• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dinner Table Politics

H

hipsterdufus

I just got back from a great Thanksgiving dinner with my family.

It was very interesting to me how the Republicans in my family -(mom,uncle,cousin and sister) all were united in saying that they wanted us out of Iraq as soon as possible. They also weren't so sure that they weren't deceived by the president into going to war in Iraq in the first place.

Very interesting.....

Is my anecdotal experience an anomaly?

I do not believe so, this appears to be a growing trend in the Republican community.

It's encouraging to see more and more republicans distancing themselves from the Bush administration. I just hope he hasn't damaged the conservative movement so much that it tips the balance too far the other way. Bush doesn't represent conservatives any more than Michael Moore represents liberals.

It's actually *dis*couraging to many of us Bush fans. The Republican party only has about a year to clean itself up or the worst thing that could ever happen to this country would happen - President Hillary.

I'm a liberal by definition, but I'd vote for McCain, Powell, or Guliani before I'd vote for Hellary. So I'm on your team with that one. :)

Binary_Digit said:
I'm a liberal by definition, but I'd vote for McCain, Powell, or Guliani before I'd vote for Hellary. So I'm on your team with that one. :)

Thank Christ. It's reassuring to see that not ALL liberals are nuts.

vauge said:
It's actually *dis*couraging to many of us Bush fans. The Republican party only has about a year to clean itself up or the worst thing that could ever happen to this country would happen - President Hillary.

Vauge,

We agree on something else. Hillary in 08 is my worst nightmare too.

hipsterdufus said:
Vauge,

We agree on something else. Hillary in 08 is my worst nightmare too.

Hmmm well we had one Clinton getting ummm oral in the White House? What's wrong with the other Clinton giving oral in the White House? :rofl

And before someone "blows" a gasket... it's a joke!

Stiff competition is likely to blow Hillary Clinton out of the water. It may be hard to imagine, but the head of New York is going down if she campaigns in 2008.

hipsterdufus said:

It was very interesting to me how the Republicans in my family -(mom,uncle,cousin and sister) all were united in saying that they wanted us out of Iraq as soon as possible. They also weren't so sure that they weren't deceived by the president into going to war in Iraq in the first place.

Very interesting.....

Not a direct reply to your post, but what really bothers me is that those who say we cannot give a timetable for Iraq have set one already. A plan will be in place in time for the 2006 election campaigns, with some troop withdrawal included. The master plan will be announced as part of the preparation for the 2008 festivities.

Binary_Digit said:
Stiff competition is likely to blow Hillary Clinton out of the water. It may be hard to imagine, but the head of New York is going down if she campaigns in 2008.

That's pretty good. I wonder if Guilliani, who is on wife number 3 and had an affair with a nurse while campaigning for the Senate, would fair better in a limericks battle.

hipsterdufus said:

Very interesting.....

I don't even believe this happened. Unprovable. Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

KCConservative said:
I don't even believe this happened. Unprovable. Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

Thank you Officer Barbrady.

Dinner table politics?

FOOD FIGHT!!!!! LOL

On another note, I am not endorsing Hillary for Prez in '08, but I was wondering if some of you could elaborate on why you believe Hillary would be such a bad president? Just curious.

It can't get much worse then it is right now, can it?

vauge said:
I do not believe so, this appears to be a growing trend in the Republican community.
Wow! I'm surprised to read that you believe this, very interesting. At our Thanksgiving we were all united in our opposition to the war, even my 89 year old grandfather in law who is a decided conservative.

The toll I think is wearing on people all over this country.

tryreading said:
Thank you Officer Barbrady.
:rofl
Officer_Barbrady_figure.jpg

Hoot said:
Dinner table politics?

FOOD FIGHT!!!!! LOL

On another note, I am not endorsing Hillary for Prez in '08, but I was wondering if some of you could elaborate on why you believe Hillary would be such a bad president? Just curious.

Yeah, I hope the fight can continue too.

About Hillary, my problem with her is I don't know what she cares about, not really. She is using the New York Senator position as a stepping stone only, I think. What would have been wrong with her running for the Senate for Arkansas? That would have made more sense, if she were a spokesman/legislator for her state. She works for women's concerns, and attempted the national health care thing when first lady, which are commendable (not saying I want national health care, but there are way too many uninsured people). But if she only wants power, like all the rest, there's nothing special about her. Of course that makes her no worse than anybody else in politics, either.

Hoot said:
Dinner table politics?

FOOD FIGHT!!!!! LOL

Hillary is an atrocious individual.

I'm not going to get into her actions during her past, or anything that happened with her during her years in the White House. I base my distrust of Hillary solely on her record as a Senator.

Since being elected Senator of NY, she hasn't done a damn thing. She ran on the promise to help out upstate NY. Nobody I have met in my area upstate can name a single thing she did for the area. The economy in Upstate has continued to tank, and my hometown (where I am right now) has the highest sales tax in the nation. It's pathetic. The state is failing us on this one, and shes one of the reasons. Furthermore, her attitude toward the people of NY has been nothing but a big **** you since she got elected. She didn't care about us for any other purpose than having a seat in the Senate where she can make national proclamations to position herself as the moderate democrat who can win back the white house.

If you want to see what kind of a person Hillary really is, read The Girls in the Van by Beth Harpaz. Harpaz was the AP reporter assigned to cover the Hillary senate campaign from early 98 through the election. For a white female Jewish liberal reporter from NYC, she's surprisingly evenhanded in her writing.

RightatNYU said:
Hillary is an atrocious individual.

I'm not going to get into her actions during her past, or anything that happened with her during her years in the White House. I base my distrust of Hillary solely on her record as a Senator.

Since being elected Senator of NY, she hasn't done a damn thing. She ran on the promise to help out upstate NY. Nobody I have met in my area upstate can name a single thing she did for the area. The economy in Upstate has continued to tank, and my hometown (where I am right now) has the highest sales tax in the nation. It's pathetic. The state is failing us on this one, and shes one of the reasons. Furthermore, her attitude toward the people of NY has been nothing but a big **** you since she got elected. She didn't care about us for any other purpose than having a seat in the Senate where she can make national proclamations to position herself as the moderate democrat who can win back the white house.

If you want to see what kind of a person Hillary really is, read The Girls in the Van by Beth Harpaz. Harpaz was the AP reporter assigned to cover the Hillary senate campaign from early 98 through the election. For a white female Jewish liberal reporter from NYC, she's surprisingly evenhanded in her writing.

I've voted Democrat for most of my life, but now I'd be happy to vote for anybody who cares deeply about the country and makes good decisions. This eliminates a huge number of politicians, many of whom are in the game to acquire power, money, and satisfy their egotistical needs. I would vote for John McCain for President right now. Really appreciated his anti-torture bill, but also his past record and general common sense. Hopefully, Karl Rove will never participate in another election, because he mercilessly smeared McCain in the 2000 primaries, and has done the same to everyone his candidates have run against.

White female Jewish liberal reporter? From New York City? How long are her horns?

tryreading said:
I've voted Democrat for most of my life, but now I'd be happy to vote for anybody who cares deeply about the country and makes good decisions. This eliminates a huge number of politicians, many of whom are in the game to acquire power, money, and satisfy their egotistical needs. I would vote for John McCain for President right now. Really appreciated his anti-torture bill, but also his past record and general common sense. Hopefully, Karl Rove will never participate in another election, because he mercilessly smeared McCain in the 2000 primaries, and has done the same to everyone his candidates have run against.

White female Jewish liberal reporter? From New York City? How long are her horns?

I tried to measure but she attacked me with a half eaten fetus

galenrox said:
yeah dude, I don't know why the hell there's this much talk about a Hillary run for the white house. It's not gonna work. Look at this thread, conservative, liberal, libertarian, none of us likes Hillary. I hang out with mostly liberals, and I might know 2 people max who support Hillary. If she got the nomination it would take one hell of a **** up on the republicans' behalf to lose. It's reasonably hard to think of a republican that would cause me to vote for Hillary.

It's so hard to picture it, yet hillary is still getting 40%+ of the support in dem straw polls. either the people we know arent representative of dems as a whole, or the other dem candidates must be terrible...

RightatNYU said:
I tried to measure but she attacked me with a half eaten fetus

Dang you managed to be both gross and funny at the same time.

Thanks for the laugh.

Hoot said:
Sure, here are a few problems I have with Hillary Clinton:

- Voted NO on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
I am pro choice, but anti partial birth.

- Voted YES on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)
In general I don't believe in trading liberty for security. If we let terrorists terrorize us into giving up our personal liberties, we're letting them win.

- Teacher testing only for new teachers (respect professionalism). (Oct 2000)
Ensuring professionalism is not disrespecting it.

- Give kids after-school activities to prevent gangs. (Apr 1998)
Kids don't join gangs because they're bored. They join gangs for protection.

- Independent ad ban for Senate campaign. (Feb 2000)
I think this would intrude on freedom of speech.

- Tough gun control keeps guns out of wrong hands. (Jul 1999)
No it doesn't.

- Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Gun manufacturers should not be held accountable for crimes they didn't commit.

- Federalize aviation security. (Nov 2001)
Making the government bigger is not the only option, nor is it the best option.

http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/Hillary_Clinton.htm

And lastly, the Grand Theft Auto "sex scandal" did not warrant expanding federal regulations.

I would vote for HIllary over Guiliani but McCain over HIllary. I would vote for Kooch and Boxer over all. And nader probably if he actually had a chance.

FinnMacCool said:
I would vote for HIllary over Guiliani but McCain over HIllary. I would vote for Kooch and Boxer over all. And nader probably if he actually had a chance.

kooch?
whos that?

Back
Top Bottom