• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Did Zimmerman know about the Stand Your Ground Law?

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
There's a pre-hearing this morning (on now) where both sides are arguing whether or not the fact that Zimmerman may have known about the Stand Your Ground Law should be admissible in court.

Seems that two years ago, in G's Criminal Justice class, SYG was covered in a lecture.

The judge refuses to hear Defense arguments that if GZ's prior actions (attending the class...or not, since no one can testify that he was in class that day) are going to be admissible, then Martin's should be as well. The judge got really pissed with THAT argument and disallowed even the argument.

Do you think this information should be allowed in court? Is it right that knowing the law should be held against a person?

(I would have put this under Grim's today's testimony thread, but I decided it would take it off in other directions...and it's not testimony.)

There's a pre-hearing this morning (on now) where both sides are arguing whether or not the fact that Zimmerman may have known about the Stand Your Ground Law should be admissible in court.

Seems that two years ago, in G's Criminal Justice class, SYG was covered in a lecture.

The judge refuses to hear Defense arguments that if GZ's prior actions (attending the class...or not, since no one can testify that he was in class that day) are going to be admissible, then Martin's should be as well. The judge got really pissed with THAT argument and disallowed even the argument.

Do you think this information should be allowed in court? Is it right that knowing the law should be held against a person?

(I would have put this under Grim's today's testimony thread, but I decided it would take it off in other directions...and it's not testimony.)

Of course George knew about SYG.. He learned about it in school and discussed it at the shooting range.

I would hope that he did in fact know the law, considering he had a concealed handgun carry permit.

However, I don't think knowing the law should HURT ones case in a criminal investigation period.

It really shows a level of desperation on the behalf of the state that they have to resort to making a citizen knowing the law out to be a bad thing.

I don't know how much it matters unless he took an "unusual interest" in the law.

I guess it might matter if he said he knew nothing about it and it was found out he clearly knew about it. But showing up in class is not evidence that he learned anything. Testing on the subject or writing an essay.

I would hope that he did in fact know the law, considering he had a concealed handgun carry permit.

However, I don't think knowing the law should HURT ones case in a criminal investigation period.

It really shows a level of desperation on the behalf of the state that they have to resort to making a citizen knowing the law out to be a bad thing.

Excellent point. Part of what the prosecution wants to show is that GZ lied on the Hannity show where, when asked if he knew about it, he said that he did not.

Excellent point. Part of what the prosecution wants to show is that GZ lied on the Hannity show where, when asked if he knew about it, he said that he did not.

I guess I could see that point.

But its still a rather lame attempt to show someone telling a minor lie.

Thats like saying, OMFG HE SAID HE WAS 5'6" WHEN HE WAS 5'7" !!!!!!! 1111!!!!!!!

okay... maybe its not THAT petty... I lost control of myself for a second.

George was also studying the Elements of Self Defense at the time he shot Trayvon.

Being taught about the law, knowing about the law, and remembering what you were taught, and knew, are different things.

George was also studying the Elements of Self Defense at the time he shot Trayvon.

Really? And you know this how?

Also, tell me, when was he thinking of taking his next ****?

I love how Zimmerman is such a complete moron who can't seem to do anything with his life and is a total **** up on one end...

And now he is a cold calculating legal scholar studying on how to properly cover up a murder on the other end.

Which ... one.... is it?

I love how Zimmerman is such a complete moron who can't seem to do anything with his life and is a total **** up on one end...

And now he is a cold calculating legal scholar studying on how to properly cover up a murder on the other end.

Which ... one.... is it?

He's a sociopath. Is it really rocket science?

The info allows the jurors to see that Zimmerman is a pathological liar. Serino picked the wrong answer.

Being taught about the law, knowing about the law, and remembering what you were taught, and knew, are different things.
If you only have any unverified youtube video of someone you wishfully think to resemble Trayvon Martin involving in a fight video whether in reality it is Trayvon or not, then it doesn't matter whether he actually was involved in fighting lesson or know anything about fighting and remember what he was taught, it's all the same to you that Trayvon must be a thug culpable of aggression against zimmerman.

Hypocritical double standard.

If you only have any unverified youtube video of someone you wishfully think to resemble Trayvon Martin involving in a fight video whether in reality it is Trayvon or not, then it doesn't matter whether he actually was involved in fighting lesson or know anything about fighting and remember what he was taught, it's all the same to you that Trayvon must be a thug culpable of aggression against zimmerman.

Hypocritical double standard.
WTF are you taking about?

You are obviously confused. Or something.

Back
Top Bottom