• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DirecTV dropped OAN today, rejecting GOP pleas to keep right-wing network

How, dude? I am a devotee of Tucker Carlson and Greg Gutfeld. Two giants in the media world. I hardly ever watch OAN.
you should be proud of Tucker...

OAN previously sued DirecTV, saying channel removal could force the network to shut down.​

One America News has officially been removed from DirecTV, as the TV provider resisted pressure from Republicans to keep the right-wing network in its channel lineup. A DirecTV spokesperson confirmed to Ars today that the channel removal went ahead as scheduled.

OAN's future is in doubt as the network's owner has said losing the DirecTV deal might force it to shut down. DirecTV previously issued a notice to users stating that OAN would leave DirecTV's satellite channel lineup and the online service DirecTV Stream after April 4. The removal also affected A Wealth of Entertainment (AWE), another channel owned by OAN parent company Herring Networks.

DirecTV announced it wouldn't renew its carriage deal with OAN after pressure from advocacy groups that pointed out OAN "is a major supporter of the Stop the Steal movement," spread "election fraud lies that claimed the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump," "stok[ed] violent calls for the attack on the US Capitol," and airs "wall-to-wall COVID-19 disinformation." US Reps. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) and Jerry McNerney (D-Calif.) had also questioned DirecTV owner AT&T and other TV providers about why they carry OAN, Newsmax, and Fox News.

DirecTV has since expanded its deal with Fox by offering Fox Nation streaming as a premium add-on. When asked whether it will keep Newsmax, DirecTV told Ars, "As we do for every network in our lineup, we'll evaluate and make decisions as we approach each contract's expiration." The DirecTV spokesperson also said, "I'm not at liberty to provide the expiration date of the contract [with Newsmax]."

snip
Republicans need to go scorched earth on these companies.

Like after the 2022 elections they need to pass massive puntitive taxes on cable and satellite networks Without sufficient ideological diversity in news.

Expect McCarthy to go after this next year, since GOPs mix Covid and the border; Ukraine and the border; On the Border

Like after the 2022 elections they need to pass massive puntitive taxes on cable and satellite networks Without sufficient ideological diversity in news.
ideological diversity.

Oh my....:LOL:

Define "sufficient ideological diversity."

A literal cult owned station gets chopped and the gop whines. Im never voting for a single republican again ever. I used to vote mixed ticket. Just **** off gop.

I respect your call that OAN is slime. It is possible for others to differ with you, no? Btw I am a fan of Tucker Carlson and Greg Gutfeld. Before that I was a fan of Bill O'Reilly
;) (y)

A literal cult owned station gets chopped and the gop whines. Im never voting for a single republican again ever. I used to vote mixed ticket. Just **** off gop.
;) (y)

Define "sufficient ideological diversity."
If the Republicans were truly interested in exercising power the answer is “you know what we mean and you better do it if you know what’s good for you”

If the Republicans were truly interested in exercising power the answer is “you know what we mean and you better do it if you know what’s good for you”
And if the Republicans are told to "shove it!"?

I don’t think you’ve ever voted for a Republican in your life.

And if the Republicans are told to "shove it!"?
Then the carriers should be told to shove it with punitive taxes and property confiscation.

This is exactly what the left does to industries they disfavor

I can make that decision myself.
No doubt. Tucker is supporting supporting a guy who is slaughtering humans in the country next to him.

I'm glad you can make a decision.

Each Joe should be his own judge of what are "blatant lies" and what are "opinions". You have that right. No one should ever take it away. I find nothing as intolerable as another arrogating to himself a right which does not belong to them.

I am a whack-job for defending your right to be your own judge of what you consider lies or opinions?
Lol, no. Reality is what it is. There are no "alternative facts" and a lie remains a lie even if you wish it was true.

Take this "widespread voter fraud" thing. That's not an opinion. This has been investigated, litigated and and rehashed ad infinitum and there is absolutely no evidence that it happened. Repeating that claim is lying, not expressing an opinion. They could say "dOnald tRump should have won" and that would be an opinion. "Widespread voter fraud" is not.

Can you understand the difference?

OAN previously sued DirecTV, saying channel removal could force the network to shut down.​

One America News has officially been removed from DirecTV, as the TV provider resisted pressure from Republicans to keep the right-wing network in its channel lineup. A DirecTV spokesperson confirmed to Ars today that the channel removal went ahead as scheduled.

OAN's future is in doubt as the network's owner has said losing the DirecTV deal might force it to shut down. DirecTV previously issued a notice to users stating that OAN would leave DirecTV's satellite channel lineup and the online service DirecTV Stream after April 4. The removal also affected A Wealth of Entertainment (AWE), another channel owned by OAN parent company Herring Networks.

DirecTV announced it wouldn't renew its carriage deal with OAN after pressure from advocacy groups that pointed out OAN "is a major supporter of the Stop the Steal movement," spread "election fraud lies that claimed the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump," "stok[ed] violent calls for the attack on the US Capitol," and airs "wall-to-wall COVID-19 disinformation." US Reps. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) and Jerry McNerney (D-Calif.) had also questioned DirecTV owner AT&T and other TV providers about why they carry OAN, Newsmax, and Fox News.

DirecTV has since expanded its deal with Fox by offering Fox Nation streaming as a premium add-on. When asked whether it will keep Newsmax, DirecTV told Ars, "As we do for every network in our lineup, we'll evaluate and make decisions as we approach each contract's expiration." The DirecTV spokesperson also said, "I'm not at liberty to provide the expiration date of the contract [with Newsmax]."

snip
Good

there should be standards to be able to call one's self "news"

OAN and Newsmax do not fit that at all and should be dropped from all broadcasting or they should be labeled as something else.

Fox as shitty as it is, is not going to be dropped based on money alone but also because if it is MSNBC could certainly find itself in the same realm . . .
Id be fine with forcing ALL news to some standards though, I'm all on board with that but one couldn't magically drop fox from mainstream and not also look at other mainstream news

Back
Top Bottom