• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics?

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics?

• Total voters
I love talking about politics so the more someone disagrees with me the more I want to talk to them.

the vaccines are made with aborted baby tissue.
Weird hill to die on, especially when you're wrong and your family member was correct.

I love talking about politics so the more someone disagrees with me the more I want to talk to them.
I couldn't think of much more boring than talking to people who only agree with me.

There is a time and a place. . . The trick is to never argue religion. Be open to everyone.

I've got a mess of kinfolk in Venice, CA. They've lived on the corner of Frey Ave, next to The Marina Del Ray since '53. It used to dead end into baseball fields before the Marina construction.
The older generation was going at it while we younger ones were rather gobsmacked at the display.

I have an idea of the area in Venice that you mention. I live some ways north of the Marina. My grandparents and great aunt and uncle used to rent cottages on the canals for summer vacation. Very affordable then.

I wish more people felt this way. Most of the time it's the other way around. Talking to people you disagree with I feel is one of the best ways to learn. Even if you don't think you'll ever see things their way just digging into why they think the way they do is often eye opening.

No. My parents were unionist democrats, My brothers are on the right side of the spectrum in all things (and one is a former law-and-order loving cop). I'm a small government, leave-me-the-f-alone-to-live-my-life-as-I-see-fit libertarian who clashes with them constantly on many issues. We can still go out to dinner and have a good time.

The older generation was going at it while we younger ones were rather gobsmacked at the display.

I have an idea of the area in Venice that you mention. I live some ways north of the Marina. My grandparents and great aunt and uncle used to rent cottages on the canals for summer vacation. Very affordable then.
Their house is a block and a half from the Washington St. pier of Venice beach. My last visit was in '86. It appeared that the hardware store had had a sale on spray paint, plus an addition 15% off for taggers. Now I hear that Venice beach has become somewhat of a camping area for those with no place else to go. I'm thinking of moving there.

I have occasional political discussions with family members, usually spirited but not angry. I had to cut off relations with the Qanaon believer however, that's a bridge too far for me.

with the Qanaon believer however, that's a bridge too far for me.
I only had the "pleasure" to speak with a Q Anon fan once. The man selling books at the corner where my condo is.

His argument was that "if you take the vaccine it will cancel the 5G defence we have in our body so when the system launches we will be controlled by somebody". :unsure:

He gave me a website at the end which I informed him I will not visit based on his argument.

I only had the "pleasure" to speak with a Q Anon fan once. The man selling books at the corner where my condo is.

His argument was that "if you take the vaccine it will cancel the 5G defence we have in our body so when the system launches we will be controlled by somebody". :unsure:

He gave me a website at the end which I informed him I will not visit based on his argument.
My cousin went the whole route, baby eating dems, JFK JR. coming back to run w trump in 2024, more people have died after taking the vaccine than
from covid, it was more than I could deal with. I told him to call me when his sanity returned. He hasn't so far.

I voted no but came very close with my Trumpist brother. In the end I decided family over politics, and now we just talk about sports.
I try to avoid politics with my Drumpf’s brother. But usually one of us will slip up, I’ll tell him what I think, as will he, but we don’t fight.

My cousin went the whole route, baby eating dems, JFK JR. coming back to run w trump in 2024, more people have died after taking the vaccine than
from covid, it was more than I could deal with. I told him to call me when his sanity returned. He hasn't so far.
was he part of the people that were waiting for Kennedy to return on that one day?

My stepfather is pretty right-wing and we’ve had tons of heated discussions over the years. He’s not a cultist though, just pretty anti-tax, not crazy about immigration or gays. Run of the mill conservative. We generally try to avoid politics, mostly talk about sports. He’s a history and wine buff like me so we have lots in common.

I’ve had a couple of friends drop me, but not family, nor have I dropped anyone myself.

Shortly after my mother died, my father went full on Trump and peppered us with texts, voicemails, emails, family gatherings became his platform to lecture us.

It got so bad that my little sister banned his emails…and she lives next door to him. They still talk and such but she won’t take his emails. The rest of us just ignore his emails and delete posts on FB when he responds with politics (he once had a hissy fit over a picture I posted of a taco place because in a neighboring window there was a tiny BLM poster and went on about it, totally missing the point of the picture).

We found out recently that he’s been telling his friends that we were censoring him and not allowing him his 1st Amendment rights.

But we haven’t stopped taking to him.
That’s funny…

It is just plain silly to let politics divide families.

When people say that family is the most important thing in one's life, they are right.

Just ask those people who have no family because of any reason.

Neither Biden nor Trump loves us.

So why in the world should we become estranged from family or friends because of those two guys?

BLM. Gays. Immigrants. Ukraine. Crime. Inflation. Healthcare. Twitter. Florida.

How silly to let such topics destroy our personal relationships.

Reactions: AJG
My brother hates Trump and when I told him I voted for him he told me until I admitted my mistake we had nothing to talk about. 😂. He’ll take it to his grave.

I just remembered something from my own family in a thread discussion -> both of my cousins are not talking for about 3 years over an argument it had to do with politics. It is absolutely baffling how politics can make people put ideology before family.

I argued sure, but not for such a long time. The question refers to a long timespan that is ongoing.

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics? Why? Looking to hear some perspectives.
No option for "I listen and try to make opposing views in a non-scary manner"

My brother hates Trump and when I told him I voted for him he told me until I admitted my mistake we had nothing to talk about. 😂. He’ll take it to his grave.
Some of my family hated Obama so I say, every time that politics come up, that I wish Obama could have run a third term or that I miss the days of Obama's presidency... stuff like that just to piss them off. I basically just say the opposite of whatever it is that they are complaining about.

Fortunately there are no known or admitted QAnon idiots in my family, so the topic has not come up. If there were, I would treat it like I would any other mental illness situation… with kindness but also clear lines.

That's really sad. Politics is something none of us have any real control over. My brother voted for Trump but you know what? **** politics - no politician or ideology is worth losing family over.

Reactions: AJG
No, I have not. All of the folks I know of who won't speak to family or friends are leftists.

I am not sure it is about Trump.

It seems that many leftists know that their dogma cannot stand up to vigorous debate or rational thought.

They know they are right, but when it comes to explaining their beliefs, they can't make a rational argument.

When asked to debate, they run and hide their heads in a hole in the ground.

Leftists know that they know the truth. They also know that for some unexplained reason a high school dropout who doesn't know anything can always defeat them in a rational debate.

This is why the conservatives own talk radio. Rational thought always wins a debate in the end.

Leftists have poured a lot of money into trying to form leftist talk radio shows, but unless they ban anyone who disagrees with them, they always fail.

When forced to debate all the leftists have is cursing and name-calling.

Free speech is their enemy because if the other guy gets to have his say, leftists look silly.

Now I hear that Biden is going to form a group of leftist government elitists to tell us that the rest of us are always wrong and the government is always telling the truth.

Leftists may actually believe their silly ideas. If someone shines a light on those ideas, they will not stand.

I am the last real liberal in my area and I still believe that,,,, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!"

This one statement proves that the opposite of a liberal is a leftist! Leftists don't want to allow anyone who disagrees with them to speak. Liberals, like me, welcome rational debate.

No, I have not. All of the folks I know of who won't speak to family or friends are leftists.

I am not sure it is about Trump.

It seems that many leftists know that their dogma cannot stand up to vigorous debate or rational thought.

They know they are right, but when it comes to explaining their beliefs, they can't make a rational argument.

When asked to debate, they run and hide their heads in a hole in the ground.

Leftists know that they know the truth. They also know that for some unexplained reason a high school dropout who doesn't know anything can always defeat them in a rational debate.

This is why the conservatives own talk radio. Rational thought always wins a debate in the end.

Leftists have poured a lot of money into trying to form leftist talk radio shows, but unless they ban anyone who disagrees with them, they always fail.

When forced to debate all the leftists have is cursing and name-calling.

Free speech is their enemy because if the other guy gets to have his say, leftists look silly.

Now I hear that Biden is going to form a group of leftist government elitists to tell us that the rest of us are always wrong and the government is always telling the truth.

Leftists may actually believe their silly ideas. If someone shines a light on those ideas, they will not stand.

I am the last real liberal in my area and I still believe that,,,, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!"

This one statement proves that the opposite of a liberal is a leftist! Leftists don't want to allow anyone who disagrees with them to speak. Liberals, like me, welcome rational debate.
Complete gibberish. Conservatives own talk radio because their listeners like to be spoonfed their bumper sticker opinions. Funny you mention name calling when the most prominent conservative of the last decade ran a presidential campaign on that very platform.

Please cite the high school dropout who excels at political debate. You won’t be able to because the left values third level eduction where critical thinking is learned. The right is too busy watching tv which makes them think they are experts on any given subject from international relations to constitutional law to epidemiology.

Silly ideas appear to be your stock in trade, friend. Welcome to the forum.

I just remembered something from my own family in a thread discussion -> both of my cousins are not talking for about 3 years over an argument it had to do with politics. It is absolutely baffling how politics can make people put ideology before family.

I argued sure, but not for such a long time. The question refers to a long timespan that is ongoing.

Did you stop talking to your own members of the family over politics? Why? Looking to hear some perspectives.

How about "Have you been disowned by family members over politics"
That's me, and it's not a poll choice.

Back
Top Bottom