• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Trump's backing as well as the other GOPers who back Putin give him the final okay to invade Ukraine?

If Russia is somehow repelled, we should immediately grant Ukraine membership in NATO.
I don't agree. Ukraine must meet the standards required by NATO. NATO can't just a safe haven for countries who fear aggression. However, using that same criteria I think Turkey should be ousted from NATO.

If Russia is somehow repelled, we should immediately grant Ukraine membership in NATO.

No, I don't like the idea of expanding NATO. It means we have to go to war when Ukraine is attacked. I'd rather have a choice than being obliged to go to war.

Yeah, are you saying that Biden should get on his knees and satisfy Putin like Trump did?
Your Trump/Putin narrative is FOS.

In April of 2017 Trump ordered a few score of Tomahawk missiles to be launched into Syria, a location Russia was operating in. He gave Russia scant warning of the attack. Basically he said, "The missiles are on their way. Might be a good idea to move your people". He didn't *****foot around with Putin and both before and after the attack he tried to work with Russia to kill off ISIS. That was a message to Putin that the US had a SPECIFIC interest in the region and would play nice as long as playing nice was beneficial to both sides. Putin seems to have paid attention because he didn't **** around a lot after that. Biden, on the other hand, dropped his britches in Afghanistan and Putin (and Xi) both new at that point that they were pretty much going to be allowed to do whatever they wanted.

In April of 2017 Trump ordered a few score of Tomahawk missiles to be launched into Syria, a location Russia was operating in. He gave Russia scant warning of the attack. Basically he said, "The missiles are on their way. Might be a good idea to move your people". He didn't *****foot around with Putin and both before and after the attack he tried to work with Russia to kill off ISIS. That was a message to Putin that the US had a SPECIFIC interest in the region and would play nice as long as playing nice was beneficial to both sides. Putin seems to have paid attention because he didn't **** around a lot after that. Biden, on the other hand, dropped his britches in Afghanistan and Putin (and Xi) both new at that point that they were pretty much going to be allowed to do whatever they wanted.

So, has Trump condemned Putin's invasion the way the entire western world has?

No, he praised Putin as a genius who is "savvy." Not a single word of condemnation. Your claims about whether Putin was notified or consulted before Trump's actions are disputable but Trump's words are not. As soon as Trump took office he attempted to remove sanctions on Russia.

Do you remember Trump asking that Russia be readmitted to the G8?

What did Trump say to "back Putin"?
I guess you have only watched Fox, Faux, News. Trump said that Putin was brilliant and that he would send in peacekeepers to secure the border of the new republics with Ukraine and that we should do that on our borders. Once again siding with the Russian dictator and against America.

Scant warning, he gave them time enough to remove the Russians and their planes from where he was sending the missles. He just blew up an empty airport.

Russian invasions of Ukraine under Trump-0
Russian invasions of Ukraine under Biden- 1

Any questions?
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on this message board. It took years of planning and getting his countries economy ready to withstand the sanctions. He believed that Trump would win in 2020 and once the planning had been done, and even though his Friend Trump was not in office to support him, he had to go on with the plan to take Ukraine. To fail to do so would make Putin look weak to the others in Russia, and he could not afford to look weak and stay in power.

So, has Trump condemned Putin's invasion the way the entire western world has?

No, he praised Putin as a genius who is "savvy." Not a single word of condemnation. Your claims about whether Putin was notified or consulted before Trump's actions are disputable but Trump's words are not. As soon as Trump took office he attempted to remove sanctions on Russia.

Do you remember Trump asking that Russia be readmitted to the G8?

You guys really need to take a minute or two and read beyond the headlines. Here the transcript from the show the comment was clipped from.
BUCK: Mr. President, in the last 24 hours we know Russia has said that they are recognizing two breakaway regions of Ukraine, and now this White House is stating that this is an “invasion.” That’s a strong word. What went wrong here? What has the current occupant of the Oval Office done that he could have done differently?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, what went wrong was a rigged election and what went wrong is a candidate that shouldn’t be there and a man that has no concept of what he’s doing. I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, “This is genius.” Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful.

So, Putin is now saying, “It’s independent,” a large section of Ukraine. I said, “How smart is that?” And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force… We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. No, but think of it. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy… I know him very well. Very, very well.

By the way, this never would have happened with us. Had I been in office, not even thinkable. This would never have happened. But here’s a guy that says, you know, “I’m gonna declare a big portion of Ukraine independent,” he used the word “independent,” “and we’re gonna go out and we’re gonna go in and we’re gonna help keep peace.” You gotta say that’s pretty savvy. And you know what the response was from Biden? There was no response. They didn’t have one for that. No, it’s very sad. Very sad.
If you understand the context of what's being said you'd understand that Trump was NOT praising Putin. Yeah, he said Putin was savvy but he damned sure wasn't praising what Putin was doing. His comments were pure sarcasm and you can tell, even without listening, by the "no, but think of it" and then the whole "This never would have happened if I was in office". It wasn't praise in any form and the "savvy" comment was merely a statement of fact.

Scant warning, he gave them time enough to remove the Russians and their planes from where he was sending the missles. He just blew up an empty airport.
Thus sending a distinct message without starting a shooting war with Russia.

Trump and all of the other GOP Putin backers speeches have been playing on the Russians internal propaganda media. Did this help make up Putin's mind up that enough American's backed his plan to invade Ukraine that any sanctions would be removed once the GOP gained control of congress in 2022, just a few months ahead? And if not then in 2024 when Putin believes that the GOP will regain both the legislative and executive branches of our government. This would be especially true if once again the Russian hackers would be involved in those elections.

I posted on this subject about 4-5 days ago. I read in teh European press several editorials that blamed Trump and his handling of Ukraine for this.

If you understand the context of what's being said you'd understand that Trump was NOT praising Putin.

Trump was being Trump, TOTALLY reprehensible, self consumed , narcissistic and unpatriotic.

The truth is, Russia waltzed in and took over Crimea on Obama's watch. And Obama did nothing. And now Russia has invaded the rest of the Ukraine on Biden's watch. Blaming this on Trump is insane! You people who said this have lost all credibility. Biden is seen on the world stage as a weak leader, and now we are paying for it. Period.

I don't agree. Ukraine must meet the standards required by NATO. NATO can't just a safe haven for countries who fear aggression. However, using that same criteria I think Turkey should be ousted from NATO.

WEll they certainly haven't skimped on military spending.

Trump was being Trump, TOTALLY reprehensible, self consumed , narcissistic and unpatriotic.
And Biden is being Biden, 3 hours late for his presser, so far. Then he'll probably speak for 5 minutes during which he'll blame Trump 8 times.

Tha
Trump and all of the other GOP Putin backers speeches have been playing on the Russians internal propaganda media. Did this help make up Putin's mind up that enough American's backed his plan to invade Ukraine that any sanctions would be removed once the GOP gained control of congress in 2022, just a few months ahead? And if not then in 2024 when Putin believes that the GOP will regain both the legislative and executive branches of our government. This would be especially true if once again the Russian hackers would be involved in those elections.
That's ridiculous! Putin chose to invade Crimea during Obama's presidency, now he's invading Ukraine while Biden is in office! But he didn't invade while Trump was in office. Putin knows Biden is a weak leader, who'll basically allow it to happen. The Biden family enriched themselves in China, Ukraine AND Russia, by selling influence. Hunter Biden was "gifted" a million dollars by the wife of the mayor of Moscow!

Trump had put sanctions on Putin's major petroleum pipeline. But Biden REMOVED those sanctions in 2021, and basically green-lit Putin's pipeline, while shutting down some of OUR pipelines!

I guess you have only watched Fox, Faux, News. Trump said that Putin was brilliant and that he would send in peacekeepers to secure the border of the new republics with Ukraine and that we should do that on our borders. Once again siding with the Russian dictator and against America.

I hardly watch any news at all.

This is just the normal pants-wetting from the left. If Biden had said the exact same thing, you'd be clamoring for context.

Context, in this case, makes it obvious what Trump meant - that Russia never would've dared do this under his administration, which he specifically says during the interview. Furthermore in the same interview he says he told Putin to his face not to invade Russia.

The notion that Trump is siding with Russia is just ludicrous.

Yeah, are you saying that Biden should get on his knees and satisfy Putin like Trump did?
YES! if it keeps gas prices down and the Dow up. At least Biden would be making himself useful.
If Putin wants him to do it all he has to do is write BLM on his xep.
LAFFRIOT

That is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on this message board. It took years of planning and getting his countries economy ready to withstand the sanctions. He believed that Trump would win in 2020 and once the planning had been done, and even though his Friend Trump was not in office to support him, he had to go on with the plan to take Ukraine. To fail to do so would make Putin look weak to the others in Russia, and he could not afford to look weak and stay in power.
Daily chuckle! Did you study 'revisionist history" under Hannah Nikole Jones?

YES! if it keeps gas prices down and the Dow up. At least Biden would be making himself useful.
If Putin wants him to do it all he has to do is write BLM on his xep.
LAFFRIOT
But, but Trudeau and the masks! Oh Putin? He is a badass. GOP GOP GOP

What on earth happened to convince so many on the right that Putin is now a good guy with a legitimate reason for invading a sovereign country? It is astounding how easily led and manipulated these people are.
Right-wing media.

it's called 'Trump'

The only thing you can expect out of a bad person is wrong. Often, it occurs because good people don't do the right thing.

Ukrainians are allowed to own semi-auto rifles and shotguns. Their military is currently passing out automatic rifles and crates of ammo to any citizen able-bodied enough to pull a trigger. Sometimes morale comes down to what you are fighting for. Russian soldiers are at a huge disadvantage in that metric.

Back
Top Bottom