• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disbarred NYC lawyer gets 15 months for firebombing NYPD vehicle during George Floyd unrest

They were not in the building when the trespassers were allowed in by the guards.
There were most certainly lawmakers still inside the chamber when the pro-Trump rioters breached the Capitol and they had come within mere feet of several of them. They were not "allowed" in. They violently forced their way in.

I'm guessing that you don't know it's 2022 and information can be gathered and delivered much more quickly these days. Just a heads up.
Alaska is ranked 49th among the US states in terms of internet access. Another factor is that Alaska reverted back to tabulating absentee(mail-in ballots) several days after the election instead of the same day of the election as in 2018 and 2020. Previously the tabulation of absentee ballots was an afterthought as there generally wasn't many of them. But the pandemic changed all that and why they reverted back to the old way I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if Alaska Republicans were involved in that decision.

There were most certainly lawmakers still inside the chamber when the pro-Trump rioters breached the Capitol and they had come within mere feet of several of them. They were not "allowed" in. They violently forced their way in.
Guards waved them in. There are videos.

Only what the Dems wanted you to see. It’s how propaganda works.
I saw it on my tv..live. So I don't know wtf it is you're talking about, and evidently neither do you.

I saw it on my tv..live. So I don't know wtf it is you're talking about, and evidently neither do you.
You saw what/ Guards waving peaceful protesters in? I thought you were saying it didn't happen?

Disbarred NYC lawyer gets 15 months for firebombing NYPD vehicle during George Floyd unrest​

A now-disbarred New York City attorney was sentenced Friday to 15 months for firebombing an empty police vehicle along with another lawyer using a Molotov cocktail in the midst of violent clashes with authorities following the murder of George Floyd.

Urooj Rahman asked a judge to spare her from serving prison time and give her a "second chance," in what she described as a lapse of judgment.

"I’m so incredibly sorry for my reckless and wrong actions," Rahman said in a Brooklyn federal court, Fox New York reported. "I don’t think there’s enough words to express my sorrow and regret. ... I completely lost my way in the emotion of the night."

Article

At least they weren't trespassing, then they would have gotten some real time! They were asking for 10 years, all of a sudden only 15 months. I wonder what happened. But, they are really, really, sorry.
As long as the fire bombing was "mostly peaceful" the sentence seems appropriate.

You saw what/ Guards waving peaceful protesters in? I thought you were saying it didn't happen?
Thought you were an adult. Guess I was wrong.

Disbarred NYC lawyer gets 15 months for firebombing NYPD vehicle during George Floyd unrest​

A now-disbarred New York City attorney was sentenced Friday to 15 months for firebombing an empty police vehicle along with another lawyer using a Molotov cocktail in the midst of violent clashes with authorities following the murder of George Floyd.

Urooj Rahman asked a judge to spare her from serving prison time and give her a "second chance," in what she described as a lapse of judgment.

"I’m so incredibly sorry for my reckless and wrong actions," Rahman said in a Brooklyn federal court, Fox New York reported. "I don’t think there’s enough words to express my sorrow and regret. ... I completely lost my way in the emotion of the night."

Article

At least they weren't trespassing, then they would have gotten some real time! They were asking for 10 years, all of a sudden only 15 months. I wonder what happened. But, they are really, really, sorry.

15 months for such a crime does seem inappropriate yes. I do not get what has happened myself and I am a lawyer. I do not get it. If anything the sentence should take into account no leniency because we lawyers do not have the excuse of not knowing what we do is illegal. We know better than the layperson. Now mind you ignorance of the law is no legal excuse for anyone in court, but for we lawyers it does add an extra responsibility as to how we are expected to behave in upholding the legal system.

If it makes Americans feel any better, these kind of sentences seem prevalent in all equivalent criminal legal systems like with us in Canada and the UK. You are not alone. Ask people in Norway, France and Germany as well.

I can explain with a sentence that has a range of jail time, on first offence the Judge must start at the low end of the range, then move to the middle range on second offence then third range on the third or further offences. I am not sure in this case what actual sentence was arrived at and the official sentence of conviction. It may explain the low range. I defer to someone who knows the actual criminal offence conviction and the range of sentence it allowed. That might explain what happened a bit. Also I am not sure if this was as a result of a plea bargain in some part of the process which changed the original charge. Often with weak evidence prosecutors might opt for lesser convictions. I do not know if that happened in this case.

15 months for such a crime does seem inappropriate yes. I do not get what has happened myself and I am a lawyer. I do not get it. If anything the sentence should take into account no leniency because we lawyers do not have the excuse of not knowing what we do is illegal. We know better than the layperson. Now mind you ignorance of the law is no legal excuse for anyone in court, but for we lawyers it does add an extra responsibility as to how we are expected to behave in upholding the legal system.

If it makes Americans feel any better, these kind of sentences seem prevalent in all equivalent criminal legal systems like with us in Canada and the UK. You are not alone. Ask people in Norway, France and Germany as well.

I can explain with a sentence that has a range of jail time, on first offence the Judge must start at the low end of the range, then move to the middle range on second offence then third range on the third or further offences. I am not sure in this case what actual sentence was arrived at and the official sentence of conviction. It may explain the low range. I defer to someone who knows the actual criminal offence conviction and the range of sentence it allowed. That might explain what happened a bit. Also I am not sure if this was as a result of a plea bargain in some part of the process which changed the original charge. Often with weak evidence prosecutors might opt for lesser convictions. I do not know if that happened in this case.
It looks to be a result of the Biden DOJ intervening, in some way, because they consider BLM activists political allies. So they stepped in. Now, if they were a political enemy, such as the Capitol protesters, they are hunting people down and overcharging, trying to put people who were just there, in jail. I wonder if they would have been given 15 months if they fire bombed a CPD car at the Capitol?

It looks to be a result of the Biden DOJ intervening, in some way, because they consider BLM activists political allies. So they stepped in. Now, if they were a political enemy, such as the Capitol protesters, they are hunting people down and overcharging, trying to put people who were just there, in jail. I wonder if they would have been given 15 months if they fire bombed a CPD car at the Capitol?
This is the most politicized administration in the history of America.

Biden never intervened. If you are going to accuse him of doing that prove it. We have enough manure from Russian trolls posing as Americans on this forum. Thanks. There is an old expression: its hard for an elephant to be subtle when it has diaheria. (actually I made it up just now ) Or let me put it in picture form for you prefaced with this comment-you do not need to identify the source to know its emitting gas fumes. Cough

1669400459568.png

Biden never intervened.
You know that how? And, to be clear, it would be the DOJ, not Biden. He has no clue what's going on.
If you are going to accuse him of doing that prove it. We have enough manure from Russian trolls posing as Americans on this forum. Thanks. There is an old expression: its hard for an elephant to be subtle when it has diaheria. (actually I made it up just now ) Or let me put it in picture form for you prefaced with this comment-you do not need to identify the source to know its emitting gas fumes.
They asked for 10 years. Then, all of a sudden, that dropped that to 15 months, below the guidelines. I could make a good guess as to what happened, adhering to you diarrhea thinking example.

While other lawyers condemned their conduct, some objected to the severity of the charges, arguing that the case was improperly handled as if it were an act of domestic terrorism. When the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn asked that the lawyers be detained without bail, 56 former federal prosecutors sent a legal brief to the court criticizing the government’s handling of the case.

Quite the attention these two got, right? 56 former federal prosecutors got involved. People that worked at DOJ. I'd venture to guess that DOJ was quite involved here.

Yet, where are these 56 former prosecutors when other Americans are facing gulag like conditions and going to jail for trespassing? Another guess of mine... politics might be involved.

Your reply on the videos was more akin to something a grade school kid would say to try to be funny. On order of I know you are but what am I.

Your reply on the videos was more akin to something a grade school kid would say to try to be funny. On order of I know you are but what am I.
Got it. Thanks.

There it is. You want to make the Jan 6th folk out to be victims of the evil government.

Your motive in the op was transparent to say the least.
Yet, Of the 50-plus defendants who have been sentenced for their role in the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, fewer than half were sent to jail for their crimes. Most received an assortment of lesser penalties, including brief terms of house arrest, a couple years of probation, four-figure fines or court-ordered community service.

I’m glad they are seeing jail time. It does not matter the cause, violence and property damage should be prosecuted.

Does anyone know who made the Molotovs that were thrown? If the defendant had any part in making them and deliberately seeking out police vehicles, then this seems highly premeditated and 15 months doesn’t seem like enough… I would expect 5 years. If they were being stupid and someone else handed them a fiery thing that they immediately lobbed at the nearest car… that’s still felony and a jail term but 15 months probably does the job.

The context around their behavior that night is not clear from the articles.

That's a cowardly way of avoiding having to admit what you know is true.
Yeah, like you would know what is true too. It's appears that the little clown car has officially arrived in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom