• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disney STRIKES BACK and says Florida is responsible for its $2B bond debt after Gov. DeSantis stripped it of 55-year-old special status

"the People" LOL

Used to be a time, not too long ago, when the left cheered the government stripping multinational corporations of their special privileges. My, times have changed.
The CEO is of the People, yes. And because he said something DeSantis didn't like, DeSantis is using the force of government against his property in retribution.

Used to be a time when the Right cheered for small, constrained government and championed the rights of the individual. My, times have changed.

"the People" LOL

Used to be a time, not too long ago, when the left cheered the government stripping multinational corporations of their special privileges. My, times have changed.

The right is trying desperately to make this about Disney's having no right to this special status. To be clear, the Government has every right to cancel the arrangement...every right in the world. That is not the issue.

The issue is DeSantis did this unilaterally, with no consultation with the Counties and as an act of retaliation against Disney for exercising their 1st A right. That is the issue...the rest is noise. It is no coincidence that DW is located in Orange County which is a very, very Blue County. He doesn't give a damn about these voters because they weren't voting for him anyway. Of particular interest to me is that he left the Village's special status, exactly the same one Disney has, intact. I'm sure that the fact they love DeSantis and are Ruby Red had no bearing on the decision.

Done................

The CEO is of the People, yes. And because he said something DeSantis didn't like, DeSantis is using the force of government against his property in retribution.

Used to be a time when the Right cheered for small, constrained government and championed the rights of the individual. My, times have changed.

LOL Boys are girls, girls are boys, a $70B multinational corporation is an "individual." You're a hoot Ikari. Comedy gold.

LOL Boys are girls, girls are boys, a $70B multinational corporation is an "individual." You're a hoot Ikari. Comedy gold.
Who said any of that. You've resorted to lying now. Where did I say a corporation is an individual? You shouldn't use lies for arguments, it can't stand on its own.

lol

I'll say it again, it's frigging hilarious watching the left cheer a multinational corporation that pays it's employees so little that they are forced to live in their cars.
You guys do this all the time. You think we love Disney just because of this whole thing. You think in black and white too much.

Disney is a shitty corporation, that doesn't make me ok with the government retaliating against a private business because of their speech, especially when that retaliation is based on right wing anti-LGBT bigotry.

Who said any of that. You've resorted to lying now. Where did I say a corporation is an individual? You shouldn't use lies for arguments, it can't stand on its own.

lol
"Used to be a time when the Right cheered for small, constrained government and championed the rights of the individual. "

Your evil twin huh?

You guys do this all the time. You think we love Disney just because of this whole thing. You think in black and white too much.

Disney is a shitty corporation, that doesn't make me ok with the government retaliating against a private business because of their speech, especially when that retaliation is based on right wing anti-LGBT bigotry.
Don't make them think about it too hard, they'll get a headache. It has to be reduced down to the simplest of terms to serve their political trolling.

"Used to be a time when the Right cheered for small, constrained government and championed the rights of the individual. "

Your evil twin huh?
Where does that say a corporation is a person?

I know, reading is hard but lying is easy. But your lies are easily dismissed. Try reading instead, you might get further.

LMAO! This is so damn funny I may pee my pants.

They could always just pass a tax for large corporations - say any employer in the county with over 70,000 employees.

Wow. A small government, tax hating "conservative" wants the government to be big powerful government and impose taxes on a company in more retaliation for said company not jumping on the "gays are icky" bandwagon.

Almost as hilarious as watching the right cheer on the use of government force used in retribution against free speech.

As someone who was a Republican for 36 years until that piece of shit Trump and his drooling moronic supporters took over the party, leading to shit like DeSantis and his retaliation games, it isn't hilarious. It's sad and horrific.

You are struggling badly in here. He never said a $70B multinational corporation is an "individual."

The smart people understand his posts.

"the People" LOL

Used to be a time, not too long ago, when the left cheered the government stripping multinational corporations of their special privileges. My, how times have changed.
Used to be a time when right wingers cared about the Constitution, but I guess corporations aren't people anymore? Funny how it changes when the right wing morons fail at owning the libs.

You are struggling badly in here. He never said a $70B multinational corporation is an "individual."

The smart people understand his posts.
And smart people dont have to constantly identify themselves as smart. If you are smart, people will tell you, you wont have to tell them.

Used to be a time when right wingers cared about the Constitution, but I guess corporations aren't people anymore? Funny how it changes when the right wing morons fail at owning the libs.
How was the Constitution violated here?

especially when that retaliation is based on right wing anti-LGBT bigotry.
Why do you feel the need to post that lie in every thread? Honest debate not in your wheelhouse?

And smart people dont have to constantly identify themselves as smart. If you are smart, people will tell you, you wont have to tell them.

Nobody cares what you think. This is not about me. It's about the lying Trump supporters who were against government using its power and taxes until they are now for it. Keep up.

This is all a big joke.

CNN reports, "Disney’s self-governing special district, the Reedy Creek Improvement District, says that Florida’s move to dissolve the district next year is not legal unless the state pays off Reedy Creek’s extensive debts.

"Reedy Creek is a special purpose district created by state law in May 1967 that gives The Walt Disney Company extensive governmental control over the land in and around its central Florida theme parks. With that power, Reedy Creek currently has about $1 billion in outstanding bond debt, according to the credit rating agency Fitch Ratings.

"In a statement issued to its bondholders last Thursday, Reedy Creek pointed out that the 1967 law also includes a pledge from Florida to its bondholders. The law states that Florida “will not in any way impair the rights or remedies of the holders … until all such bonds together with interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with any act or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are fully met and discharged.”

CNN added, "The new law is just two pages long and avoids any discussion of details about how to unwind a half-century of infrastructure deals, nor does it lay out the next steps in the complicated process. Lawmakers in neighboring Orange and Osceola counties have expressed concerns that they will be stuck with paying off Reedy Creek’s debts and will have to significantly raise property taxes on residents."

“If we had to take over the first response – the public safety components for Reedy Creek – with no new revenue, that would be catastrophic for our budget here within Orange County,” Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demings told reporters on April 21. “It would put an undue burden on the rest of the taxpayers in Orange County to fill that gap.”

Which is exactly why DeSantis had the law written so that it doesn't take effect for thirteen months. The Republican governor is getting back at Disney because Disney execs objected to another law signed by DeSantis that put a muzzle onto K-3rd grade teachers when comes to sex education for four to seven year old children. Apparently, DeSantis thinks K-3rd grade educators teach sex to children.

There is no intention of having this law take effect as written ... or at all. DeSantis engaged in a childish political prank to take revenge on Disney's First Amendment rights. In the Republican mind, First Amendment rights are only for Republicans.

Republicans are expected to win control of Congress in November, and DeSantis is a likely Republican candidate for President if Trump doesn't run.

Forum Republicans are unlikely to respond to the issues of this report.

What a wacky world we live in.

Don't make them think about it too hard, they'll get a headache. It has to be reduced down to the simplest of terms to serve their political trolling.
It's the same with Musk. Musk is vaguely on their side of an argument (for entirely different reasons) and now they think he's one of them.

It's the same with Musk. Musk is vaguely on their side of an argument (for entirely different reasons) and now they think he's one of them.
Musk is in it for himself, no one else. And he'll flip to censoring on Twitter if it behooves him.

Wow. A small government, tax hating "conservative" wants the government to be big powerful government and impose taxes on a company in more retaliation for said company not jumping on the "gays are icky" bandwagon.
Really? Who? Where?

The person who said this:
There's nothing in that stament that says the person "wants the government to be big powerful government and impose taxes on a company in more retaliation for said company not jumping on the "gays are icky" bandwagon." - more made up BS.

There's nothing in that stament that says the person "wants the government to be big powerful government and impose taxes on a company in more retaliation for said company not jumping on the "gays are icky" bandwagon." - must be you projecting again.

It's right in your post. You want the government to pass a law that taxes Disney. You like taxing big corporations now. And you want a tax on Disney because they didn't cave to the "gays are icky, don't enable them" law.

Just stop and save your bullshit for someone who will buy it.

It's right in your post. You want the government to pass a law that taxes Disney. You like taxing big corporations now. And you want a tax on Disney because they didn't cave to the "gays are icky, don't enable them" law.

Just stop and save your bullshit for someone who will buy it.
I listed an option they could use. I expressed no desire or "want" - that's utterly irrelevant. Do you ever discuss issues or do you just come on here to troll other posters?

Back
Top Bottom