• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disney chief says ABC passed on 'incredibly well-written scripts' that lacked diversity

Roadvirus

Heading North
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
One of Disney's top bosses has spoken candidly about pilots the company passed on due to a lack of diversity in their scripts.

"I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them," Dana Walden, Walt Disney Television's Chairman of Entertainment, said during a panel discussion last week, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

-skip-

As THR previously reported, TV programs had to fulfill at least three of the five standards, which include at least 50% of characters and/or actors representing "Underrepresented Groups," the "meaningful inclusion of Underrepresented Groups" among secondary characters, as well as "themes and narratives" from such groups integrated in the series premise and episodic storytelling.

Disney chief says ABC passed on 'incredibly well-written scripts' that lacked diversity | Fox News

Great. Turn off the news to get away from political crap, turn it to an ABC sitcom and run right smack into more political crap.

I wonder how long it will take ABC's leadership to figure out why their ratings suck.

Imagine getting aggrieved over the thought of someone else wanting to do stuff that reflects society as it is rather than pretending it's all white people.

Imagine having the lack of awareness to unknowingly (or the [censored] to do it knowingly) take it from a bare-bones article that is only reporting on it that way in order to target you, since they know you'll get pissed off at the thought of someone else wanting to include non-whites.

Imagine doing that even though either they or ABC could make characters different ethnicities/religions without meaningfully changing the story, and one party apparently refused.

And now, imagine doing all that but regularly commenting in the biased news forum about how mean CNN is to Trump and right wingers generally.

rvxyuxazldd41.png

Can you imagine doing all that, @Roadvirus ?

It's all cherry-picked anyway. Fox links to Hollywood reporter, which is this:

And that itself is pretty bare-bones, referencing to these being statements made at some kind of open panel, which it does not link to (you'd think it'd be on youtube). At any rate, the standards are apparently here, if anyone wants to get even madder about them:

Great. Turn off the news to get away from political crap, turn it to an ABC sitcom and run right smack into more political crap.

I wonder how long it will take ABC's leadership to figure out why their ratings suck.
I'm going to go with Disney understanding their market better than you do.

i haven't seen a white person on tv in i don't know how long. it has been at least ten or fifteen seconds.

That is stupid, just add some diversity. How difficult is it to be a bit more inclusive.

Also refusing this will make lazy writers maybe a bit more enthusiastic about including minorities in their writings.

I'm going to go with Disney understanding their market better than you do.
What about the "I want to be entertained, not lectured" market?

People watch sitcoms to be entertained and something to laugh at after a day of being exposed to riots, race-hustling, viral pandemics and crime. Watching a sitcom about the White neighbor who needs to check his "white privilege" so he doesn't end up offending his Black neighbors just because he is White just reminds them of the garbage they want to get away from.

I do not know what is sadder:

1: That you think this is political(it is not, it is financial)
2: That you think this is isolated to Disney(it is not, it is done by every media company since they want to make as much money as possible)
3: That @Roadvirus apparently did not read his own source, which says " That's not going to get on the air anymore because that's not what our audience wants "
4: That you do not realize quality has little to do with whether a script gets made.

Edit: 5: Playing the victim over nonwhites actually being in movies and TV...

I do not know what is sadder:

1: That you think this is political(it is not, it is financial)
2: That you think this is isolated to Disney(it is not, it is done by every media company since they want to make as much money as possible)
3: That @Roadvirus apparently did not read his own source, which says " That's not going to get on the air anymore because that's not what our audience wants "
4: That you do not realize quality has little to do with whether a script gets made.

2: Race-hustling IS where the money's at. Al Sharpton knows. So does Ibram X Kendi. CBS has him on their shows peddling his race-hustling books almost every week.

2: Race-hustling IS where the money's at. Al Sharpton knows. So does Ibram X Kendi. CBS has him on their shows peddling his race-hustling books almost every week.
Having black people in movies and tv is not race-hustling...

Didn't say it was. But peddling Woke propaganda is.
Nope, nor is producing movies and TV shows that audiences want to see. Which is more likely, that Disney is pushing a political agenda at the cost of profits, or that what your own source claims, which is that Disney is trying to make media that its audience wants to see so they make the most money? I am sorry you are so offended at having to see black people, but don't try and push the idea that the problem is with anyone but you for your emotional reactions.

People watch sitcoms to be entertained and something to laugh at after a day of being exposed to riots, race-hustling, viral pandemics and crime. Watching a sitcom about the White neighbor who needs to check his "white privilege" so he doesn't end up offending his Black neighbors just because he is White just reminds them of the garbage they want to get away from.
Haven't seen that show. My guess is that the message will be less overt. Even if it was as you suggested...if you don't like it, change the channel.

I am sorry you are so offended at having to see black people, but don't try and push the idea that the problem is with anyone but you for your emotional reactions.
Ugh! I have nothing against Black people being in movies or TV shows. My beef is the whole political talking points angle.

Ugh! I have nothing against Black people being in movies or TV shows. My beef is the whole political talking points angle.
Except your source did not say it was political, it was a business decision. You are the one who injected politics.

Change the channel.

The most recent example I encountered was a MacGyver in which some “good” person was affiliated with BLM.

Haven't seen that show. My guess is that the message will be less overt. Even if it was as you suggested...if you don't like it, change the channel.

Within the past year I dropped two shows for mentioning “white privilege” as if it were an unquestionable given.

Which people? Trumpists? White Supremacists? Racists?

Because those are pretty much the only people who are gonna get mad at ABC for rejecting scripts that do not pass certain categories of requirements, of which representation of underrepresented groups is only one requirement, three out of five of which must be met. They're also the only people who would get angry at a TV show if an episode contained a side-plot about not being a racist asshole to one's black neighbors.

Imagine getting aggrieved over the thought of someone else wanting to do stuff that reflects society as it is rather than pretending it's all white people.

Imagine having the lack of awareness to unknowingly (or the [censored] to do it knowingly) take it from a bare-bones article that is only reporting on it that way in order to target you, since they know you'll get pissed off at the thought of someone else wanting to include non-whites.

Imagine doing that even though either they or ABC could make characters different ethnicities/religions without meaningfully changing the story, and one party apparently refused.

And now, imagine doing all that but regularly commenting in the biased news forum about how mean CNN is to Trump and right wingers generally.

rvxyuxazldd41.png

Can you imagine doing all that, @Roadvirus ?

It's all cherry-picked anyway. Fox links to Hollywood reporter, which is this:

And that itself is pretty bare-bones, referencing to these being statements made at some kind of open panel, which it does not link to (you'd think it'd be on youtube). At any rate, the standards are apparently here, if anyone wants to get even madder about them:

<chirping of anticipated crickets>

It's stupid political hit thread. Of course he cannot back it up directly.

Within the past year I dropped two shows for mentioning “white privilege” as if it were an unquestionable given.

Maybe you should contact Stormfront with a pilot episode of a cartoon for people who get offended at the notion that they might have certain advantages due to their skin color.

I guess passing on the script is better than "Hey, this is really good but can you toss in a couple black people to meet our quota?"

Having black people in movies and tv is not race-hustling...
What about having them in movies and on TV to fulfill a self-imposed quota? Nothing says inclusion and diversity like "I hired you because I made a rule saying I have to. The most important thing I see in you is the color of your skin." So much awesomeness.

What about having them in movies and on TV to fulfill a self-imposed quota? Nothing says inclusion and diversity like "I hired you because I made a rule saying I have to. The most important thing I see in you is the color of your skin." So much awesomeness.
You apparently did not read the source. There is no "quota", there is only what people want to see.

Which people? Trumpists? White Supremacists? Racists?

Because those are pretty much the only people who are gonna get mad at ABC for rejecting scripts that do not pass certain categories of requirements, of which representation of underrepresented groups is only one requirement, three out of five of which must be met. They're also the only people who would get angry at a TV show if an episode contained a side-plot about not being a racist asshole to one's black neighbors.

<chirping of anticipated crickets>

It's stupid political hit thread. Of course he cannot back it up directly.

And how do you back up the claim that anyone who doesn’t like being preached to is automatically a racist? You don’t really have to answer, everyone here can recognize Mad Lib Deck-Stacking.

The problem with simply turning the channel is that virtue signaling has become so pervasive that it’s everywhere. That’s what happens when one ethos is allowed complete hegemony.

You apparently did not read the source. There is no "quota", there is only what people want to see.
I saw this part in the source.

As THR previously reported, TV programs had to fulfill at least three of the five standards, which include at least 50% of characters and/or actors representing "Underrepresented Groups," the "meaningful inclusion of Underrepresented Groups" among secondary characters, as well as "themes and narratives" from such groups integrated in the series premise and episodic storytelling.

And how do you back up the claim that anyone who doesn’t like being preached to is automatically a racist?

Quote me making that exact claim, in those words, and I'll have to back it up.

You cannot, of course. You're lying.

Back
Top Bottom