• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disabled vet booed in speech

chromium

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Gay combat vet who lost leg in Iraq booed by anti-gay protesters in San Antonio – LGBTQ Nation

SAN ANTONIO — A highly decorated openly gay Iraq war combat veteran was booed by a crowd of anti-gay protesters during his speech to the San Antonio City Council meeting Wednesday evening.

Former Marine Staff Sergeant Eric Alva — a San Antonio native who was the first American service member seriously injured in the Iraq War when he stepped on a land mine in March 2003 and lost his right leg — was speaking in favor of a proposed addition to the city’s non-discrimination law that would add protections for sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran status.

But as Alva began to deliver his remarks, many in the crowd of approximately 200 people attending the council meeting began to boo.

“To all you people that preach the word of God, shame on you because God loves me, like the day I laid bleeding on the sands of Iraq and that’s why he saved me,” Alva told the crowd as left the podium, still visibly shaken from the crowd’s reaction.

Later on Facebook, Alva wrote:

“Well I just left city council chambers and I feel like crying. I have never seen a city so divided and hateful towards each other. All of man kind should be ashamed. I already spoke and even some of the religious groups even boo’ed me as I spoke. Such disrespect as they preach the word of God.”

Prior to the council session, local anti-gay rights advocate Pastor Charles Flowers of the Faith Outreach Center led a prayer vigil and demonstration outside City Hall where he told the crowd, “Let them vote ‘no’ to this ordinance, and ‘yes’ to the reign of the kingdom of God.”

Is it a new low or just the usual religiously fueled hatred? Of course it reminds me of the RNC, but for some reason this seems worse, maybe because this is his 'community.' It wasn't just yesterday that DADT was repealed, yet to the right wing, this seems like the one scenario where it's still perfectly acceptable to disrespect a veteran.

yet to the right wing, this seems like the one scenario where it's still perfectly acceptable to disrespect a veteran.

I don't think this group speaks for the entire right wing.

No, but a pretty big chunk of it tends to agree with them. It would be nice if you would excise that part of your wing, but a whole lot of elected right wing politicians either cater to that group or are part of it.

Gay combat vet who lost leg in Iraq booed by anti-gay protesters in San Antonio – LGBTQ Nation

SAN ANTONIO — A highly decorated openly gay Iraq war combat veteran was booed by a crowd of anti-gay protesters during his speech to the San Antonio City Council meeting Wednesday evening.

Former Marine Staff Sergeant Eric Alva — a San Antonio native who was the first American service member seriously injured in the Iraq War when he stepped on a land mine in March 2003 and lost his right leg — was speaking in favor of a proposed addition to the city’s non-discrimination law that would add protections for sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran status.

But as Alva began to deliver his remarks, many in the crowd of approximately 200 people attending the council meeting began to boo.

“To all you people that preach the word of God, shame on you because God loves me, like the day I laid bleeding on the sands of Iraq and that’s why he saved me,” Alva told the crowd as left the podium, still visibly shaken from the crowd’s reaction.

“Well I just left city council chambers and I feel like crying. I have never seen a city so divided and hateful towards each other. All of man kind should be ashamed. I already spoke and even some of the religious groups even boo’ed me as I spoke. Such disrespect as they preach the word of God.”

Prior to the council session, local anti-gay rights advocate Pastor Charles Flowers of the Faith Outreach Center led a prayer vigil and demonstration outside City Hall where he told the crowd, “Let them vote ‘no’ to this ordinance, and ‘yes’ to the reign of the kingdom of God.”

Is it a new low or just the usual religiously fueled hatred? Of course it reminds me of the RNC, but for some reason this seems worse, maybe because this is his 'community.' It wasn't just yesterday that DADT was repealed, yet to the right wing, this seems like the one scenario where it's still perfectly acceptable to disrespect a veteran.

It's heartbreaking to me that a man who willingly served his country, and paid an incredibly painful price for doing so, would be so horribly disrespected by a group of hatemongers. Completely unacceptable. Shame on the people who behaved that way.

However, it's going too far to attribute the behavior of a few vicious, hateful individuals to millions of others simply because of their political ideology. Most republicans I know are incredibly supportive of the military and grateful to those who have served this country regardless of their sexual orientation. That's why I reject your comment that "to the right wing, this seems like the one scenario where it's still perfectly acceptable to disrespect a veteran." All you or anyone can legitimately say is that to the people who behaved so hatefully, it was apparently acceptable to disrespect a veteran. That much is true. Your broader generalization is not true.

The same sort that booed a gay soldier at a Repub primary debate. Priebus may have a 30-second delay in case of these bloopers. The same group that blames Obama for Katrina, 3 years before it happened.

The same sort that booed a gay soldier at a Repub primary debate. Priebus may have a 30-second delay in case of these bloopers. The same group that blames Obama for Katrina, 3 years before it happened.

The super religious social conservatives tend to be one of the most politically active groups of people. Who tends to go to primary debates? The most politically active people. It does not by any means represent most of the right wing.

Right, because nobody on the left has ever shown disrespect to veterans or the military. Lol.

BTW, if the guy had been booed for giving a pro-life speech, I wonder if the OP would be similarly incensed. I doubt he gives a **** about the vet. To him, he's just a political tool (while the OP is just a plain tool :peace).

code-pink-murder-troops.jpg

I'm trying to digest what "most of the right wing" is you are referring to. The ones coming to townhalls participating in shutdown talk? Or those that just want to skip right to impeachment? And now the debt? Why would there be any sustained positive feeling in this country when the Repubs are out to destroy the POTUS, their words?
The super religious social conservatives tend to be one of the most politically active groups of people. Who tends to go to primary debates? The most politically active people. It does not by any means represent most of the right wing.

I'm trying to digest what "most of the right wing" is you are referring to. The ones coming to townhalls participating in shutdown talk? Or those that just want to skip right to impeachment? And now the debt? Why would there be any sustained positive feeling in this country when the Repubs are out to destroy the POTUS, their words?

I think you'll find that the majority of Republicans do not want to shut down the government and do not want to impeach Obama. Of course, not wanting to do those things isn't newsworthy so you only hear about the ones who do.

and now we have a derail of the thread and definitely---not lol---you know all the "legal DP" ways to trash an OP

I think you'll find that the majority of Republicans do not want to shut down the government and do not want to impeach Obama. Of course, not wanting to do those things isn't newsworthy so you only hear about the ones who do.

You know you're wasting your time, right? It's not like anyone's going to be all, "Hey you, of a different political lean, you have a fair point". :D

such as 80 signatures on a letter to Boehner today--they shut it down with only 25 no votes in july 2011 since they couldn't get 218 votes--this talk is all over DP from conservs--the 218 vote talk is back--with the debt thrown in--you can't be missing that

Until we see Repubs resign from sabotaging and destroying the economy and damn near everything else in the Country to get at Obama, one must fight their fire with a bigger fire. That's all this crew gets.

Ohh and all liberals are out to destroy the country. Hur dee dur.

:lol:

Btw, isn't it odd that we're so often told that criticizing the government is not the same hate hating the whole country or wanting to destroy it?

True

It's a shame that 99% of the right wingers give the other 1% a bad name

I can safely say that a majority of right wingers would not boo a disabled military vet no matter the cause he was arguing. There are certainly a few more birthers and government shutdowners than I would like, but some on this thread are overestimating.

I can safely say that a majority of right wingers would not boo a disabled military vet no matter the cause he was arguing. There are certainly a few more birthers and government shutdowners than I would like, but some on this thread are overestimating.

Yes, the majority hate that stuff.

It's why they keep voting for anti-gay politicians :roll:

And as far as booing a disabled vet, I guess you don't remember how they booed the disabled vet from Fla during his re-election campaign. They even said it was his own fault he was injured.

Yes, the majority hate that stuff.

It's why they keep voting for anti-gay politicians :roll:

No, a majority disapprove of homosexuality and at the very least want to keep them from marrying, a position I disagree with. But a majority would not do what those in the OP did.

No, a majority disapprove of homosexuality and at the very least want to keep them from marrying, a position I disagree with. But a majority would not do what those in the OP did.

No, the majority have no problem booing a disabled military vet. Don't you remember booing the disable vet from Fla when he ran for re-election? They even said his injuries were his own fault.

on edit: I misremembered the state. It was Georgia

Last edited:
No, the majority have no problem booing a disabled military vet. Don't you remember booing the disable vet from Fla when he ran for re-election? They even said his injuries were his own fault.

No. Do you mean Max Cleland from Georgia? If so, yes I do remember that, and I remember a lot of Republican outrage at some of the attacks in that campaign and some Republican senators forcing the Chambliss campaign to stop.

There is nothing new about this bigotry......Far right conservatives and fundamentalists hate the pro gay rights movement and gays in general... So much for religion in my book...They did the same thing during one of the Republican primary debates.. It is disgusting....It is despicable..i

No. Do you mean Max Cleland from Georgia? If so, yes I do remember that, and I remember a lot of Republican outrage at some of the attacks in that campaign and some Republican senators forcing the Chambliss campaign to stop.

Yes, I meant him.

And no, there was not a lot of republican outrage about it. Republicans voted for Chambliss - that's how they showed their "outrage"

I'm curious about the outrage on this thread. If the speaker had not been gay, would the same people be just as concerned with his treatment? If not, then using the military angel is pandering and dishonest.

Back
Top Bottom