• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disable Vet Harassed By Police Because of Service Dog

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A New Jersey cop cites a 19 year army disabled vet and kicks him off the boardwalk for having a service dog. And this happened after the vet provided the cop with the dog's proper papers. The cop also harassed the disabled vet and mocked him asking him if all veterans get to have their own personal service dog.

Law enforcement is often out of control these days in America. IMHO the veteran should file a suit against the cop for committing a hate crime. How much crap do veterans have to take?

[h=1]Disabled Army veteran harassed by police because of service dog[/h]What would you want done to the cop?

Last edited:
Cops are just the military arm of the government and, as we all know, government is special.

I'm serious. The disabled vet's civil rights were violated by a thug with a badge. Seems to me it might be reasonable that the cop violated the disabled vet's civil rights. It would be grand if the ACLU accepted the case and filed against the city for not training its policemen regarding the ADA. No one could convince me the cop had never heard of service dogs, disabled vets and the Americans With Disabilities Act. The cop acted out of malice.

There are many good cops out there. In my experience the good cops want to get rid of the scumbag cops just as much as anyone else does.

Ableist jerk with a badge.

This guy was definitely a jerk, but at least he didn't beat the vet up; that's something in today's day and age of police thuggery.

My punishment for the cop would be some community service at the VA or some other organization that helps disabled veterans.

This guy was definitely a jerk, but at least he didn't beat the vet up; that's something in today's day and age of police thuggery.

My punishment for the cop would be some community service at the VA or some other organization that helps disabled veterans.

This is perfect!!!

I take it no one is interested in the cops story, just get a rope and find the nearest tree right - media said he's bad - lets get a rope come on - lets find a tree - a lynching is in order right?

I have my doubts the police officer can defend his actions in this, it doesn't sound good for him. I'd like to think none of the police officers I'm training, 31 recruits right now, would act this way towards a veteran. In fact I can't imagine one of them would - just knowing them like I do. Still its clear people who right these stories don't even bother to ask - why was the officer taking an interest in you? Do you have a recording of him saying those awful things? I didn't see a youtube video attached to the story? I was hoping to see one.

There 100's of thousands of police officers out there people - you are going to find some really crappy ones. That is what internal affairs is for and it appears they are already involved in this one. Throwing the profession under the bus for one mans bad act? Seriously? So are we to blame all San Francisco residents for being racist because one fan threw a banana peel at a black player on the field?

This is perfect!!!

Indeed, in our world it would be the most logical thing to do. In their world it doesn't compute. The worst thing that will happen to the cop is that he'll get a letter in his file.

Statistics tell us that at some point in this cop's life he will be directly affected by a permanent disability. The cop or someone he loves will become disabled. From that day forward he will live in a different and less forgiving world. Chances are, however, he will be too ****ing stupid to connect the dots to his past and see the error of his ways.

People are more disabled by the attitudes of others than they are by their own physical, cognitive and or emotional challenges. Whatever we do for others today we do for ourselves and the people we love tomorrow.

I take it no one is interested in the cops story, just get a rope and find the nearest tree right - media said he's bad - lets get a rope come on - lets find a tree - a lynching is in order right?

I have my doubts the police officer can defend his actions in this, it doesn't sound good for him. I'd like to think none of the police officers I'm training, 31 recruits right now, would act this way towards a veteran. In fact I can't imagine one of them would - just knowing them like I do. Still its clear people who right these stories don't even bother to ask - why was the officer taking an interest in you? Do you have a recording of him saying those awful things? I didn't see a youtube video attached to the story? I was hoping to see one.

There 100's of thousands of police officers out there people - you are going to find some really crappy ones. That is what internal affairs is for and it appears they are already involved in this one. Throwing the profession under the bus for one mans bad act? Seriously? So are we to blame all San Francisco residents for being racist because one fan threw a banana peel at a black player on the field?

No one is saying everyone in law enforcement is bad. I'm very pleased to hear that you train your recruits not to act as this cop did. We need more of that. I've known a couple of street hard detectives who have gone out of their way, way beyond their job, to make life a little easier for people with disabilities. If also known personally of situations where people with disabilities were treated no better than animals. I can give you specific examples.

If, as a cop, you can no longer find compassion or if you never had it to start with, it's time for you to find something else to do because you are no better than the thugs on the street. The good people in law enforcement don't want thugs wearing a badge either.

I don't know, something sounds fishy about this story.

I must admit opening the link seeing the vet surprized me. In my prejudgemental mind I had picture the vet would look like one of those susposed vets at the corner to the freeway with sign asking money for a disabled bet But I was wrong and maybe my suspicion of the validity of this story could be wrong too.

Reading the linked article, it seems a little less cop was evil. There seems to have been some legitimate confusion about it and it made it sound like the dog was more of a therapeutic animal for the guy's PTSD than an actual assistant animal in a traditional sense. The cop may have thought the guy was trying to pull a fast one on him.

I have seen people bring their purse dog into freaking restaurants. They clearly are not there for any reason other than they are the owner's latest fashion accessory. I have dogs. I like my dogs. I would never dream of taking my dogs into a grocery store or a restaurant but people do it with impunity. Perhaps education and clarification of the laws are the take always here, not po-po be evil.

Reading the linked article, it seems a little less cop was evil. There seems to have been some legitimate confusion about it and it made it sound like the dog was more of a therapeutic animal for the guy's PTSD than an actual assistant animal in a traditional sense. The cop may have thought the guy was trying to pull a fast one on him.

I have seen people bring their purse dog into freaking restaurants. They clearly are not there for any reason other than they are the owner's latest fashion accessory. I have dogs. I like my dogs. I would never dream of taking my dogs into a grocery store or a restaurant but people do it with impunity. Perhaps education and clarification of the laws are the take always here, not po-po be evil.

The law is pretty clear, and one would hope that a cop would be familiar with the law.

Under ADA, therapy dogs are considered just as much service animals as a seeing-aid dog.

Anyway, the dog helps him with medical issues relating to mobility

Last edited:
The law is pretty clear, and one would hope that a cop would be familiar with the law.

Under ADA, therapy dogs are considered just as much service animals as a seeing-aid dog.

Anyway, the dog helps him with medical issues relating to mobility

Yeah I could give a crap about the ADA being "pretty clear". Guess what--People who aren't disabled, and probably many who are, have no idea what the ADA says, including cops, and people use that thing like others abuse cries of racism. There was confusion about it. The fact that the guy was a veteran is irrelevant to the confusion. I have heard too many people whine about the ADA to give it much credence when people claim to be a victim. "I have a learning disability so I should be allowed all day to take the physics exam everybody else gets 2 hours for. That is my right as a disabled person!!":roll:

I have heard too many people whine about the ADA to give it much credence when people claim to be a victim. "I have a learning disability so I should be allowed all day to take the physics exam everybody else gets 2 hours for. That is my right as a disabled person!!":roll:

You can get more time on an exam (you usually get time and a half or double time) if it is deemed appropriate. Why? Because the disability may inhibit processing or test taking. Yes, it is the law and yes it is a right. This also will not be found in the ADA, but rather Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and IDEA.

Last edited:
A New Jersey cop cites a 19 year army disabled vet and kicks him off the boardwalk for having a service dog. And this happened after the vet provided the cop with the dog's proper papers. The cop also harassed the disabled vet and mocked him asking him if all veterans get to have their own personal service dog.

Law enforcement is often out of control these days in America. IMHO the veteran should file a suit against the cop for committing a hate crime. How much crap do veterans have to take?

[h=1]Disabled Army veteran harassed by police because of service dog[/h]What would you want done to the cop?

I'd want his ass fired for sure!!

As public service for his disgraceful actions I'd want him
sweeping floors at the American Legion post closest to his home.

This is friggin nuts !!!!

Yeah I could give a crap about the ADA being "pretty clear". Guess what--People who aren't disabled, and probably many who are, have no idea what the ADA says, including cops, and people use that thing like others abuse cries of racism. There was confusion about it. The fact that the guy was a veteran is irrelevant to the confusion. I have heard too many people whine about the ADA to give it much credence when people claim to be a victim. "I have a learning disability so I should be allowed all day to take the physics exam everybody else gets 2 hours for. That is my right as a disabled person!!":roll:

Yes, actually you should be given extra time to take the exam. Which would you want to be measured? Your disability or your knowledge of physics. If your learning disability is dyscalculia you would certainly require more time. Depending on the exam you'd likely need more time if you were dyslexic.

As a grad student I used to make extra money as a test monitor for students with disabilities. I had to learn a bit about disabilities and testing. It was surprisingly interesting and sometimes humbling.

First, you have no respect for a veteran? That is very relevant to my mind.

Second, that a person is demonstrably disabled, should clue in the cop that the dog is not just a pet. It's not like it's an oddity these days.

Third, a cop should be well aware of the ADA.

Last, though intellectually capable of passing, many disabled persons have difficulty with the physical mechanics of taking a test and are therefore given more time.

This kind of attitude, that somehow the disabled are getting something they don't deserve or worse, don't need, flabbergasts me. The ADA and other laws related to the treatment of people with disabilities are there so they can participate in society as more capable citizens. So that they are more self-sufficient and need not be uneducated shut ins with no chance at earning a paycheck. Then, possibly, they may not require other services that are provided for by taxpayers, if money is the concern being voiced here.

Victims are made of the disabled by people like the cop. Those with disabilities, do not see themselves as victims, until this stuff happens. As any person without disabilities would when they are harassed without cause by a cop.
However, on Sunday a press release said that after the matter was brought to the officer’s superior, it was quickly dropped. Moreover, according to the statement “an internal affairs investigation was initiated and the incident will be thoroughly investigated by the Internal Affairs supervisor.

Back to the specific issue in the OP: I'm guessing dogs aren't generally allowed by law on that boardwalk. Service animals should be clearly marked as service animals to receive the exemption. Further the law should be changed to reflect necessity in place/location. Just because your dog is a service animal for PTSD does not mean you should be able to take the thing everywhere you go. And unless the guy is sight impaired I don't get how this service animal "helps with his mobility", is he riding the darned thing?

Back to the specific issue in the OP: I'm guessing dogs aren't generally allowed by law on that boardwalk. Service animals should be clearly marked as service animals to receive the exemption. Further the law should be changed to reflect necessity in place/location. Just because your dog is a service animal for PTSD does not mean you should be able to take the thing everywhere you go. And unless the guy is sight impaired I don't get how this service animal "helps with his mobility", is he riding the darned thing?

The veteran had the proper papers for this, so it shouldn't have been an issue once he presented them to the cop.

Actually, that's the purpose of service animals, they go everywhere the person who needs them, goes. Why shouldn't they be allowed? This dog was was trained to do what he was doing, accompany the vet in public so he can enjoy what people without disabilities enjoy, the boardwalk. They are highly trained so there are no issues with the public.

I have an elderly relative who has recently developed debilitating anxiety in public spaces. Shopping, walking down the street, etc. Her dog is being trained so she can cope and take care of herself when doing things to care for herself (groceries) or enjoying a park or taking walks for her physical health. I see no problem with that to help her maintain her independence.

The veteran had the proper papers for this, so it shouldn't have been an issue once he presented them to the cop.

Actually, that's the purpose of service animals, they go everywhere the person who needs them, goes. Why shouldn't they be allowed? This dog was was trained to do what he was doing, accompany the vet in public so he can enjoy what people without disabilities enjoy, the boardwalk. They are highly trained so there are no issues with the public.

I have an elderly relative who has recently developed debilitating anxiety in public spaces. Shopping, walking down the street, etc. Her dog is being trained so she can cope and take care of herself when doing things to care for herself (groceries) or enjoying a park or taking walks for her physical health. I see no problem with that to help her maintain her independence.

All sounds perfectly reasonable and doesn't answer my post. If the person's disability requires they have a service animal with them wherever they go, then the service animal should be allowed wherever they go. However, if this service animal was not needed by his disability for a walk along the boardwalk, the normal law restricting dogs should be in force. Add to that, this entire situation may have been easily avoided if all service animals were required to be clearly marked as service animals.

And we do not know "This dog was was trained to do what he was doing". There is no mention in the article of why a service animal might be needed for mobility in this case, no indication the guy was sight impaired. The only specific was the bit about the animal being used for PTSD therapy.

All sounds perfectly reasonable and doesn't answer my post. If the person's disability requires they have a service animal with them wherever they go, then the service animal should be allowed wherever they go. However, if this service animal was not needed by his disability for a walk along the boardwalk, the normal law restricting dogs should be in force. Add to that, this entire situation may have been easily avoided if all service animals were required to be clearly marked as service animals.

And we do not know "This dog was was trained to do what he was doing". There is no mention in the article of why a service animal might be needed for mobility in this case, no indication the guy was sight impaired. The only specific was the bit about the animal being used for PTSD therapy.

From the OP's link.
An Army veteran of nineteen years whose vehicle was twice blown up by IEDS in Afghanistan claims that a police officer harassed and kicked him off the North Wildwood, New Jersey boardwalk because of his service dog.

I also suffer from PTSD, severe anxiety, depression, and my dog plays a big part in my life. His main purpose is mobility but he also helps me with all my emotional problems from combat,” he explained.

Within the NBC link of the story:

In 2009, Jared was serving in Afghanistan when his vehicle was blown up by IEDs, twice, within 36 hours. Now, Jared uses his 3-year-old service dog, Gator, short for Navigator, to help him walk, and to get up and down stairs.

The original story already has hints that there were multiple purposes for this particular service dog. Clicking on the NBC link inside the OP's article provides the physical aspects of the service dog's use.

Last edited:
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Within the NBC link of the story.

Thanks, but again, no specifics as to why he needs his service animal at the boardwalk. Again, I understand he says it's for "mobility" but doesn't even hint that he's sight impaired or why he would need a dog to be mobile. Some people just want to take their dogs everywhere they go.

And yet again, easy to avoid this sort of confusion by ensuring the service animal is marked as such.

Thanks, but again, no specifics as to why he needs his service animal at the boardwalk. Again, I understand he says it's for "mobility" but doesn't even hint that he's sight impaired or why he would need a dog to be mobile. Some people just want to take their dogs everywhere they go.

And yet again, easy to avoid this sort of confusion by ensuring the service animal is marked as such.

Do you want his entire profile? That's completely unnecessary. It's not your need to know. You didn't even read what I posted. Furthermore, the service dog is certainly dressed differently from a non-service dog, the vet issued the officer the identification of the animal, and still he was treated with disrespect and punished.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom