• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Trump's backing as well as the other GOPers who back Putin give him the final okay to invade Ukraine?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump and all of the other GOP Putin backers speeches have been playing on the Russians internal propaganda media. Did this help make up Putin's mind up that enough American's backed his plan to invade Ukraine that any sanctions would be removed once the GOP gained control of congress in 2022, just a few months ahead? And if not then in 2024 when Putin believes that the GOP will regain both the legislative and executive branches of our government. This would be especially true if once again the Russian hackers would be involved in those elections.

Putin does not give a sh*t what anyone thinks so the answer to your question is no.

Trump and all of the other GOP Putin backers speeches have been playing on the Russians internal propaganda media. Did this help make up Putin's mind up that enough American's backed his plan to invade Ukraine that any sanctions would be removed once the GOP gained control of congress in 2022, just a few months ahead? And if not then in 2024 when Putin believes that the GOP will regain both the legislative and executive branches of our government. This would be especially true if once again the Russian hackers would be involved in those elections.
The weakening of NATO is all on the GOP/Trump

The only thing that will pressure Putin is body bags coming back to Russia. Sanctions will make those body bags more painful for Russians to take. But its the body bags that will have real impact.

Trump is a Putin asset and did a good job of setting the stage. He discredited US institutions and promoted Putin personally. There's really nothing more Trump could have done on Putin's behalf.

If that's not empowerment then I dunno wtf is.

As an ally of the Russian regime, Trump did a really good job. I dunno what more anyone could ask.

What on earth happened to convince so many on the right that Putin is now a good guy with a legitimate reason for invading a sovereign country? It is astounding how easily led and manipulated these people are.

Putin does not give a sh*t what anyone thinks so the answer to your question is no.
In that sense, no, he doesn't, but that's not the OP's topic.

Putin indeed "gives a shit" what people think. He's ex-KGB. He's a master manipulator. What Putin "gives a shit" about is a divided USA, and in this sense, he has succeeded. The OP's question is valid, the answer to which I cannot predict, but what I can see is that without Tucker Carlson, his audience, OANN, Newsmax, Trump himself, the entire country would be opposed to Putin, as we were not long ago.

Therefore, Congress' ability to lift sanctions lies entirely with the electorate. If Putin can sway enough Americans to his side, officials can be elected to do the deed.

I understand why someone as dumb as Trump would think this is genius, but other than his own people, Putin is fooling no one (except for sorry ass Tucker Carlson loving, Trump sucking so-called Americans.)

In that sense, no, he doesn't, but that's not the OP's topic.

Putin indeed "gives a shit" what people think. He's ex-KGB. He's a master manipulator. What Putin "gives a shit" about is a divided USA, and in this sense, he has succeeded. The OP's question is valid, the answer to which I cannot predict, but what I can see is that without Tucker Carlson, his audience, OANN, Newsmax, Trump himself, the entire country would be opposed to Putin, as we were not long ago.

Therefore, Congress' ability to lift sanctions lies entirely with the electorate. If Putin can sway enough Americans to his side, officials can be elected to do the deed.

I understand why someone as dumb as Trump would think this is genius, but other than his own people, Putin is fooling no one (except for sorry ass Tucker Carlson loving, Trump sucking so-called Americans.)
Not only that, but he was able to say to his people in Russia, look, even the Americans are backing our invasion of Ukraine and that these American leaders will soon end all of the sanctions, which will cause the rest of the world to do likewise.

I don't think it is as specific and timewise as the thread title puts forward. It is much to do with seeing that American democracy is weakening from within and that Putin/Russia suffered little after taking Crimea. Much harsher economic action against Russia should have started then. I don't know, though, that there would have been any help from Europe. That may have been what prevented economic action by the US against Russia for the lack of Euro teamwork.

Not only that, but he was able to say to his people in Russia, look, even the Americans are backing our invasion of Ukraine and that these American leaders will soon end all of the sanctions, which will cause the rest of the world to do likewise.
An interesting Russian polling result.

“Russians know what Western leaders are saying. Their statements are widely featured in the media. The general feeling is that the West in fact wants Russia to attack Ukraine because that would be to the West’s advantage, it is goading Russia to attack," said [veteran Russian journalist Vladimir] Pozner.

Where does this idea come from? Which Western leaders? These guys, maybe?

What on earth happened to convince so many on the right that Putin is now a good guy with a legitimate reason for invading a sovereign country? It is astounding how easily led and manipulated these people are.
They'll go on in the same breath to attack Biden for failing to stop Putin.

I don't think they're convinced of anything. They're just saying whatever they're told to say.

Jeebus. Has the TDS really gotten this bad?

They'll go on in the same breath to attack Biden for failing to stop Putin.

I don't think they're convinced of anything. They're just saying whatever they're told to say.
Completely ignoring that Putin has gone off the deep end in the process. Entirely predictable since he has been corrupted absolutely by over 20 years of absolute power.

One would have to be completely oblivious not to notice Putin's deranged rantings for what they are. Lets see, the Communists are at fault for creating the Soviet Union and then collapsing it and he, Vlad is out to get Nazis in East Ukraine. Ah-huh. Sure you are Vlad.

Maybe somebody should sneak a truckload of Prostitutes into Vlad and take back control of Russia while he is otherwise occupied. Vlad is Hitler level gone which makes his comments about Nazi's in East Ukraine that much more absurd. That said, once he gets control of Ukraine I am sure he will trot out some victims and paint swastikas on their backs to prove his point.

Heck Vlad will likely stick a little mustache on one of them and claim that Hitler has been hanging out in an East Ukraine bunker all these years making Adolf what... 130 years old

“Russians know what Western leaders are saying. Their statements are widely featured in the media. The general feeling is that the West in fact wants Russia to attack Ukraine because that would be to the West’s advantage, it is goading Russia to attack," said [veteran Russian journalist Vladimir] Pozner.

You really think that Putin allows anything on Russian media that is not his propaganda. They get nothing else as other media is kept out electronically by Russian military. And they have been playing over and over again the words of Trump, Carlson and Pompeo.

You really think that Putin allows anything on Russian media that is not his propaganda. They get nothing else as other media is kept out electronically by Russian military. And they have been playing over and over again the words of Trump, Carlson and Pompeo.
I hear some Americans supported the Nazis prior to our involvement in WWII. I imagine it felt much like this. I'm guessing this isn't precedent setting, but when was the last time a dictator used American leaders in his propaganda campaign against his own people? And got away with it?

What did Trump say to "back Putin"?

Putin is using this "Ukraine joining NATO" BS to justify his aggression. We should have agreed that Ukraine won't join NATO to take this pretext away from him. Russian people don't want war. Ukraine will never be allowed into NATO anyway.

I don't think that any reasonable person could find that Trump WASN'T behind the Ukraine invasion. His history of making mad, passionate love to Putin while exploiting Ukraine for dirt on Biden is evidence enough of his complicity. Add in the amazingly convenient fact that his tax and legal problems are no longer front page news and it's a guarantee that Trump organized this just as an attempt to make Biden look bad. First he made up the Hillary version of the Trump/Russia story to cover his own ass and now it can't possibly be doubted that he is willing to start a war just to give a political opponent a bad name. There is no depth to which Trump won't sink and he'll take us all with him!!!!!!

Either than or Putin simply figures that Biden is butt ***** and that the EU/NATO is comprised primarily of eunuchs and he can do whatever he wants as long as he's willing to endure a sternly worded letter or two.

Putin is using this "Ukraine joining NATO" BS to justify his aggression. We should have agreed that Ukraine won't join NATO to take this pretext away from him. Russian people don't want war. Ukraine will never be allowed into NATO anyway.

If Russia is somehow repelled, we should immediately grant Ukraine membership in NATO.

If Russia is somehow repelled, we should immediately grant Ukraine membership in NATO.
Well they are not going to be immediately repelled and we are not going to immediately grant Ukraine membership in NATO even if they do. Not to worry though. The chances of Putin attacking an actual NATO member either by mistake of one of his commanders or on purpose will be quite high in due time.

For Putin: Wants peace = Weak

That much should be obvious by now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom