• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disable Vet Harassed By Police Because of Service Dog

I am a Vietnam Veteran, have voluteered for decades at the VA and come from a family of heroes. My brother and sister in law train rescue dogs when he's not busy with his duties as Deputy Sheriff. I have zero problems with service animals. I have a great problem with folks who game disability systems. I have a problem with folks who use disabled parking placards who don't need them. Just as I have a problem with folks who take service animals where they don't need them. When they do that they cease to be service animals and become pets, the rules to be applied like with everyone else.

I wanted more info than the OP provided to see if the officers involved truly were just being dicks or if there was the suspicion this guy may have been taking his pet for a walk.

Unless you had some knowledge this man was "gaming" the system. I think you are out of line. Clearly he showed paper work on the animal. That should have been it, end of story. Not continue it because I have a badge and a gun and maybe a high school education.

That .38 sized hole in your dogs chest stopping its breathing? Well, if it can get through that? That would be a trick indeed!

Wow, you are a bad man. Thanks to people like you, I am helping the Melbourne PD buy body armor for their dogs.

They can have ten days if they want... I am elated that I don't have to deal with anything like they do and in my most empathetic mindset I hope they get all the time they need to succeed.

Yeah well I have known some people who just used it as a scam to buy more time to study and take the test since profs cannot just hold a classroom and sit there forever so special arrangements were made until after everybody else took the test to begin with.

Unless you had some knowledge this man was "gaming" the system. I think you are out of line. Clearly he showed paper work on the animal. That should have been it, end of story. Not continue it because I have a badge and a gun and maybe a high school education.

Again, how many times do I have to repeat myself - IMO the officers should have dropped it once he showed them it was a legitimate service animal. As to the rest, yes, from the OP I had a reasonable suspicion some gaming was going on. The mention of mobility, but I've already explained this. The use of service animals has been broadened in this thread to include the ridiculous and some of what has been detailed, again, IMO, is gaming the system.

Its not about the dog, geeez. Its about the person that needs the dog and the reasons he or she needs the dog.
Notice I said need.
Not want. Not just a pet. Not just felt like having one.

And again, I agree, that's precisely what I said. The reason he gave for needing this service animal with him on the boardwalk was for mobility and that raises suspicion on my part.

And again, I agree, that's precisely what I said. The reason he gave for needing this service animal with him on the boardwalk was for mobility and that raises suspicion on my part.

Gee, I didnt know we were in the business of having to justify our needs to a flatfoot on a boardwalk.
I guess its a good thing I dont need a cane, because I guess it would be the cops decision to see if I really needed it. Otherwise he could say its a weapon and taze me for it.

Back to the specific issue in the OP: I'm guessing dogs aren't generally allowed by law on that boardwalk. Service animals should be clearly marked as service animals to receive the exemption. Further the law should be changed to reflect necessity in place/location. Just because your dog is a service animal for PTSD does not mean you should be able to take the thing everywhere you go. And unless the guy is sight impaired I don't get how this service animal "helps with his mobility", is he riding the darned thing?
Yes, this sounds like you really are interested in the vets side of things and seem to be putting the blame on him from the get go. And you think every cop that patrols the boardwalk is going to have all the needs of when and where floating around in his little mind all day.
Same thing would have happened no matter what.

Gee, I didnt know we were in the business of having to justify our needs to a flatfoot on a boardwalk.
I guess its a good thing I dont need a cane, because I guess it would be the cops decision to see if I really needed it. Otherwise he could say its a weapon and taze me for it.

Well then you haven't been paying attention. If you park in a handicapped zone you must show your sticker or get ticketted and towed. Of course you must show the officers that you are a legitimate exemption to the law. Duh.

And Risky, I know what mobility means and other than those who are sight impaired I just don't see dogs as much of a "mobility aid". Stairs have RAILS, a dog is not a substitute for railing, or even a good alternative. Wheelchairs do not reuire a dogs for operation. Unless you intend to ride the thing, and again other than sight impairment, the mobility argument for dogs is a bust.

The benefits a mobility dog provides to people in wheelchairs and others with mobility issues has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

When someone posts things that are provably false, it's clear that they're just talking out of their ass.

Yes, this sounds like you really are interested in the vets side of things and seem to be putting the blame on him from the get go. And you think every cop that patrols the boardwalk is going to have all the needs of when and where floating around in his little mind all day.
Same thing would have happened no matter what.

Wow. Didn't quite read my posts for comprehension. From my very first post I stated that the officers should have gone on their way after finding the dog was a legitimate service animal. I brought up what I did because I knew none of the dog lovers here would even bother to understand why the officers might have been asking about the dog in the first place or even take a look at the iffy mobility need.

Last edited:
The benefits a mobility dog provides to people in wheelchairs and others with mobility issues has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

When someone posts things that are provably false, it's clear that they're just talking out of their ass.

Indeed, however there are levels of necessity and we balance those, should balance those, against the impact of exempting folks from laws. In your example: is the wheelchair sufficient to provide mobility in a dog free by law area or are both service animal and wheelchair necessary for the mobility required to navigate that area? The answer there should define if the exemption to law is allowed.

And you have proven nothing false thus far.

Wow, you are a bad man. Thanks to people like you, I am helping the Melbourne PD buy body armor for their dogs.

Wait. So it's OK and funny for your dog to attack and mame a person but not to do the same to the dog? I was making a joke based off of your joke. IF you weren't joking then I feel sorry for you. IF you were... why didn't you get my joke. Thanks to people like you there are ridiculous assumption oriented arguments that abound.

Yeah well I have known some people who just used it as a scam to buy more time to study and take the test since profs cannot just hold a classroom and sit there forever so special arrangements were made until after everybody else took the test to begin with.

People try to scam the system at times... the benefits to those that need it far outweigh some random jackass that is scamming the system though.

People try to scam the system at times... the benefits to those that need it far outweigh some random jackass that is scamming the system though.

Not always. The scammer who gets a parking placard negatively impacts the people with actual need on a daily basis and robs them of the service. And there's the issue of fairness. In the case of the OP, I'm sure there are a bundle of dog lovers who would like to take their dogs with them on the boardwalk (would even give them great comfort to do so), but cannot because the law disallows dogs on the boardwalk.

Indeed, however there are levels of necessity and we balance those, should balance those, against the impact of exempting folks from laws. In your example: is the wheelchair sufficient to provide mobility in a dog free by law area or are both service animal and wheelchair necessary for the mobility required to navigate that area? The answer there should define if the exemption to law is allowed.

And you have proven nothing false thus far.

There is little to no impact of allowing the disabled to be accompanied by their service animals in (most) areas that are normally restricted to pets.

Wait. So it's OK and funny for your dog to attack and mame a person but not to do the same to the dog? I was making a joke based off of your joke. IF you weren't joking then I feel sorry for you. IF you were... why didn't you get my joke. Thanks to people like you there are ridiculous assumption oriented arguments that abound.

Remember LOL, if you are kidding. And its maim.

Not always. The scammer who gets a parking placard negatively impacts the people with actual need on a daily basis and robs them of the service. And there's the issue of fairness. In the case of the OP, I'm sure there are a bundle of dog lovers who would like to take their dogs with them on the boardwalk (would even give them great comfort to do so), but cannot because the law disallows dogs on the boardwalk.

We were talking about a disabled person getting longer to take a test... that's it. That is all I was talking bout.

There is little to no impact of allowing the disabled to be accompanied by their service animals in (most) areas that are normally restricted to pets.

Tell that to those who have children with servere pet allergies. What about the children???? :mrgreen:

Did you confirm that with the college's disability support services? Well, you couldn't do that, because that would not be legal. Did you know the person was faking it because they told you? This I have a hard time believing, unless for some strange reason they have that lax of a process.

We were talking about a disabled person getting longer to take a test... that's it. That is all I was talking bout.

Gotcha, In that case, if the tests are graded on a curve, someone getting more time on the test may affect the grades of others who don't receive a similar advantage, yes?

Well when the arm with which I write was broken and I had a cast and could barely write at 1/10th speed, I could not get the special treatment someone claiming to have a learning disability could so I was like screw it, good luck reading this crap because I will not be making any effort at all to make anything that I write legible, or even english, or even words.

I am a Vietnam Veteran, have voluteered for decades at the VA and come from a family of heroes. My brother and sister in law train rescue dogs when he's not busy with his duties as Deputy Sheriff. I have zero problems with service animals. I have a great problem with folks who game disability systems. I have a problem with folks who use disabled parking placards who don't need them. Just as I have a problem with folks who take service animals where they don't need them. When they do that they cease to be service animals and become pets, the rules to be applied like with everyone else.

I wanted more info than the OP provided to see if the officers involved truly were just being dicks or if there was the suspicion this guy may have been taking his pet for a walk.

How do you know that those people don't need them???

Well when the arm with which I write was broken and I had a cast and could barely write at 1/10th speed, I could not get the special treatment someone claiming to have a learning disability could so I was like screw it, good luck reading this crap because I will not be making any effort at all to make anything that I write legible, or even english, or even words.

You are an angry little man, aren't you?

Gotcha, In that case, if the tests are graded on a curve, someone getting more time on the test may affect the grades of others who don't receive a similar advantage, yes?

Yeah... it was a physical test though. My point was simply that I am glad that I am a fully capable athletic guy and that if some disabled person gets more time that is fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom