• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disrespect to the King of Spain

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. I have just returned from YouTube where I saw a video of the Spanish King opening the Cortes (their Parliament).

2. There was much pomp and circumstance (such as when Queen Elizabeth opens a new session of Parliament).

3. When the King entered the chamber, everyone stood.

4. But some deputies did NOT applaud. I was shocked at such rudeness.

5. I guess that some of our legislators (such as the current Speaker of the House) are not the only rude legislators in the world.

1. I have just returned from YouTube where I saw a video of the Spanish King opening the Cortes (their Parliament).

2. There was much pomp and circumstance (such as when Queen Elizabeth opens a new session of Parliament).

5. I guess that some of our legislators (such as the current Speaker of the House) are not the only rude legislators in the world.

This is only my opinion, but I think the political divide between different separatist in Spain and the Central
Government, may be much deeper than between Republicans and Democrats.
No one in the US is seriously talking about splitting off and forming their own country!

Are you kinda letting slip you think, or desire Trump a King?

This is only my opinion, but I think the political divide between different separatist in Spain and the Central
No one in the US is seriously talking about splitting off and forming their own country!

1. Yes, you are right. I know next to nothing about Spanish politics, but I was able to find some info that said the non-applauders were members of a separatist group. Some of them do not accept the King as their leader.

2. Regarding the last sentence of your post, I have to tread carefully. As you know, there are some Americans who do wish to split off and form a new country, but I had better stop here.

Have a nice weekend!

Are you kinda letting slip you think, or desire Trump a King?
How in the world did you get that from what he wrote?
It was simply a comment that other national leaders are not liked by some of their legislators.

Except for the red states when Obama was re-elected.

Hi, I'm Spanish (concretely Catalan separatist) and the figure of the king is very controversial in my country. After the Civil War between Republicans and Fascists, the dictator Franco ruled for almost 40 years and repressed the peripherical nationalisms like the Catalan, the Basque or Galician. When Franco passed away in 1975 he nominated Juan Carlos I as his successor, so the monarchy was imposed by the dictator.

Nowadays the monarchy has been in a multitude of corruption cases like the Noos Case or the illegal ''bites'' to adjudications of the Saudi prince to Spanish companies. Also, we have the independentist problem of Catalonia (and maybe the Basque Country) where the king is seen as a tyrant. Finally, we can't forget the wounds of the Civil War in the Spanish society that are still present with the new political parties like the republican and left-wing Podemos (they're in the government with PSOE) and the far right-wing and clearly franquist Vox.

Back
Top Bottom