• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disgusted With US Foreign Policies, Defense Contractor Quits.

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
As the bloated State continues to grow, we start to see more people within the system pushing back. Kudos for Brandon Toy for making this tough decision.

He was not even a "contractor". He worked at General Dynamics as part of the engineering staff to improve the Stryker armored vehicle. If this counts as a "contractor", then I guess the cleaning staff who take care of the bathrooms are also "Defense Contractors" as well. As is the 18 year old that works on the Burger King on post.

Good for him, and I wish him well finding a job in Detroit.

He was not even a "contractor". He worked at General Dynamics as part of the engineering staff to improve the Stryker armored vehicle. If this counts as a "contractor",

That is the very definition of a defense contractor silly: an organization or individual who provides products/services to the military.

:lamo

This One Guy Agrees With Me My Whole Worldview Is Validated!!!!!

:lamo

This One Guy Agrees With Me My Whole Worldview Is Validated!!!!!

Do you wish to contribute to the discussion or only troll?

Do you wish to contribute to the discussion or only troll?

I just think these threads are useless, and fail to make the point that the OP thinks they are making. It's like when someone posts a thread centered around "look this rich guy says we should increase taxes!" The fact that someone who works for General Dynamics decides he wishes to oppose U.S. foreign policy no more validates the opposition to U.S. foreign policy than the rich guy validates a tax increase - these people rarely bring new information to light, only present it through atypical sources.

There is no "discussion" to contribute to, it's people attempting to argue that their stance has greater validity because of the agreement of another individual whose position breaks stereotype. :shrug: I see your contractor and raise you however many other contractors and active duty members that you please.

I just think these threads are useless, and fail to make the point that the OP thinks they are making. It's like when someone posts a thread centered around "look this rich guy says we should increase taxes!" There is no "discussion" to contribute to, it's people attempting to argue that their stance has greater validity because of the agreement of another individual whose position breaks stereotype. :shrug: I see your contractor and raise you however many other contractors and active duty members that you please.

There you go. Was that so hard?

Anyways, I disagree. I think a lot can be learned through the personal experiences of those who have been through the system, whether you agree with their conclusions or not.

There you go. Was that so hard?

:shrug: as near as I can tell, the statements are the same, but if it better elucidates... :)

Anyways, I disagree. I think a lot can be learned through the personal experiences of those who have been through the system, whether you agree with their conclusions or not.

"been through the system"?

We have a dozen vets on this forum alone who have combat tours under this belt "in the system". Contractors, too. This guy's personal experiences no more validates his opinion than theirs.

When I saw the title I had hope it was a major corporation getting a soul, Like Lockheed/Martin or General Dynamics, not just a lone guy.

A bean counter deep in the bowels of the beast? Sigh, oh well I guess the best spin to put on it is that is a start.... :peace

Is it even possible for a major corporation to 'get a soul'?

I think not.

I admire this guy for letting his conscience be his guide. :)

That is the very definition of a defense contractor silly: an organization or individual who provides products/services to the military.

No, generally a "Defense Contractor" is somebody who actually works for the military under contract.

The Tech Rep that goes out to assist in operating a piece of equipment is a Defense Contractor. A company may be a Defense Contractor because it provides services. Somebody may be brought in to work with the military on a specific item, like computer programming. That is a defense contractor.

I would not call everybody who simply works for a company a "Defense Contractor" through, that is just silly. Because following your definition, the janitor is a "Defense Contractor", as is the Asok type individual who works in the mailroom. And the gal that works in the HR department enforcing antidiscrimination is also a "Defense Contractor".

Sorry, your idea of what this is very different then most of us who actually deal with these individuals. We use the term to describe the company, or an individual who directly deals with the military. We do not use this term to describe anybody who works for the company, that is being dishonest.

The lady that serves coffee and snacks in the lobby is no more a defense contractor then 90% of the people who work for General Dynamics.

Nice, but do you actually believe that, or are you just saying that? Because it seems to me that you are wanting us to take this guy's manifesto as gospel truth, and ignore anything else.

And one thing I find very interesting, is that there is very little real information available about this clown. Oh yes, the "Liberal Loonies" are just eating this up, but is there any real information available about him, what he did, and what was going on with his department when he quit?

Because I have been looking, and I have yet to find anything other then people patting him on the back for quitting. commondreams loves him, paxchristiusa loves him, describing GD as a "war corporation". You look through and see nothing but liberal blog after liberal blog crowing about this individual quitting, but really almost nothing else.

Now does anybody else find this somewhat strange? I sure do, and when I compare it to what I already know about the Stryker project (that it has largely been shutdown, and that there are so many excess in the inventory that they are basically being given to DHS and even civilian law enforcement) that I really wonder if there was something else going on.

Like he had gotten word that he or his group was being laid off, and decided to act in a way that would get him praise and certainly job offers from the lunatic fringe.

I am not saying this is the case, but the absolute absence of anything other then his letter or his praise for being so strong has disturbed me. And I am positive we are not getting even a fraction of the truth out of this. But when I see so many self-congratulatory orgasmic letters back and forth, I only know that it means that the wind is coming from the dairy farm, because all I smell is ****.

Oozle

You're just sore because some other troop has the audacity to speak truth to power. Don't worry, the MIC is not going to dry up and blow away, no matter how much truth comes out.

You have an outstanding ability to pick nits.

Oozle

You're just sore because some other troop has the audacity to speak truth to power. Don't worry, the MIC is not going to dry up and blow away, no matter how much truth comes out.

Actually, I am not sore at all. However, do you not think it is puzzling that we are only getting "one side" in this occurrence? You do not find it puzzling that we are hearing all kinds of praise for what he did, and nothing else? Come on now, you are supposed to believe in conspiracies, you do not find it strange that so many are "eating up" the "accepted story"?

This is what I mean by "critical thinking". Personally, I think that GD has been quiet because of several reasons. For one, there is employee confidentiality laws so there is likely little to nothing they could say in the first place. But what about his coworkers? Something like this, and nobody else is talking?

I honestly could not care less about the grandstanding twit. What he did is really the equivalent of some US city declaring itself a "Nuclear Free Zone". Symbolic, political, and of absolutely no importance whatsoever. But I get it, a lot of people seem to be impressed by these meaningless "symbols of resistance".

1317965899736934.jpg

:shrug: as near as I can tell, the statements are the same, but if it better elucidates... :)

The first post you gave an lol smiley with a sarcastic comment. On the second one you gave actually presented a point. They were not the same.

"been through the system"?

Don't know why you presented quotes. He clearly has been through the system.

We have a dozen vets on this forum alone who have combat tours under this belt "in the system". Contractors, too. This guy's personal experiences no more validates his opinion than theirs.

Never said it did.

No, generally a "Defense Contractor" is somebody who actually works for the military under contract.

The Tech Rep that goes out to assist in operating a piece of equipment is a Defense Contractor. A company may be a Defense Contractor because it provides services. Somebody may be brought in to work with the military on a specific item, like computer programming. That is a defense contractor.

I would not call everybody who simply works for a company a "Defense Contractor" through, that is just silly. Because following your definition, the janitor is a "Defense Contractor", as is the Asok type individual who works in the mailroom. And the gal that works in the HR department enforcing antidiscrimination is also a "Defense Contractor".

Sorry, your idea of what this is very different then most of us who actually deal with these individuals. We use the term to describe the company, or an individual who directly deals with the military. We do not use this term to describe anybody who works for the company, that is being dishonest.

The lady that serves coffee and snacks in the lobby is no more a defense contractor then 90% of the people who work for General Dynamics.

Brandon Toy was man engineering project manager for the Stryker Program. Hardly a janitor or secretary.

Nice, but do you actually believe that, or are you just saying that? Because it seems to me that you are wanting us to take this guy's manifesto as gospel truth, and ignore anything else.

Really? Where did I say that?

And one thing I find very interesting, is that there is very little real information available about this clown. Oh yes, the "Liberal Loonies" are just eating this up, but is there any real information available about him, what he did, and what was going on with his department when he quit?

When you don't like the message, attack the messenger.

Because I have been looking, and I have yet to find anything other then people patting him on the back for quitting. commondreams loves him, paxchristiusa loves him, describing GD as a "war corporation". You look through and see nothing but liberal blog after liberal blog crowing about this individual quitting, but really almost nothing else.

Well, you certainly won't be seeing Newsmax or Townhall singing his praises. :lol:

However, if there was something false about this guy you can bet those sources would be jumping all over it.

I am not saying this is the case, but the absolute absence of anything other then his letter or his praise for being so strong has disturbed me. And I am positive we are not getting even a fraction of the truth out of this.

That's right. Because who would ever quit a job due to conflicts of conscience? Some loon that's who!

You have an outstanding ability to pick nits.

Please explain how he wasn't a defense contractor. Because others have only thrown red herrings so far.

Actually, I am not sore at all. However, do you not think it is puzzling that we are only getting "one side" in this occurrence? You do not find it puzzling that we are hearing all kinds of praise for what he did, and nothing else? Come on now, you are supposed to believe in conspiracies, you do not find it strange that so many are "eating up" the "accepted story"?

Maybe your conservative sources should be getting on the ball and exposing this guy for what he truly is.

Brandon Toy was man engineering project manager for the Stryker Program. Hardly a janitor or secretary.

Actually, you would be surprised. I have already read his "resume", a "Vehicle Commander" in the National Guard. Yea, sounds impressive unless you realize all that means is that all that means is that he was the senior person in the vehicle (and normally the passenger). Prior to that, he worked at Little Caesars.

And his title is what is often called "Corporate Vague". "Engineering Project Manager", that could mean just that he was in charge of the guys who attached the wheels. He has an MBA, so it is not like he is actually an engineer. I have had a great many "Manager" and "Senior" positions during my career, those are often thrown in by HR to make a position sound better for applicants. It does not necessarily mean anything.

Maybe your conservative sources should be getting on the ball and exposing this guy for what he truly is.

I really could not care less who or what he is to be perfectly honest. He could be a Broney, he might like to play football and drink on weekends, I really could not care less.

Actually, you would be surprised. I have already read his "resume", a "Vehicle Commander" in the National Guard. Yea, sounds impressive unless you realize all that means is that all that means is that he was the senior person in the vehicle (and normally the passenger). Prior to that, he worked at Little Caesars.

And his title is what is often called "Corporate Vague". "Engineering Project Manager", that could mean just that he was in charge of the guys who attached the wheels. He has an MBA, so it is not like he is actually an engineer. I have had a great many "Manager" and "Senior" positions during my career, those are often thrown in by HR to make a position sound better for applicants. It does not necessarily mean anything.

Until you can prove otherwise your speculation is just... well, speculation.

I really could not care less who or what he is to be perfectly honest. He could be a Broney, he might like to play football and drink on weekends, I really could not care less.

You're the one wondering why there isn't more dirt on this guy. :shrug:

Until you can prove otherwise your speculation is just... well, speculation.

ROFL!

Dude, read his resume. "Vehicle Commander", then "Engineering Project Manager". And trust me, I know what a Vehicle Commander is in the Army. Been there, done that, did not even bother to put it on my resume.

And I am not wondering why there is "not more dirt", I am wondering why we are only hearing from one side. However, I also largely think he is a non-entity. Just another lowly cog in a corporate machine, living in a bankrupt city. Who has a resume that basically says "I delivered pizza, I was in the National Guard, I worked for General Dynamics".

ROFL!

Dude, read his resume. "Vehicle Commander", then "Engineering Project Manager". And trust me, I know what a Vehicle Commander is in the Army. Been there, done that, did not even bother to put it on my resume.

I don't know the specific duties of his professions. But I don't see how you can say he is not a defense contractor.

A defense contractor (or security contractor) is a business organization or individual that provides products or services to a military or intelligence department of a government. Products typically include military or civilian aircraft, ships, vehicles, weaponry, and electronic systems. Services can include logistics, technical support and training, communications support, and in some cases team-based engineering in cooperation with the government.
Defense contractor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I am not wondering why there is "not more dirt", I am wondering why we are only hearing from one side. However, I also largely think he is a non-entity. Just another lowly cog in a corporate machine, living in a bankrupt city.

"Lowly cog" or not, he witnessed firsthand how corrupt our system is.

Who has a resume that basically says "I delivered pizza, I was in the National Guard, I worked for General Dynamics".

And Snowden was a high school dropout yet ended up making six figures with access to national secrets. So what? Everyone started somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom