• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Digitizing VHS Tapes

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If I get all the gizmos to allow me to transfer content from the old VHS tapes, do I need to run the tape at regular speed or can the content be transferred at a higher speed?

... do I need to run the tape at regular speed or can the content be transferred at a higher speed?
I doubt the audio would playback properly at anything other than regular speed. But you might as well do a higher speed test run of a minute or so to verify how it works (or doesn't).

If I get all the gizmos to allow me to transfer content from the old VHS tapes, do I need to run the tape at regular speed or can the content be transferred at a higher speed?
I'd certainly be interested in knowing your whole process in general, and the results as I've quite a bit of ancient stuff I want to digitize too.

I believe this came from your TV thread. Is this just a bunch of movies you own and want to digitize them? Do you have a whole lot or Would it be cheaper to buy new copies in 4k?

All the old movies were still shot in high resolution for the theaters so it would be much better quality for old movies. If it's old TV shows they usually don't have a better quality or even a dvd to buy

I believe this came from your TV thread. Is this just a bunch of movies you own and want to digitize them? Do you have a whole lot or Would it be cheaper to buy new copies in 4k?

All the old movies were still shot in high resolution for the theaters so it would be much better quality for old movies. If it's old TV shows they usually don't have a better quality or even a dvd to buy
Yeah, it’s all part of the same process. I have decided to wait on the hot lick SONY unit which is delayed due to chips and pandemic. QD-OLED, I think.

What I am trying to avoid is the time that it would take to run the content at viewing speed, which makes the process unrealistic due to the amount of time needed. I still have a functioning VHS player and there is a port to link it to in the new tv.

I doubt the audio would playback properly at anything other than regular speed. But you might as well do a higher speed test run of a minute or so to verify how it works (or doesn't).
I hadn’t thought of that, the audio.

Yeah, it’s all part of the same process. I have decided to wait on the hot lick SONY unit which is delayed due to chips and pandemic. QD-OLED, I think.

What I am trying to avoid is the time that it would take to run the content at viewing speed, which makes the process unrealistic due to the amount of time needed. I still have a functioning VHS player and there is a port to link it to in the new tv.

I hadn’t thought of that, the audio.

Yes for proper results you would have to run at veiwing speed. How many do you have that it would be unrealistic time wise? You don't have to baby sit it you can just run it and walk away. And is getting newer 4k copies too cost prohibitive? Most movies can be had for $2-$4 if you get them through a streaming service like VUDU

Yes for proper results you would have to run at veiwing speed. How many do you have that it would be unrealistic time wise? You don't have to baby sit it you can just run it and walk away. And is getting newer 4k copies too cost prohibitive? Most movies can be had for $2-$4 if you get them through a streaming service like VUDU

I love using Vudu. I buy nothing but digital anymore. Too cheap and you don't have to keep up with the physical copy.

Note: depending on how much one wants to transfer, it may be useful to use a so-called "copy shop".

Places like Sir Speedy and Descal Inc. around Boston. They typically do a lot more than just copy & bind jobs, pamphlet/etc jobs. I've had them transfer casettes to DVD, etc, so I'm sure VHS-->DVD or VHS--> Blu Ray would be doable, at a relatively reasonable price.

I have done this for many years, am actively involved in work to software decode the RF signal directly and have some strong feelings and experience in this area including probably 30x top of the line SVHS decks collected over 15-20 years. Weird hobby :)

In short, no, tape must play back at regular speed on the best playback device you can get your hands on.

I love using Vudu. I buy nothing but digital anymore. Too cheap and you don't have to keep up with the physical copy.

I always have some hard copies of stuff just in case, if you read the user agreements on those digital copies they are very shady. Walmart usually sells cheap dvds on black Friday so I'll buy a few of my favorites. I've probably got a whole plastic bin of DVDs

There are currently several NEW ways to go about this so I wouldn't press "BUY" on the el cheapo gizmos you see on Amazon because the quality hit on most of them is significant and for almost the same money you can now do much better
if you're willing to tackle a slight learning curve. I am here to help with all aspects of that.

ALL analog capture is real time. If you have 8 hours of analog tape, that's eight hours of capture time.

I have done this for many years, am actively involved in work to software decode the RF signal directly and have some strong feelings and experience in this area including probably 30x top of the line SVHS decks collected over 15-20 years. Weird hobby :)

In short, no, tape must play back at regular speed on the best playback device you can get your hands on.

So you know the joke about the difference between a JVC duplicator SVHS deck and a JVC MEDICAL GRADE SVHS deck. :LOL:

I would think that the only way you could copy a video tape faster, would be with a piece of equipment specifically made to do so. I'll bet it was expensive when VHS and Beta were the standards, and at least 10x more now.

I only have one VHS stuffed away somewhere from my engineering prototype days. It would be nice to digitize it. I have gotten rid of the several hundred I used to have.

I always have some hard copies of stuff just in case, if you read the user agreements on those digital copies they are very shady. Walmart usually sells cheap dvds on black Friday so I'll buy a few of my favorites. I've probably got a whole plastic bin of DVDs
I have 5 bins of DVDs. 😂

Thus the reason for ripping them all to a 3T personal server, and buying nothing but digital going further.

Yep. I never use the digital copy stuff. However, I buy quite the quantity of TV series and movies on dick. I give the digital copy codes to my sister.

I have 5 bins of DVDs. 😂

Thus the reason for ripping them all to a 3T personal server, and buying nothing but digital going further.
I need to do that. My son-in-law does that. When I replace my old XPS-8700, maybe I'll use it for that. Dam this thing is a workhorse. Only a 4ghz i7-4790, and DDR3 memory, but I have placed a RTX 2070 in it, 1 TB SSD, and 32 GB. Had this thing for ages. Bought it with XP, and have win10 on it.

How much if I just send all my shit out to CA?
LOL depends on how MUCH "shit" there is, but I don't even know what city you're in.
I am indeed aware of those 29 dollar dongles that USB2 into your computer and spit out an MPEG2 file similar to a burned DVD.
And the problem with those is that you wind up with a very compressed file that can't be duplicated without introducing more visual garbage in the copy and you can't work with them for future editing.
And if your old VHS tapes happen to be of lesser quality, those 29 dollar USB dongles will make it worse.

There might be a dozen or so REALLY GOOD facilities a stone's throw away from you right now.
So, how many hours of material (ballpark estimate) and what kind of budget are we talking about?
And where ARE you, sir?

I'm in Whittier California so if you're in the LA County area, can do, and easily.

LOL depends on how MUCH "shit" there is, but I don't even know what city you're in.
I am indeed aware of those 29 dollar dongles that USB2 into your computer and spit out an MPEG2 file similar to a burned DVD.
And the problem with those is that you wind up with a very compressed file that can't be duplicated without introducing more visual garbage in the copy and you can't work with them for future editing.
And if your old VHS tapes happen to be of lesser quality, those 29 dollar USB dongles will make it worse.

There might be a dozen or so REALLY GOOD facilities a stone's throw away from you right now.
So, how many hours of material (ballpark estimate) and what kind of budget are we talking about?
And where ARE you, sir?

I'm in Whittier California so if you're in the LA County area, can do, and easily.
I have a pretty good video to digital converter that will do up to 1080i on a USB3. I used it to do clips off my PS3, but I was using it's HDMI input. Never tried analog video with it, but I suspect it's as good as the video out. I don't know if they found away around it, but you cannot just copy HDMI. A loophole to it is if you use a HDMI splitter. That somehow disables the copy protection. At least it did on all blurays I tried those years ago.

And where ARE you, sir?

Dam, I hate when people forget substantive exchanges we have had. We grew up in the same atom bomb radius. I went to school in Montgomery County for two years and grew up in DC. Just kidding, my VCR is low mileage. I have dozens of commercial movies, I was really just spitballing……..

Back
Top Bottom