• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did you ever have a cross of ashes on your forehead on Ash Wednesday?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Wondering why a small dusty cross anoints the foreheads of Christians once a year? Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent, a 40-day period of penance for Christians around the world. It always falls on the Wednesday six and a half weeks before Easter, which Christians believe is the day Jesus was resurrected.

My answer is: Yes, I have!

Yes.

But not since I turned 18 years old.

Now I wonder who else will say: "Yes!"

It did it in high school because it was a way to get out of a half-day of class.

Yes but I haven't been to church on Ash Wednesday in probably 20 years or more. Bring on the fish fries!

Yes, we are Catholic.

No, and don't know anyone who does either.

• Total voters 8
5 x yes
3 x no

Observing denominations:

Ash Wednesday is observed by Western Christianity.[122] Roman Rite Roman Catholics observe it,[note 1] along with certain Protestants like Lutherans, Anglicans,[122] some Reformed churches,[125] some Baptists,[126] Nazarenes,[127] Methodists,[128] Evangelicals,[129] and Mennonites.[130][131] The Moravian Church[132][133] Wesleyan Church[134] and Metropolitan Community Churches observe Ash Wednesday.[135] Churches in the United Protestant tradition, such as the Church of North India and United Church of Canada honour Ash Wednesday too.[136] Some Independent Catholics,[137][138] and the Community of Christ also observe it.[139]

The Eastern Orthodox Church does not, in general, observe Ash Wednesday; instead, Orthodox Great Lent begins on Clean Monday.[96] There are, however, a relatively small number of Orthodox Christians who follow the Western Rite; these do observe Ash Wednesday, although often on a different day from the previously mentioned denominations, as its date is determined from the Orthodox calculation of Pascha, which may be as much as a month later than the Western observance of Easter.

Some info - from the Church of England

No.

The pole probably would have been more meaningful if you specifically asked for Catholic only partication.

Unless the intention of the pole was to identify Catholic DPers...

The pole probably would have been more meaningful if you specifically asked for Catholic only partication.
Pole like North Pole or Poland - or Poll? :)
And once again: I do not get tired to repeat that Ash Wednesday is not for Catholics alone.

Yes but I haven't been to church on Ash Wednesday in probably 20 years or more. Bring on the fish fries!
I was raised Roman Catholic but left the church at 18 or so. I still support the fish fries because I love fried fish. Don't tell my Dr.

Ash Wedenesday in 2023

Ash Wednesday for the year 2023 is celebrated/ observed on Wednesday, February 22nd.

Ash Wednesday is celebrated on Wednesday seven weeks before Easter and the day after Mardi Gras also referred to as Fat Tuesday. This is a Christian observance which represents the first day of Lent and the starting of approximately 6 weeks of fasting and penance.

Back
Top Bottom