• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Discernment or Slander?

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
With an air of superiority, he proclaimed, "I wouldn't read that person's books because I have discernment!"

The person he referenced was solidly biblical, but several sensationalist websites had slandered him by taking things he said out of context (Proverbs 16:28).

It reminded me of times I've confused discernment with sloppy research. Decades ago as a new Christian, I avoided C.S. Lewis because of warnings against his teachings!*

Instead of doing my homework on Lewis, I listened to a teacher who scrutinized minor, insignificant quotes from Lewis while ignoring his consistently biblical teaching

I'm not saying that we shouldn't judge teachers who are not teaching Bible truths (Ephesians 5:11). But we can do that by examining their overall teaching and the way they live. We don't need to scrutinize and extrapolate minor details which don't accurately represent them.

Yes, I've arrogantly thought I possessed discernment at times, but I was simply trusting others to do my research and my thinking for me (Proverbs 11:9).

Let's not make this mistake, dear Christians, because it's slander!
-----------------------
* No one is 100% accurate. We should judge error wherever it is found, both from biblical and false teachers (Acts 17:11). But minor errors do not make someone a false teacher. ~ I don't agree with every detail of Lewis' teaching, but overall, his books accurately and stunningly present God, faith and the Bible.
https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2015/12/discernment-or-slander.html

With an air of superiority, he proclaimed, "I wouldn't read that person's books because I have discernment!"

The person he referenced was solidly biblical, but several sensationalist websites had slandered him by taking things he said out of context (Proverbs 16:28).

It reminded me of times I've confused discernment with sloppy research. Decades ago as a new Christian, I avoided C.S. Lewis because of warnings against his teachings!*

Instead of doing my homework on Lewis, I listened to a teacher who scrutinized minor, insignificant quotes from Lewis while ignoring his consistently biblical teaching

I'm not saying that we shouldn't judge teachers who are not teaching Bible truths (Ephesians 5:11). But we can do that by examining their overall teaching and the way they live. We don't need to scrutinize and extrapolate minor details which don't accurately represent them.

Yes, I've arrogantly thought I possessed discernment at times, but I was simply trusting others to do my research and my thinking for me (Proverbs 11:9).

Let's not make this mistake, dear Christians, because it's slander!
-----------------------
* No one is 100% accurate. We should judge error wherever it is found, both from biblical and false teachers (Acts 17:11). But minor errors do not make someone a false teacher. ~ I don't agree with every detail of Lewis' teaching, but overall, his books accurately and stunningly present God, faith and the Bible.
https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2015/12/discernment-or-slander.html

Does this mean you are admitting the men who wrote the Bible, and therefore the Bible itself, were not 100% accurate?

Does this mean you are admitting the men who wrote the Bible, and therefore the Bible itself, were not 100% accurate?
No, they were inspired of God, unlike any other humans on earth...

So when you said "no one is 100% accurate", was that a lie? Does inspiration by god destroy free will? Did those men no longer have the free will to insert their own biases?

So when you said "no one is 100% accurate", was that a lie? Does inspiration by god destroy free will? Did those men no longer have the free will to insert their own biases?
No...no...yes, they did...God changes a person from the inside out, for the better...the inspired men of the Bible support that fact...

And, I am sure you can give us objective and tangible evidence of that.

but, you won't , because.

No...no...yes, they did...God changes a person from the inside out, for the better...the inspired men of the Bible support that fact...

Do you seriously not see the circular logic in that statement?

Do you seriously not see the circular logic in that statement?
No, what I do see is people who are blinded from the truth...

No, what I do see is people who are blinded from the truth...

Your argument was “they must have been inspired by god because they wrote the Bible and we can see that by looking at the Bible”. That’s a purely circular argument.

I was simply trusting others to do my research and my thinking for me

First honest and clear thing you've said all week. Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom