• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did you know that Austria imports 70% of its daily gas from Russia and that our depots are only 18% full right now ?

?

• Total voters

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Yeah, we are quite dependent on these autocratic motherfu**ers when it comes to gas.

Oil, not so much, just 6% from Russia.

I wonder what the world would look like today if the GOP was not so obsessed with power for power's sake that it became a bunch of AGW denying idiot-assholes simply because people on the left said we should take climate change seriously.

I'd bet that at the very least, we'd have far more advanced, widespread, and cleaner non-fossil energy. One of the many benefits this would have has obvious play in the invasion of Ukraine and our response to it.

Yes, I knew, what I was surprised to find out -> the Foreign Minister decided to declare this in public at this time:

The Foreign Minister of Austria Alexander Schallenberg stated last week that Ukraine should not be awarded membership in the European Union.

That sux. What are Austria's plans to do about that issue?

Short-term (until the next winter):

Spend 7.5 billion $ in expanding gas depots so they are 80% full.

Long-term (until 2027-30):

Buying gas from somewhere else over the next years.

And go even greener on other forms of energy, also by expanding bio-gas production and green hydrogen production.

Also, reduce gas consumption longterm.

This could make Austria independent of Russian gas by 2027, or by 2030.

Austria is a landlocked country that would rely on pipelines to bring in any natural gas, be it from Russia or any other country through LNG imports. If the facilities to import LNG and ship it to Austria do not exist, then it will have to wait until they are built. A couple of year's best case scenario

Austria is a landlocked country that would rely on pipelines to bring in any natural gas, be it from Russia or any other country through LNG imports. If the facilities to import LNG and ship it to Austria do not exist, then it will have to wait until they are built. A couple of year's best case scenario
I used to live in Salzburg - but that was back when energy wasn't a front page news item.

I wonder what the world would look like today if the GOP was not so obsessed with power for power's sake that it became a bunch of AGW denying idiot-assholes simply because people on the left said we should take climate change seriously.

I'd bet that at the very least, we'd have far more advanced, widespread, and cleaner non-fossil energy. One of the many benefits this would have has obvious play in the invasion of Ukraine and our response to it.
Lol.

Look a crisis caused by failure of leftist government is now being spun by the left as a reason they need more power.

This rant implies that we are the only country on Earth whos research and development of renewables is capable of producing results.

*NEWSFLASH*

Europe has been trying to "go green" for just as long as we have... and they're still dependent on fossil fuels. Are the conservatives in Austria, Germany, France, Great Brittan, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Spain, Italy, Greece, etc, etc, etc... ****ing it all up over there, too?

Did you live in the city or the countryside of Salzburg ? And when ?

I live in the mountainous countryside.
With a local family, several miles east of the old city. Every day I'd pass Leopoldskron on my way into the city and crossed a footbridge over the river to a building where our classes were.

I long to go back there someday - it's my favorite city in the whole world. And Stiegl my favorite beer. ;)

Yeah, we are quite dependent on these autocratic motherfu**ers when it comes to gas.

Why are you still burning fossil fuels, don't you care about the environment? Gaia doesn't like it when you burn fossil fuels, so the Russians are doing you a favor.

Lol.

Look a crisis caused by failure of leftist government is now being spun by the left as a reason they need more power.
Yeah, damn those leftists for neglecting to put natural gas fields in Austria.

Why are you still burning fossil fuels, don't you care about the environment? Gaia doesn't like it when you burn fossil fuels, so the Russians are doing you a favor.
Why do you bother with this kind of pointless blather?
You apparently dont give a damn how it makes you look.

Austria actually imports 80% of its gas from Russia. The 70% figure is the Russian gas imports as a percentage of total consumption. 63 Tera-Watt-hours of gas are imported from Russia, 16 from elsewhere, 1 is made here by biogas and 10 are produced here as regular gas.

Here is a chart of the status quo, the strategy to 2027 and 2030 as unveiled today:

Gasverbrauch.jpg

For those interested, Google translate this article here:

Yeah, damn those leftists for neglecting to put natural gas fields in Austria.
The leftists are the ones creating a conflict with Russia. This entire line of militaristic rhetoric against the Russians, largely to accomplish goals of saving face for Hillary’s loss to Trump, is part of what led to a war here today

The leftists are the ones creating a conflict with Russia. This entire line of militaristic rhetoric against the Russians, largely to accomplish goals of saving face for Hillary’s loss to Trump, is part of what led to a war here today
Translation: HRC is still living in my head rent free 5 1/2 years after she admitted she lost a free and fair election. Furthermore, my silly claim above is baseless, and I will provide zero evidence said silly claim holds a drop a water of factuality or truth. Please see my tag.

:snorts: sure. It's all about domestic U.S. politics. :)

Germany tried this route. It led to them becoming even more dependent on Russian energy.

I'd bet that at the very least,
we'd have far more advanced, widespread, and cleaner non-fossil energy. One of the many benefits this would have has obvious play in the invasion of Ukraine and our response to it.
"...The runner-up, California, brought 2,697 megawatts online.

... Texas also is the leader when ranking the states on how much wind, solar and storage they have under construction or in advanced development; Texas has 19,918 megawatts, followed in the distance by California, with 13,663 megawatts.

Texas can claim, with ample evidence, to be the renewable energy capital of the United States. This is despite also being the fossil fuel capital of the United States, and having political leaders who go out of their way to defer to oil and gas..."

Jackass lovefest.... their word is their....??? their principles are....???

Elon Musk Criticizes Twitter Executive, Drawing Employee Backlash​

Twitter’s prospective owner used the platform to mock the company’s top legal boss over the company’s alleged political bias​

By Deepa Seetharaman and Georgia Wells
Updated Apr. 28, 2022

"Elon Musk, whose takeover bid for Twitter Inc. was accepted two days ago, continued to use the site to criticize executives there, culminating in a meme Wednesday that mocked the top legal boss’s response to accusations of the company’s political bias.

The tweets from Mr. Musk, who has an outsize presence on Twitter, with more than 80 million followers, prompted online attacks toward Vijaya Gadde, Twitter’s longtime head of legal, policy and safety. Mr. Musk’s critique escalated despite an agreement as part of the takeover deal not to disparage the company or the people who work there.

On Wednesday, Mr. Musk tweeted an image of Ms. Gadde, overlaid with text that repeated allegations that Twitter has a left-wing political bias. Mr. Musk’s followers and others on Twitter soon retweeted his message more than 20,000 times, and some added racist and sexist messages directed at Ms. Gadde, including that she should be fired and should go back to India.
Twitter didn’t respond to requests for comment. Mr. Musk and Ms. Gadde didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
The episode delineates the tension underlying Mr. Musk’s imminent ownership of one of the world’s most influential social-media networks. Mr. Musk often directs his combative style on Twitter at people he disagrees with, which can lead to pile-ons by his fans. Twitter executives have argued that minimizing harassment and abuse is the best possible way to ensure as many users as possible can speak freely on the site. Mr. Musk has said those efforts have gone too far, and that he would prefer to allow any speech that isn’t expressly illegal. Mr. Musk’s posts also highlight the difficulties facing Twitter’s board and executives, who are operating according to policies and practices that the company’s future owner disagrees with..."

Some of the least educated voters in the U.S. foisted this PoS on the rest of us....

44. Kentucky
> Median household income:
$52,295
> Adults with at least a bachelor’s degree: 25.1% (5th lowest)
>..
> Population:

Apr 7, 2022
  • Asked where he draws his moral red lines, McConnell said: "I'm very comfortable with my moral red line."
  • McConnell would not commit to Supreme Court hearings for Biden nominees if the GOP takes the majority in November. "I choose not to answer the question," he said.

Attachments

• 1651228138502.png
    1651228138502.png
    239 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited:

Stop the Spin: Turbines Less Deadly Than Fossil Fuels

https://ecori.org › 2018-1-22-stop-the-spin-wind-turbin...
Jan 22, 2018 — "North American wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds annually, according to a 2013 study. Another 2013 study claimed ..."

"In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats."

Wind Power and Birds - National Audubon Society

https://www.audubon.org › news › wind-power-and-birds
Jul 21, 2020 — "An estimated 140,000 to 500,000 bird deaths occur per year due to turbine collisions, which is substantial, but significantly less than deaths caused by outdoor cats and building collisions. ..."

When It Comes to Wind Turbines and Birds, Is Bigger Really ...

https://www.audubon.org › news › when-it-comes-wind-t...
Sep 23, 2021 — One aspect that has been debated recently is the size of the turbines themselves. Some have argued that a bigger turbine is safer for birds.

Painting Wind Turbine Blades Black Help Birds Avoid Deadly ...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com › smart-news › black...
Aug 27, 2020 — The United States Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that roughly 300,000 birds were killed by wind turbines in 2015. Another study estimated ...

"Gas" ... natural gas down to 18% or petrol - motor fuel?

This professor was hired by Yale, Bush's alma mater. He is an M.E. expert and was very vocal in his criticism of Bush's decision
to invade Iraq, justified by the Bush - Cheney manipulations.

Yale caved in conservative objections to hiring Cole and rescinded the offer to Juan Cole,

ROSE HOROWITCH & PHILIP MOUSAVIZADEH 9:01 AM, APR 16, 2021
"..The Yale Investments Office estimates that 2.6 percent of Yale’s endowment — about $800 million — is invested in fossil fuel-producing companies. The committee’s chair, Jonathan Macey LAW ’82, could not specify an exact timeline for divesting from the companies, as it is up to the Investments Office. But in the past, the Investments Office has moved quickly on these matters, Macey said..."

Yale, Stanford and MIT's fossil fuel investments are illegal ...

https://www.theguardian.com › environment › feb › us-...
Feb 16, 2022Yale, Stanford and MIT's fossil fuel investments are illegal, students say.

Last edited:
Now thats reaching, even for you. You cant really believe that Putin has been manipulated by the American left, can you? Do you think the partisan bickerfest in the US is world-shaking important?
Have you ever been outside the US?

Back
Top Bottom