• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Discussion Thread: RabidAlpaca v. German Guy

7 posts in 7 days? I think there is a formatting error.

Scratch that, I see a debate might not have a time limit on responses.

Scratch that, I see a debate might not have a time limit on responses.

Yes, I believe they agreed to an opening statement and then a 10 post cap with no time limit.

Yes, I believe they agreed to an opening statement and then a 10 post cap with no time limit.

It seems to have failed.

It seems to have failed.

I know I'm not supposed to post here, so mods feel free to delete this or infract me or whatever, but what the hell are you talking about? We agreed on no time limit, and a 10 post limit, which we're following. Stop ****ing bitching. Either discuss the debate or move on.

I know I'm not supposed to post here, so mods feel free to delete this or infract me or whatever, but what the hell are you talking about? We agreed on no time limit, and a 10 post limit, which we're following. Stop ****ing bitching. Either discuss the debate or move on.

Few viewers will have the attention span to watch a cage match that goes on for weeks and in which the action is days apart. Not only that viewers are not allowed to comment much on the ongoing action, they were asked to wait until the event was over at which time for many might consider it yesterdays newspaper.

I read the ongoing threads about the development of this program and was disappointed that the creators didn't address what should have been the first and primary question in an endeavor such is this.

Which was, why are we doing it and what does success look like?

Few viewers will have the attention span to watch a cage match that goes on for weeks and in which the action is days apart. Not only that viewers are not allowed to comment much on the ongoing action, they were asked to wait until the event was over at which time for many might consider it yesterdays newspaper.

I read the ongoing threads about the development of this program and was disappointed that the creators didn't address what should have been the first and primary question in an endeavor such is this.

Luckily neither German Guy or myself give a flying rat's ass what you think. We're not here for you. Either contribute or go cruise around one of the other million threads on this forum. Either way, stop bitching on our discussion thread.

Luckily neither German Guy or myself give a flying rat's ass what you think. We're not here for you. Either contribute or go cruise around one of the other million threads on this forum. Either way, stop bitching on our discussion thread.

That you think, as do many others, the purpose of the True Debates was to stroke the participants shows it got off on the wrong foot at the beginning.

It was destined to fail.

Alpaca, why are you arguing with me when you should be posting to your debate thread? Seriously, 7 responses in 8 days?

ZZZzzzzz.

Alpaca, why are you arguing with me when you should be posting to your debate thread? Seriously, 7 responses in 8 days?

ZZZzzzzz.

You're too stupid to even know how the format goes. I posted last, so now I wait for my opponent, go troll someone else.

Then do not watch. If you do not like the pace, that is your problem. The debates are not here to entertain you, but to entertain the participants.

Moderator's Warning:
And now it is time to drop the subject of how long the debate is lasting. Thank you. In the future, if you have issues with the mechanics of the debates, please contact a mod, don't post about it.

The "fail" comment was about not having a time limit on responses.

tumblr_lih4jflc6s1qenzhno1_250.gif

I must admit that I originally had no interest in viewing this debate, even though I had no idea of the subject matter. My primary interests in the forum are generally (American) current events, and non-current events of the (American) nation's formation. i.e. constitutional principle. However this morning I woke early, had a full cup o'joe and was perusing the other forums, and ran across this thread... which led me to the debate thread.

After reading through the debate thread, I was frustrated by what I personally view as large swaths of debate material which are not covered by either debater.

I fully anticipated not having any agreement with German Guy's perspective, however I personally find much of the commentary by Alpaca has not addressed what I view as the 'meat', or underlying significance, of many of German Guy's comments, and even feel Alpaca has said things that are not exactly congruent with the American form of government, thereby also not addressing distinct differences between Europe in its current rendition under the EU, and the American ideology, and how this has bearing on EU's problems.

An example of this, I generally agree with Alpaca's comments about the shortcomings of a centralized government, however he seems to imply in post #7 that it is the job of the federal government to meet the needs of everyone, or even anyone, stating " our federal government still has an outrageously difficult time trying to fulfill the needs of everyone," which struck me as being in conflict with America's underlying principle, and also the root of the EU's problems. This also has bearing on German Guy's references in post #5 to "harmonize", and post #6 to "harmonized", which both set off bells and whistles for me, but Alpaca seems to at least somewhat accept harmonization by government as necessary in post #9, when this is the very root of the problems under the EU, and the increasing problems in the U.S. under highly inappropriate federal "harmonization".

Also both parties have stated underlying presumptions to their arguments, which seem to be untrue, or at least somewhat questionable, and yet these I have not seen these presumptions being challenged by either party, with perhaps one problem being that neither party has an interest in challenging them.

The result of which, again in my own perspective, is both sides of the debate have left large swaths underlying the overall discussion entirely "un-tilled", or unaddressed.

When hearing about these organized debates, I wondered if the two debating parties would have an established, vested interest in the discussion topic, perhaps from some previous thread exchange, or how the topic was chosen. Without such polar opposition of both parties regarding a specific topic, I imagined that the topic might not be thoroughly discussed, or "tilled". But then I don't know how this specific debate topic and participants came to be set.

Back
Top Bottom