• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did you read Vladmir Puntin's op-ed to the American people in its entirety?

Did you read Vladmir Puntin's op-ed to the American people in its entirety?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I read it after seeing this thread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its none of anybody's business what I read or don't read

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We Americans, myself included, are bombarded with news and information on a wide variety of topics that its just easier to listen to a commentator or news anchor give us his/her take on whatever news item there my be and maybe a sound bite. I think this is probably true of people world-wide as well. On more than one occasion I have defended American news organizations to people in other countries who were convinced they were experts on the American news media, especially television news, based on things they saw online but without access to the actual broadcasts they condemned.

Recently Russian President Vladamir Putin wrote an op-ed, directed at the American people that appeared in an American newspaper. There was much media coverage and controversy surrounding a statement he reportedly made where he publicly disagreed with President Obama's statement on American Exceptionalism in his recent address to the nation on a possible military strike. American exceptionalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is interesting all by itself considering President Obama invoked a key conservative value in making the case for an attack on Syria. Based on my possible incorrect observations, many (which is not to say all) conservatives like to oppose the President on everything even if if means changing their position in order to disagree with him. Now Putin disagrees with him and some conservatives are finding themselves defending the President's stance. From what I've seen so far however those who are defending him are being careful to exclude any mention of the name "President Obama" in their defense and are simply crafting their arguments as disagreeing with Vladimir Putin. :lamo

Anywho, I wanted to see what all the fuss was really about and decided to read the op-ed myself and was surprised to see the American Exceptionalism jab was basically a minor footnote on an otherwise thought provoking piece. Not saying I agree with everything in it 100% including a lot of talk suggesting America's foreign policy should be subjected to international law and UN Security Council resolutions, Putin did make some good points and I can see how if you're not an American someone could feel they have no voice in significant global matters. Nevertheless, if I'd not read the op-ed based on how its been covered I would have been left with a inaccurate view of what Putin actually was saying.

Some got defensive as soon as Putin made an argument directly to the American people based on what was perceived to be a misrepresentation of Putin's prior record. Then you add in the bit on American exceptionalism, and it was over the top. Nevertheless, you'll find some conservatives preferring the words of Putin to that of the President, despite any prior gripes about Putin's Russia.

I'm on the side that argues that Putin scored here, but I find his Op-ed disingenuous, specious, and worthy of distrust.

Last edited:
Anyway the score for handling Syria is : Putin 10 and Obama 0

We Americans, myself included, are bombarded with news and information on a wide variety of topics that its just easier to listen to a commentator or news anchor give us his/her take on whatever news item there my be and maybe a sound bite. I think this is probably true of people world-wide as well. On more than one occasion I have defended American news organizations to people in other countries who were convinced they were experts on the American news media, especially television news, based on things they saw online but without access to the actual broadcasts they condemned.

Recently Russian President Vladamir Putin wrote an op-ed, directed at the American people that appeared in an American newspaper. There was much media coverage and controversy surrounding a statement he reportedly made where he publicly disagreed with President Obama's statement on American Exceptionalism in his recent address to the nation on a possible military strike. American exceptionalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is interesting all by itself considering President Obama invoked a key conservative value in making the case for an attack on Syria. Based on my possible incorrect observations, many (which is not to say all) conservatives like to oppose the President on everything even if if means changing their position in order to disagree with him. Now Putin disagrees with him and some conservatives are finding themselves defending the President's stance. From what I've seen so far however those who are defending him are being careful to exclude any mention of the name "President Obama" in their defense and are simply crafting their arguments as disagreeing with Vladimir Putin. :lamo

Anywho, I wanted to see what all the fuss was really about and decided to read the op-ed myself and was surprised to see the American Exceptionalism jab was basically a minor footnote on an otherwise thought provoking piece. Not saying I agree with everything in it 100% including a lot of talk suggesting America's foreign policy should be subjected to international law and UN Security Council resolutions, Putin did make some good points and I can see how if you're not an American someone could feel they have no voice in significant global matters. Nevertheless, if I'd not read the op-ed based on how its been covered I would have been left with a inaccurate view of what Putin actually was saying.
I would have had more respect for his points regarding the UN and international law had his country not routinely thwarted pretty much anything we ever wanted to do "just because".

Anyway the score for handling Syria is : Putin 10 and Obama 0
Unfortunately, this is true.

Some got defensive as soon as Putin made an argument directly to the American people based on what was perceived to be a misrepresentation of Putin's prior record. Then you add in the bit on American exceptionalism, and it was over the top. Nevertheless, you'll find some conservatives preferring the words of Putin to that of the President, despite any prior gripes about Putin's Russia.

I'm on the side that argues that Putin scored here, but I find his Op-ed disingenuous, specious, and worthy of distrust.
Agree with your last sentence completely.

It would have been more dignified on his part to leave out the part regarding us not being exceptional. That just made him look like a petty 12 yr old with an inferiority complex.

I would have had more respect for his points regarding the UN and international law had his country not routinely thwarted pretty much anything we ever wanted to do "just because".

Unfortunately, this is true.

Agree with your last sentence completely.

It would have been more dignified on his part to leave out the part regarding us not being exceptional. That just made him look like a petty 12 yr old with an inferiority complex.

I'm trying to understand his big picture motive in this. I would hope he's interested in better co-operation with America. This is the first time I can recall a forgiven head of state directly and respectfully addressed the American people other than Tony Blair's impromptu speech on 9/11/01 where he pledged to stand shoulder to shoulder with us in fighting the terrorists responsible for the attacks that day. You're right though in that Putin's track record has been less about wanting to stand up for what right and simply opposing America no matter what as if he sees us his opposition and it his job to make sure Russia opposes America regardless. Maybe he's trying to turn over a new leaf.

I really don't like the "violation of international law" language however. Who is authorized to write the laws America is bound to and did we agree to any of them?

Back
Top Bottom