• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disgusting Racist Comments Made About Miss America

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am glad she won. Didn't they demand to view her birth certificate? Akin to calling Obama a terrorist and a muslim. Got some education?
Anyone who was watching Twitter as they watched the Miss America 2014 pageant saw a pretty ugly sight as the winner was announced.
No, not winner Nina Davuluri's "ugly cry" (which was rather graceful, as these things go). After Davuluri received her crown, Twitter was flooded with hateful tweets in reaction to Davuluri's Indian-American heritage.
BuzzFeed helpfully collected many of the awful tweets, the themes of which ranged from anti-Arab sentiment -- "So miss america is a terrorist" -- to anti-Indian racism -- "Miss America? You mean Miss 7-11."
Miss America 2014 Win Prompts Racist Twitter Backlash, Followed By (Some) Twitter Apologies

I didn't watch this "event" and I don't know anything about the young woman, but seems to me that this is just the result of political correctness run amok.

Personally, my heritage way back is partly English, partly Irish, and partly French, but no one in my family refers to themselves as hyphenated Canadians in any way, we're just Canadians. And it often bothers me, particularly as I get older and crankier, when people from other countries, less fortunate countries, take advantage of our national generousity to relocate here for a better life yet bring all their former country's problems and disputes with them, protesting on our streets for ills halfway around the world and push their cultural and religious traditions on the people who gave them a new life.

I'd be interested in knowing how often this young woman's Indian heritage was put on display during the pagent and the issue of her heritage was highlighted. If she was simply referred to as any other American, then the comments made would be inappropriate and uncalled for. If, however, she was promoted as Indian-American, I fully understand why people who are just plain Americans would be ticked off. I may not like it, but I fully understand it.

Last edited:
If she's a terrorist I want to be her captive.

Back
Top Bottom