL (DC) and followed their problems with the DC Council. They opened 3, none of which are profitable, and did not open two more that were planned.

The $15 minimum wage certainly did not help matters. And there you have it. Government screws those in need once again.

One City Council member said that in a closed-door meeting, a company official pointed to proposals to increase the city's minimum wage, which could rise from $11.50 an hour to $15 if a ballot measure passes in November, as a condition that could make the D.C. plans even less viable.
How Wal-Mart 'absolutely shafted' Washington, D.C., by reneging on a promise - LA Times

Not surprising, the LAT title is misleading, as there was no promise.

Why don't you do it?

If the wages were 10 and hour, and are now 15... What is the increase?
Multiply that through the entire staff.
How many times will you think before adding staff?
Does this encourage entry level jobs or discourage them?
Why not 18 an hour? Or 22?

I suggest you open a business and give it a try.
Then get back to us.

That would be hard to nail down. There are a lot of variables to consider. A business that is more labor intensive would have to increase their prices more than a business that is not labor intensive. Then there is the type of labor used. A business that used a lot of unskilled labor will see increases more that a business that does uses higher skilled labor.

Since fast food and grocery stores are similar in that they both use lots of unskilled labor, I would imagine that they would see similar price increases. So if we circle back to the original question, if both fast food and groceries increase by the same percentage, then groceries do not gain any advantage. A rising tide raises all ships.

Why don't you do it?

If the wages were 10 and hour, and are now 15... What is the increase?
Multiply that through the entire staff.
How many times will you think before adding staff?
Does this encourage entry level jobs or discourage them?
Why not 18 an hour? Or 22?

I suggest you open a business and give it a try.
Then get back to us.

I'm not the one proclaiming there will be a catastrophic price increase that makes things worse for poor people and therefore the burden does not fall upon me to prove it.

Back
Top Bottom