• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Discussion for Forum Friendship commitment

Hmm. Why not merge the two forums, then, and share the expenses?
Or do you prefer having two separate ones?

Hmm. Why not merge the two forums, then, and share the expenses?
Or do you prefer having two separate ones?

We both have different overall goals.

We both have different overall goals.
Also, there are different methods used by each forum when it comes to Moderation, programming, and modifications...

We purposely agreed to write this..."We offer different flavors with similar tastes"...

HP has things which DP may never want to be used on the forum, and vice versa...

As an example - Over at HP we have a "Thank You" modification...It's a button that simply shows that you've agreed to a previous post without typing something like "I agree"...

Some members might think it's a wonderful addition...Some members might think it's the dumbest thing they'd ever seen...

It all comes down to individual preference...What we wanted to point out is that there is no "bad" or "evil" preference...Just a different one...

Unless, of course, you like both...:2wave:

Damnit, was gunna add that next week. lol

Didn't know you had it.

Damnit, was gunna add that next week. lol

Didn't know you had it.
Not a problem!...I personally like it...

That's another thing to point out as a "preventive measure"...

No one here should start thinking Forum A did something because because Forum B did something...We both use the same forum software and different modifications are available to both of us...Invariably, we'll end up with the same modification down the line someplace...

And besides...A good idea is a good idea...If I saw a new modification at DP and implement it at HP, it's not BECAUSE it's at DP...It's because I think it would be a nice addition...just because one forum saw it first doesn't mean anything...It's not a race...

Just last night, I threw some code at vauge I noticed wasn't on this forum...He liked it, so he added it...

Voila!
If he saw something back he notices isn't available at HP, he would do the same...

Get a room you two!

All this nice stuff is making me sick to my stomach.

I for one am a fan of the cuddliness. Plus, it'll make billo sick. Dont see a downside there.

Is it almost group hug time? :mrgreen:

:2grouphug

OK, I admit it. I've always wanted to use that emoticon. Felt like this was the right time.

Is it almost group hug time? :mrgreen:

:2grouphug

OK, I admit it. I've always wanted to use that emoticon. Felt like this was the right time.
Most of the icons are the same for both forums (I wanted to keep some familiarity for members from here)...

Added a few though...

When you type :galenrox, you get this...
weed.gif

You don't wanna know what happens when you type : Deegan without the space...:mrgreen:

Ok, lets not discuss who/which has what. lol

I can see this becoming another comparison thread fast...

We've had the group hug lets get back to normal programming.

My apologies if I indeed, added to the perception of warfare between forums. It was uncalled for and beneath me, though certainly not intended to create general dissent in one direction or another.

I am quite pleased the Hatchet had been Buried.

Words are nice.

Policy is better.

If both boards make it a policy that attack threads are to be removed, then they will show they mean it. If they don't, then you might as well try herding cats.

I will agree that forum wars are detrimental to both parties.

Words are nice.

Policy is better.

If both boards make it a policy that attack threads are to be removed, then they will show they mean it. If they don't, then you might as well try herding cats.

Great point, Gardener; I agree TOTALLY. Any comments/agreement on this from the powers that be?

Great point, Gardener; I agree TOTALLY. Any comments/agreement on this from the powers that be?

We do not condone deleting threads unless it is spam/advertisements.

Those types of threads should be moved to the unmodded and non-public areas of DP. Then, I would suggest that we all put the genius in his/her place. ;)

However, if the poster breaks a rule - you betcha they should get the warning/infraction needed to insure that it doesn't happen again along with moving the thread.

Those types of threads should be moved to the unmodded and non-public areas of DP. Then, I would suggest that we all put the genius in his/her place. ;)

However, if the poster breaks a rule - you betcha they should get the warning/infraction needed to insure that it doesn't happen again along with moving the thread.
Totally agree (Insert "HP" for "DP" here)...

We should make up a word or phrase for people who want to do this...Like a Scarlet Letter...

Forum Chickenhawk?...Loyalty Moron?...

Totally agree (Insert "HP" for "DP" here)...

We should make up a word or phrase for people who want to do this...Like a Scarlet Letter...

Forum Chickenhawk?...Loyalty Moron?...

That type of stuff belongs "down below", but I do not disagree.

So you have absolutely no true commitment and your words were just insincere window dressing.

One of your little nazis keeps piling it on in the basement, and I sure don't see you putting it in its place.

Sure, it's a cute trick to allow the attacks to continue while trying to claim you are commited to stopping them, but that is just a way to weasle out of responsibility.

Does anybody actually fall for that sort of posturing?

"Every post has a purpose and every post in it's place" is our philosophy.

As a DP vet, you should realize the goals of DP.

We claim to be un-biased and we are not going to go out of our way and change our standards and rules over another forum. We can only request that other forums do the same.

We have a friendship commitment that states:
FFC said:
Also, neither site should be used as a place to vent about what you don't like somewhere else. There has been a lot of venom started about on both sides and we feel that there is absolutely nothing productive about such commentary.

This is out of respect of each others forum. It is an acknowledgement request, but not a rule. If something negative is said *publically* about HP, be assured we will correct them directly as soon as it is reported/found.

We do not believe in deleting threads, and we are not going to start now.

We have private unmodded areas and currently they will remain so. Links and public commentary of subjects down there is against our rules. If you have issues with what is said down there you have two options:
1. Do not go in there.
2. Put them in their place with a reply.

One of your little nazis keeps piling it on in the basement, and I sure don't see you putting it in its place.
I can only request to refrain as it is unmodded area. I will do that now.

I wasn't priv. to the drama, can't say I'm sorry for it either, but hay, this is great. Everyone's getting along and cooperating...wonderful......how long until the "Edit" function is fixed ;) :mrgreen: :2wave:

well, if you 2 could reach a compromise...

Merge on.

Come on, it'd be a great way to have it wouldn't it?

you're both god fearing men. Be brave in your brother jesus and serve as one!

(seriously, I just want to know if you discussed at length about merging)

(seriously, I just want to know if you discussed at length about merging)
We have not addressed merging. Our goals, ideals, standards, and vision are currently incompatible. If those were to become more aligned with our own, we are open for discussion.

However, we wish them much success in their current adventure and we will not let our forum become a deterrent in their progression as proven in our Forum Friendship commitment.

jerry said:
how long until the "Edit" function is fixed
Jerry, I think I found a hidden issue with the edit button (fixed). Let me know if it works better for you now.

Last edited:
It's not posturing in the least. The two forums have different goals, but one common goal is the dedication to free speach. Thus if someone wants to badmouth DP on HP, in their dungeon, then neither side wants that thread deleted.

So it's not weasling out of responsibility, it's allowing people who have negative opinions of us to express those opinions in the right forums. You notice that we have the mod smack back forum in the basement? That exists solely so people can talk **** about the management, and we've done NOTHING to try to prevent that (I actually wish there was a little more to work with down there!)

In short, the goal of this cooperation is not to supress negative opinions. The goal of this cooperation is to make sure our role in this is not institutionally inspiring negative opinions that otherwise would not exist.

What we control are the institutions. We are not here to dictate people's opinions for them. And what we are doing is setting up the institutions in a way to minimize the notion that you have to be loyal to one or the other, because the next step after that is that once you do feel the need to be loyal to one over the other, and you end up assuming you're better than those who are loyal to the other side, and we have needless conflict that no one benefits from, and I do mean no one. We're saying there's no beef between us, it's all good, and if you like DP and don't like HP, just post here, if you like HP and not DP, just post there, and if you like both, then by all means post at both, it's what I do.

And I don't think our lack of willingness to support suppression of free speech casts even the slightest amount of doubt on the sincerity of this arrangement. If it's an all out mindless attack of either one, if it breaks another rule, then it'll be dealt with, and if it doesn't, it's that person's opinion and thus it's that person's perogative to put that out there.

Well, first of all, there is no such thing as complete free speech here. There would be no mods and no modding were this commitment to free speech treat such as inviolate. There are limits, obviously so, and so if you were to apply reasoning to the situation, you would have to acknowlege these limits as a basic fact. Since you do place limits upon what people can and cannot say, and this is born out but the fact that you have even removed people from the site because of the things they say, then you are hardly in a position to argue that it is your unflinching loyalty to free speech that motivates you to treat it as inviolate. You don't. Not by basic design nor action, you don't. There are rules here, you (collectively) supply these rules and you enforce them.

All you have done in this case is to say "it is acceptable to say these things here, but not there", and since the notion of free speech is at odds with the notion of preventing attacks upon other sites, then your creation of special places on your site where you allow such is just a device where you have created your own loophole in order to justify the hypocrisy inherent in saying you support these mutually exclusive objectives. Logic dictates that since you already do place limits on what people say here, and the content of this site is completely at your discretion, then the fact that you are avoiding placing limits upon what people say in one instance but not another is by conscious design. It is the nature of that design that I question here, since my bullshite detector has been ringing off the hook.

I have no problem with your placing limits on what people say. You are already doing that and I support that. What I don't support is the lack of integrity shown by an unwillingness to take responsibility for the fact that you already do control the content here, yet are trying to beg off such responsibility by claiming you are supporting some ideal your very role here contradicts.

You are trying to have it both ways. If you are so commited to free speech, then show it by your actions. Eliminate the moderation here entirely and turn it into a free for all. If you are commited to eliminating interboard squabbling, though,then do that. Place limits on people's abilities to engage in such just like you place limits on people's abilities in other regards. You aren't being at all consistant when you do not exhibit actions that flow logically from the stances you say you are taking.

Back
Top Bottom