• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Discussion Egypt: This Time Islamists Strike Back in the Sinai.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
In Egypt's Sinai, militants intensify attacks.....

bb6053594fa66317370f6a7067007ef8.jpg

The charred remains of an armored vehicle are loaded onto a trick after a rocket-propelled grenade attack on a police checkpoint that killed a police colonel in El-Arish, Egypt

Military attack helicopters rattle over the impoverished desert towns of northern Sinai and the sound of gunfire erupts nightly, raising fears among residents of a looming confrontation between Egypt's military and Islamic militants who have intensified attacks since the ouster of President Mohammed Morsi.

Militant groups have grown bolder, striking security forces almost daily and also turning on local Christians. Some are now openly vowing to drive the military out of the peninsula on the borders with Israel and Gaza and establish an "Islamic emirate." Further fueling the turmoil is the longtime resentment among many in the Bedouin population over decades of neglect and harsh security crackdowns by the state.

For militants in Sinai, however, restoring Morsi is not the priority — they have said their goal is to drive out the military and the authority of the central government. His removal, however, took away a leader seen as reining in security crackdowns.

"Morsi had given them cover to a certain extent," said Ahmed Salama, who works for a leading civil society group in northern Sinai. Now extremists fear "the army can go after them," and at the same time "they see this as an opportunity to kick the army out of Sinai."

Shortly after Morsi's was removed from office, thousands held a rally in northern Sinai proclaiming over loudspeakers the formation of a so-called "war council." They proclaimed that "the era of peace is over" and vowed security forces would be expelled.

"Ansar al-Shariah wants to create an Islamic Emirate," said al-Manaee, a businessman with tribal links to extremists, referring to one of the militant groups operating in the area.

Extremist groups in Sinai had a complicated relationship with Morsi. The groups reject as too moderate the ideologies of his Muslim Brotherhood and even of the ultraconservative Salafis, viewing their participation in elections as heresy. Instead, they demand imposing a strict implementation of Shariah.

Salafis often mediated with militants and urged them to give the president a chance. The Salafis have wide influence in Sinai, and many of them sympathize with the extremists' goals, if not their violent methods.....snip~

In Egypt's Sinai, militants intensify attacks

Well, well, well....."lookie here"
icon_cyclops_ani.gif
..... at who just doesn't want to accept even what the MB and the Salafis have to say. Note the piece even while Morsi was in office they have not relented. Tells you a little bit more about that situation that We the US just don't like admitting to publicly.

Once again.....oh yeah, what that Name? Ansar al Shariah! Another one.....with this name huh? Then there is the one inside Libya remember, the same ones Clinton hired as security forces for our people in Benghazi. Who then launched an attack upon us killing Our Ambassador Stevens. Now lets not forget the Ansar al Shariah in Yemen either.

A little to much to handle.....huh? Well it was expected. :lol:

Heya Wolfie. :2wave: That link didn't come thru.....if ya have it. I will check it out. As I doubt I will be adding else to this.

Hi MMC!..I've modified it..it was missing a letter..

nah, just been noticing your posts. The Mail made sense for them. I'll give you a miss now. Not worth it to me.

You can press your ''ignore'' button...Obviously you are pro-Islamic..so any further discussion would be a waste of both our times...

You can press your ''ignore'' button...Obviously you are pro-Islamic..so any further discussion would be a waste of both our times...

I have read Alexa's postings for a few years and at two different sites, and her support goes WAY beyond being merely pro-Islamic. She is extremely pro-Islamist, supporting their methods as well as agenda.

I have read Alexa's postings for a few years and at two different sites, and her support goes WAY beyond being merely pro-Islamic. She is extremely pro-Islamist, supporting their methods as well as agenda.

I thought so...

Does she always press the ''ignore' button when people say things she doesn't want to hear??

I thought so...

Does she always press the ''ignore' button when people say things she doesn't want to hear??

I don't think she ever actually presses it. She does what many other hissy posters do and announces she has the other poster on ignore.

repeatedly.

I don't think she ever actually presses it. She does what many other hissy posters do and announces she has the other poster on ignore.

repeatedly.

I don't think I will lose any sleep tonight thinking about it!!:lamo

Looks like the MB wants to now bring in a 3rd party. From the EU. Once again.....the MB fails to understand the process of Negotiation. They just can't get past that part on.....insisting. What really does need to be explained to them is, the part on.....themselves being made an offer. One they Cannot refuse!

Exclusive: Egypt's Brotherhood proposes first crisis talks via EU envoy.....

The Muslim Brotherhood said on Thursday it had proposed through an EU go-between a framework for talks to resolve Egypt's political crisis, its first formal announcement of an offer for negotiations since President Mohamed Mursi was toppled.

Brotherhood official Gehad el-Haddad, who represented the movement in previous EU-facilitated talks, told Reuters the proposal had been made to envoy Bernardino Leon before a visit on Wednesday by EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton.

Leon confirmed he had offered the European Union's "good offices" to help resolve the crisis, although he said the term "mediator" exaggerated the role.

The proposal, as described by Haddad, was still in its early stages. He did not give details, described it as only a "framework" for opening a channel of dialogue, and insisted on the Brotherhood's firm demand that the July 3 "coup" that brought down Mursi be reversed.

He also said it was not clear who would represent the opposite side: the military which removed Mursi or politicians.....snip~

Exclusive: Egypt's Brotherhood proposes first crisis talks via EU envoy - Yahoo! News

Back
Top Bottom