• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Digital Blackface".

It's not like we don't have lots of memes of white people looking weird. Ermahgerd Girl, anyone?

You obviously do not understand the issue.

Because, hey, guess what? White people are a global minority, and even in America almost 40 percent of the population is non-white.

Hey, guess what? In social dynamics the majority in question is power not population. White people are the global power majority and enjoy privilege world-wide.

It is not black face. It is humans being funny. Sometimes black people are also funny.

She's not claiming it's the point of the emojis, she's claiming it's an aspect of it. Honestly, your false equivalence and absurd ignorance on the subject of the majority makes me wonder if you have any idea what you're on about whatsoever. You just seem triggered. Perhaps you're aware of your lack of comprehension and it upsets you.

You obviously do not understand the issue.

Hey, guess what? In social dynamics the majority in question is power not population. White people are the global power majority and enjoy privilege world-wide.

She's not claiming it's the point of the emojis, she's claiming it's an aspect of it. Honestly, your false equivalence and absurd ignorance on the subject of the majority makes me wonder if you have any idea what you're on about whatsoever. You just seem triggered. Perhaps you're aware of your lack of comprehension and it upsets you.

Dude, this girl is claiming that it's racist to laugh when black comedians are intentionally trying to make you laugh. That is just plain stupid, I'm sorry.

This is probably the dumbest thing I've heard about all week. So apparenty, according to this lady on BBC, white people using gifs with black people using funny facial expressions, is the "21st century version of blackface". Now, it's not hard to see why this is incredibly stupid. This just seems to be another case at trying very hard to get offended at something entirely innocuous. Look, people (not just white people, everyone that uses them) use these gifs because they are making funny expressions, and are expressing an emotion that people are feeling at the moment. Not because they want to "exploit black bodies" or any of that stupid nonsense. Besides the people that apparently think this is a giant issue, nobody cares what race the person is in a gif.

It's not "digital blackface". It's just a ****ing gif.

You seem to be remarkably sensible overall, for a college student. :)

Dude, this girl is claiming that it's racist to laugh when black comedians are intentionally trying to make you laugh. That is just plain stupid, I'm sorry.

There's an aspect of Blackface, intentional and not, in the use of black images. There's some truth to that, and I'm sure some people do it intentionally. Why can't you recognize that? Seems obvious to me.

To reiterate my complaint in a non-meme form: Pop social justice is really problematic. This particular video has layers of issues to it, but the primary issue is that efforts like this confuse actual activism (like the BLM manifesto regarding specific changes to policing culture such as deescalation training and raising a national discussion on police violence) with lazy Twitter and Tumblr rants that do not really serve any purpose and do not really educate anyone on racial injustices in modern America. The same thing goes for Tumblr feminism, trans activism, autism activism, disability activism, and so on.

I understand that this is a semi-fashionable position to take, which is why I'm making this comment, but my position is not the BLM or these other groups are invalid. Quite the opposite, they are very valid and they represent real milestones in the struggles against oppression and indifference. But to get bogged down in these piddling matters (or far more likely, non-issues that are likely dreamt up in a corporate PR meeting top distract from real issues) is not only unhelpful, it's actively counterproductive.

*standing ovation*

I've been an activist for over a decade, and I take racial issues as seriously as anything else. It just so cheapens the movement when these sorts of people are banging on about stuff that either doesn't exist, or is a product of their own ignorance.

God, Tumblr... 14-year-olds saying -- literally, in all caps, there is no part of this that I'm exaggerating: "WELL, I'M GAY AND I THINK QUEER IS A SLUR. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT ANYMORE."

You're gonna say that to all the queer people who spent literally decades reclaiming that word, who use it as their own personal identity proudly, and naming an ENTIRE branch of sociological education after it, simply because you don't understand its history? You get to decide for everyone on earth what that means for them, including all other LGBT people?

I don't know how this happened, but we're failing young activists somehow. I don't know what we did wrong, but we are just not teaching them how to even interact with other human beings, let alone understand the complexities of inequality.

Last edited:
There's an aspect of Blackface, intentional and not, in the use of black images. There's some truth to that, and I'm sure some people do it intentionally. Why can't you recognize that? Seems obvious to me.

So... the very act of being black, while also being a comedian, is inherently black face.

Oh my life. I can't even with this bull****.

So... the very act of being black, while also being a comedian, is inherently black face.

Oh my life. I can't even with this bull****.

You really don't get it.

White people using black images has aspects of Blackface to it, intentionally and not. I'll give you an example: the classic racist images "white culture" (a clean cut college student) and "black culture" (Easy E). That's a caricature of black people in the same way Blackface was, it's intended to mock and belittle black people.

Sure, the vast majority of white people using images of black people are just sharing humor, but there is an unintentional characterization going on even there. There can be no question that some people use black images with the same intent as Blackface, to mock and ridicule black people as a race.

You really don't get it.

White people using black images has aspects of Blackface to it, intentionally and not. I'll give you an example: the classic racist images "white culture" (a clean cut college student) and "black culture" (Easy E). That's a caricature of black people in the same way Blackface was, it's intended to mock and belittle black people.

Sure, the vast majority of white people using images of black people are just sharing humor, but there is an unintentional characterization going on even there. There can be no question that some people use black images with the same intent as Blackface, to mock and ridicule black people as a race.

But that isn't what we're talking about. Most of these GIFs are of actual black entertainers, engaged in the actual act of entertaining. And the majority of them are very well-off and portrayed as quite put together.

So yes, I'd agree that the idea of portraying all black people as Easy E is racist. But that isn't what this video was talking about. It was talking about black people being funny, period, and used actual entertainers as its examples. Basically, white people are not allowed to find black comedians funny, and black people shouldn't be funny. What??

If you see Kevin Hart using physical humor as racist, but somehow Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Molly Shannon, and a billion other white people isn't, that's you, not everyone else. And bizarrely enough, you're actually telling black people they're not allowed to participate in an entire genre of comedy otherwise they're being Uncle Toms. That's insane.

But that isn't what we're talking about. Most of these GIFs are of actual black entertainers, engaged in the actual act of entertaining. And the majority of them are very well-off and portrayed as quite put together.

It's about the use, not the creation.

So yes, I'd agree that the idea of portraying all black people as Easy E is racist. But that isn't what this video was talking about. It was talking about black people being funny, period, and used actual entertainers as its examples.

One must wonder, with some people, what the laughter's about. Just because a black person created legit comedy does not mean everyone sees it that way nor does it mean everyone presents it that way.

Basically, white people are not allowed to find black comedians funny, and black people shouldn't be funny. What??

When something seems impossible, it's because we don't have all the information. You're missing the nuance and substituting reducto absurd for consideration.

If you see Kevin Hart using physical humor as racist, but somehow Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Molly Shannon, and a billion other white people isn't, that's you, not everyone else.

You really don't understand how race plays into the perception and use of comedic material, do you.

And bizarrely enough, you're actually telling black people they're not allowed to participate in an entire genre of comedy otherwise they're being Uncle Toms. That's insane.

No one is claiming any such thing.

It's about the use, not the creation.

One must wonder, with some people, what the laughter's about. Just because a black person created legit comedy does not mean everyone sees it that way nor does it mean everyone presents it that way.

When something seems impossible, it's because we don't have all the information. You're missing the nuance and substituting reducto absurd for consideration.

You really don't understand how race plays into the perception and use of comedic material, do you.

No one is claiming any such thing.

I think telling black people that them being comedians is racist is absurd, and in itself pretty racist. I simply don't have the time in my life for this level of stupid.

I think telling black people that them being comedians is racist is absurd, and in itself pretty racist. I simply don't have the time in my life for this level of stupid.

You don't understand. The way racism works is that if one person is offended then everyone else either must be offended or they are, by definition, a racist. Furthermore, if you don't make an appearance in every thread related to race and condemn racism in the most vehement terms then you are racist.

No one is claiming that.

You don't understand. The way racism works is that if one person is offended then everyone else either must be offended or they are, by definition, a racist. Furthermore, if you don't make an appearance in every thread related to race and condemn racism in the most vehement terms then you are racist.

Opposition to racism is not about being offended, it's about avoiding harm to society.

You really don't get it.

-stares-mother****ingly.jpg

This is probably the dumbest thing I've heard about all week. So apparenty, according to this lady on BBC, white people using gifs with black people using funny facial expressions, is the "21st century version of blackface". Now, it's not hard to see why this is incredibly stupid. This just seems to be another case at trying very hard to get offended at something entirely innocuous. Look, people (not just white people, everyone that uses them) use these gifs because they are making funny expressions, and are expressing an emotion that people are feeling at the moment. Not because they want to "exploit black bodies" or any of that stupid nonsense. Besides the people that apparently think this is a giant issue, nobody cares what race the person is in a gif.

The fact that the video has 491 likes, and over 71,000 dislikes (That's right, only .68% of the votes on the video are upvotes), is hysterical... people really seem to have not taken the idea this person is trying to convey well. I wish comments were not disabled on it, so people could have discussions on it, but I do understand what an absolute ****-show the comments section would turn into.

As for the idea... god damn, IT DEFINITELY is looking way too deeply into something that is not meant to be over-thought... it's a damn EMOJI!

(...and this is coming from someone who overthinks EVERYTHING!)

Last edited:

I posted on this a while ago.....

This author is right. no one but aisans can use the yellow ones. White people need to stop appropriating emojis of people of color. It's an outrage!

You really don't get it.

Actually that belief would make you the racist, given most everyone has not that thoughts when posting funny gifs.

there are funny white people gifs, asian etc.... get over it.

Actually that belief would make you the racist, given most everyone has not that thoughts when posting funny gifs.

there are funny white people gifs, asian etc.... get over it.

oh-my-takei.gif

Well im glad the vast majority of people know thats not how it works at all.

Can I break the interwebz....

so-you-brought-bibles-but-didnt-bring-food.jpg

racist
sexist
ageist
xenophobic
anti-christian

all in one meme.

Back
Top Bottom