• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disbelieve it or not, ancient history suggests that atheism is as natural to humans as religion

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Disbelieve it or not, ancient history suggests that atheism is as natural to humans as religion​

renderTimingPixel.png

I found this article and thought it might bring up some interesting discussion points. I see religious people making claims that religion is a natural proclivity to mankind. This article completely refutes that claim. Let me know what you think. https://phys.org/news/2016-02-disbelieve-ancient-history-atheism-natural.html

The rebellious spirit is nothing new...aka Satan, Adam and Eve...

Disbelieve it or not, ancient history suggests that atheism is as natural to humans as religion​

renderTimingPixel.png

I found this article and thought it might bring up some interesting discussion points. I see religious people making claims that religion is a natural proclivity to mankind. This article completely refutes that claim. Let me know what you think. https://phys.org/news/2016-02-disbelieve-ancient-history-atheism-natural.html
Everyone is born an atheist. Most just have religion/belief pushed on them as impressionable children.

I guess that makes faith the theistic version of Covid. Yeah, I wouldn't want to get infected with that.
Awww, he's kinda cute...

Everyone is born an atheist. Most just have religion/belief pushed on them as impressionable children.
You might just be surprised by how many children experience God for themselves. ;)

You might just be surprised by how many children experience God for themselves. ;)
Right, because children never make things up or blindly accept what their parents or some authority says. >sarc<

Right, because children never make things up or blindly accept what their parents or some authority says. >sarc<
Some do. Some don't. I didn't. And I began going to church on my own when I was 10-11...and still do. So spare me your sarcasm; there are children who experience God for themselves early, and I am one of them.

Some do. Some don't. I didn't. And I began going to church on my own when I was 10-11...and still do. So spare me your sarcasm; there are children who experience God for themselves early, and I am one of them.
Good for you. And I suppose there were no other possible outside influences? Especially in a church, right? Kids sure are impressionable.

Good for you. And I suppose there were no other possible outside influences? Especially in a church, right? Kids sure are impressionable.
Now you're looking for justifications for your prejudicial point of view, so there is not anything else I can say but to affirm that my own experience made a lifelong impression on me.

It is rather remarkable that every major society, and most minor ones, have developed religion. There have always been dissenters, usurpers and antagonists but the commitment to religion has persevered all along

Now you're looking for justifications for your prejudicial point of view, so there is not anything else I can say but to affirm that my own experience made a lifelong impression on me.
No justification. Merely more rational explanations.

It is rather remarkable that every major society, and most minor ones, have developed religion. There have always been dissenters, usurpers and antagonists but the commitment to religion has persevered all along
It just means human nature is both doesn’t change and can be inconsistent.

It just means human nature is both doesn’t change and can be inconsistent.
Those are the exact reasons that religion is necessary. Universal truth is essential for civilization to prosper

Those are the exact reasons that religion is necessary. Universal truth is essential for civilization to prosper
That will never work (or has worked) and just devolves into ever stricter social controls enforced through physical violence to support an ever more corrupt religious institution.

The truth is that this will not get better until human nature changes and that’s on Gods timing and human effort will never really change that needle on the dial.

That will never work (or has worked) and just devolves into ever stricter social controls enforced through physical violence to support an ever more corrupt religious institution.

The truth is that this will not get better until human nature changes and that’s on Gods timing and human effort will never really change that needle on the dial.
Things will not get better until humanity collectively grows up and abandons the need for Bronze Age fairy tales like god/s.

No, not really. I don't think we are somehow hard-wired towards religion. We are curious. We wanna know how stuff works. How our world works. That was especially important for ancient people at the mercy of mother nature and that's what they did. Trying to figure stuff out. Considering the limitations of their knowledge at the time - coming up with a God or gods was reasonable. Now of course we know better.

No it's not.
It is.

When social and ethical truth becomes relative only to our own immediate circumstances, individually or collectively, it becomes a self serving version of truth. When something is self serving everything that is not in service of the self becomes a threat to the self. The reaction to that threat is ALWAYS some form of destruction and destruction inevitably stymies productivity and growth.

It is.

When social and ethical truth becomes relative only to our own immediate circumstances, individually or collectively, it becomes a self serving version of truth. When something is self serving everything that is not in service of the self becomes a threat to the self. The reaction to that threat is ALWAYS some form of destruction and destruction inevitably stymies productivity and growth.

There is nothing called truth that applies objectively and universally. Thinking that there is brings about dangerous authoritarianism.

There is nothing called truth that applies objectively and universally. Thinking that there is brings about dangerous authoritarianism.
When truth is determined by man, that's true. When it's determined by God, it's quite the opposite.

Utter rubbish. America has prospered for more than 200 years, and we have never once accepted a universal truth as a group.

The rebellious spirit is nothing new...aka Satan, Adam and Eve...

What does atheism have to do with a "rebellious spirit?"

Back
Top Bottom