• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics?

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics?

• Total voters

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I just remembered something from my own family in a thread discussion -> both of my cousins are not talking for about 3 years over an argument it had to do with politics. It is absolutely baffling how politics can make people put ideology before family.

I argued sure, but not for such a long time. The question refers to a long timespan that is ongoing.

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics? Why? Looking to hear some perspectives.

I don't discuss politics with family other than my parents. We agree on most issues. I steer in person conversation away from politics if i sense that the person is a Tweety supporter, because the conversation will involve them peppering me with faux stuff while i try to escape the conversation. It's useless, and there are a lot of other things to talk about.

Another thing that I found works for me when I encounter someone that is a fanatic -> and won't let go of certain things -> if you want to maintain a somewhat relationship with them since they are in your family:

a) I say I have no opinion. Neutrality turns the idealogue off, as they are expecting only to agree or argue.

b) Answer with a question. By answering with a question, it gives the idealogue the impression that you care about their points, but is really buying time to cool off the conversation and change topics.

I voted no but came very close with my Trumpist brother. In the end I decided family over politics, and now we just talk about sports.

My parents and I have tend to have similar views on most political topics.

Pretty much any other topic we disagree on though.

My brother is a minister and I honestly don’t know what his political views are.

Years ago, we cut it off with in-laws. They'd gone a little Fox-crazy. Couldn't discuss politics because what can you say when the starting point is "the sky is red." My father in law passed. Mother in law is now a lot less crazy.

I’ve had a couple of friends drop me, but not family, nor have I dropped anyone myself.

Shortly after my mother died, my father went full on Trump and peppered us with texts, voicemails, emails, family gatherings became his platform to lecture us.

It got so bad that my little sister banned his emails…and she lives next door to him. They still talk and such but she won’t take his emails. The rest of us just ignore his emails and delete posts on FB when he responds with politics (he once had a hissy fit over a picture I posted of a taco place because in a neighboring window there was a tiny BLM poster and went on about it, totally missing the point of the picture).

We found out recently that he’s been telling his friends that we were censoring him and not allowing him his 1st Amendment rights.

But we haven’t stopped taking to him.

I just remembered something from my own family in a thread discussion -> both of my cousins are not talking for about 3 years over an argument it had to do with politics. It is absolutely baffling how politics can make people put ideology before family.

I argued sure, but not for such a long time. The question refers to a long timespan that is ongoing.

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics? Why? Looking to hear some perspectives.

If I stopped talking to anyone in my family, it was over "family issues," not politics. Even then, only till one or the other of us apologized or set things right.

I try to avoid politics talk when around family, because there is some contention and confusion there.

The problems are with some of my cousins, and the more regressive their politics are, the louder they are proclaimed. I can usually find something to help with in the kitchen when the rants ramp up.

With my husband’s family, the one loud Reaganite had trouble finding someone willing to indulge him in his posturing.

By coincidence, the two mouthy regressives - one from each family - were both high school teachers, and presumably used to having their word accepted without challenge. Most likely a question of personality rather than profession.

Oddly enough the ones with the most money in my family believe in trump and the lunatic rantings of the right. My one very successful cousin bought into the abortion bs, telling all of us at a cousins reunion the dems are drinking babies blood and the vaccines are made with aborted baby tissue. As usual, I couldn't keep my mouth shut with those kinds of comments but I still talk to them. Another of my cousins is a twenty six year navy man, strong republican whom I disagree with on almost all of his views, but he's my cousin and I'm always happy to see him. Thankfully most of my family are dems.

Reactions: AJG

I love discussing politics and I love my family. I do not mix those loves. I use this forum to express myself politically; I use family visits to express my love and affection for them.

Yup. We have an uncle who literally trolled us over trump's victory. So...yeah...we had to put actual family on ignore.

The weird thing is this was never a topic between us before. We never had arguments over Trump, Clinton or anything tangentially related. It just came out of nowhere.

Let me be clear about how just out-of-left-field his behavior was: we didn't even know he was a trump supporter.

Politics is religion's insignificant other. Religion is the heavy conversation, while politics is just stupid.
The largest family blow up that I personally witnessed was among cradle-Catholics about that that religion. This was among my father’s generation when religion was generally taken more seriously, although birth control was obviously being used given the overwhelming presence of two-child families among the siblings and cousins.

I remember my father saying afterwards that religion should never be discussed.

Really? Nearly everyone here both left and right have said they have chosen family over politics, or at least have chosen to avoid political debates in order to prevent further issues.
Quiet, you'll disrupt the flow of bias confirmation!

Reactions: AJG
The largest family blow up that I personally witnessed was among cradle-Catholics about that that religion. This was among my father’s generation when religion was generally taken more seriously, although birth control was obviously being used given the overwhelming presence of two-child families among the siblings and cousins.

I remember my father saying afterwards that religion should never be discussed.
There is a time and a place. I just spent two weeks down in Waco helping my folks move into an assisted living center. They're a nice Catholic couple in their mid-eighties. The trick is to never argue religion. Be open to everyone.

I've got a mess of kinfolk in Venice, CA. They've lived on the corner of Frey Ave, next to The Marina Del Ray since '53. It used to dead end into baseball fields before the Marina construction.

Quiet, you'll disrupt the flow of bias confirmation!
It's hard to fathom how much confirmation bias it took for him to reach that conclusion. I guess just a single example is all it takes for some people to make sweeping generalizations.

Back
Top Bottom