• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DirecTV Drops OAN

Was it a wise business move for DirecTV to drop the highly-rated OAN?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
:mad:

I just might drop DirecTV.

“This [dropping OAN network] is highly troubling and disappointing. Not just because this is an unwise business decision, but because you are masking what is obviously viewpoint discrimination with neutral corporate-speak; your decision was certainly not based on a ‘routine internal review.’ Rather, your cancelation of OAN comes after a crescendo of powerful leftwing voices demanded that you take action against them.” - a letter by Republican Attorneys General, led by Ken Paxton of Texas
I guess it depends on the reason. We have having a dangerous amount of restrictions on information happening, and those cheering it on don't quite get where it all leads to. However, if it's just losing money then that's on OAN for not being profitable.

I guess it depends on the reason. We have having a dangerous amount of restrictions on information happening, and those cheering it on don't quite get where it all leads to. However, if it's just losing money then that's on OAN for not being profitable.
I didn't realize Direct was the only carrier. I wonder why OAN can't get on board with another carrier... ✌️

I didn't realize Direct was the only carrier. I wonder why OAN can't get on board with another carrier... ✌️
I believe it's also on verzion fios and pluto.. and a few very other small places.

however, it got 90% of it's income from direct tv.

These days, you can get cable internet without the tv cable. Fios is not everyplace, but if you are in an area that has fios, it's nice to have alternatives.
Fios has been here for 12 years.

I am not paying a cent for it. You are pretending nobody likes more than one sport and nobody has a reason to watch teams in other markets at home.

You are pretending that paying $1200 a year for a few extra games is a reasonable proposition

These days, you can get cable internet without the tv cable. Fios is not everyplace, but if you are in an area that has fios, it's nice to have alternatives.

Yes just like cable networks, fiber internet has been monopolized. You either get AT&T or Verizon

You are pretending that paying $1200 a year for a few extra games is a reasonable proposition

Who pays that much and only watches a few extra NFL games all year?

“This [dropping OAN network] is highly troubling and disappointing. Not just because this is an unwise business decision, but because you are masking what is obviously viewpoint discrimination with neutral corporate-speak; your decision was certainly not based on a ‘routine internal review.’ Rather, your cancelation of OAN comes after a crescendo of powerful leftwing voices demanded that you take action against them.” - a letter by Republican Attorneys General, led by Ken Paxton of Texas

DirecTV has enough mindless entertainment. They probably decided to give the air time to something more entertaining, like maybe watching paint dry, or televised tax audits from 1973.

Fios has been here for 12 years.
I am in the boonies. Fiber is not available for either google fiber or verizion fios. However, it is possible ot get internet without the tv via the cable company

Last month, OAN filed a lawsuit seeking $1 billion in damages from DIRECTV and its parent commpany, AT&T.

OAN lawyers claimed that DirecTV (and AT&T) used “unchecked influence and power” to “unlawfully destroy an independent, family-run business and impede the right of American television viewers to watch the news media channels and programs of their choice.”

IMO, DirecTV dropping OAN seems to be payback for the lawsuit which OAN filed in March. It has nothing to do with ratings or viewership.

Where did I say that Direct TV was the only carrier? As to your wonder....it could be ideological shuttering, which I think is bad at a certain point, or financial, which would be normal.

Last month, OAN filed a lawsuit seeking $1 billion in damages from DIRECTV and its parent commpany, AT&T.

OAN lawyers claimed that DirecTV (and AT&T) used “unchecked influence and power” to “unlawfully destroy an independent, family-run business and impede the right of American television viewers to watch the news media channels and programs of their choice.”

IMO, DirecTV dropping OAN seems to be payback for the lawsuit which OAN filed in March. It has nothing to do with ratings or viewership.
Ah....well if OAN is suing Direct TV then I can also understand dropping them for that reason as well. Who wants to do business with someone actively suin you?

Some of us think that a private business doesn't have some grand moral obligation to rebroadcast your beliefs for you.

Some of us think that a private business doesn't have some grand moral obligation to rebroadcast your beliefs for you.
Some of us think that free flow of information is intrinsic to a free society, but to each their own.

Some of us think that free flow of information is intrinsic to a free society, but to each their own.
Nobody is stopping OAN from expressing their ridiculous beliefs. What are you complaining about?

Nobody is stopping OAN from expressing their ridiculous beliefs. What are you complaining about?
You're either being purposefully obtuse or you're ignorant of what's going on.

If you all look hard enough, you can find your "free sports" online
nhl, nfl, nba etc.
;)

You're either being purposefully obtuse or you're ignorant of what's going on.
No, you're missing the point. OAN has the freedom to express themselves, but the rest of us are not obligated to facilitate that for them. Do you think the government should force DirectTV into a contract with OAN? Of course you don't. DirectTV has a first amendment right to refuse to broadcast OAN's hate. I'm sure you agree with that.

If they can't convince DirectTV to carry them, they have a whole array of other business choices they can make. If nobody is willing to carry their content, then the market has spoken.

No, you're missing the point. OAN has the freedom to express themselves, but the rest of us are not obligated to facilitate that for them. Do you think the government should force DirectTV into a contract with OAN? Of course you don't. DirectTV has a first amendment right to refuse to broadcast OAN's hate. I'm sure you agree with that.

If they can't convince DirectTV to carry them, they have a whole array of other business choices they can make. If nobody is willing to carry their content, then the market has spoken.
I would like people to make wise choices, but apparently that's too big of an ask for you.

I would like people to make wise choices, but apparently that's too big of an ask for you.
DirectTV made the choice they thought was the wisest. Your personal opinion to the contrary is of interest to exactly nobody.

Where did I say that Direct TV was the only carrier? As to your wonder....it could be ideological shuttering, which I think is bad at a certain point, or financial, which would be normal.
Why think it's bad for a company to decide who's programming it puts out to the public??? Where is it written any carrier must carry any programming that wants on board??? Networks have a duty to the stockholders to not damage the brand. Perhaps the Execs figure OAN is a greasy smear they'd just as soon not have on their network... :unsure:

Free choice, free market, freedom from intervention on company business... yanno the sort of thing the Right clucks about when it suits... ✌️

^Another Boomer wasting his money on satellite tv. Pretty sad that it's them dropping trash like OAN that makes you rethink that spending.

Good, smart move by direct TV

there should be standards to be able to call one's self "news"

OAN and Newsmax do not fit that at all and should be dropped from all broadcasting or they should be labeled as something else.

Back
Top Bottom