• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Trump try to bribe his pal Putin?

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Buzz feed is reporting that several sources state that the Trump organization offered to give Vladimir Putin a penthouse apartment worth $50 million US dollars in exchange for him making the Trump Tower Moscow possible.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...nned-to-give-vladimir-putin-the?ref=bfnsplash

President Donald Trump’s company planned to give a $50 million penthouse at Trump Tower Moscow to Russian President Vladimir Putin as the company negotiated the luxury real estate development during the 2016 campaign, according to four people, one of them the originator of the plan.
Two US law enforcement officials told BuzzFeed News that Michael Cohen, Trump’s personal lawyer at the time, discussed the idea with a representative of Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s press secretary.

As some may be aware, it is a violation of federal law to bribe a foreign official.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Corrupt_Practices_Act

The anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA make it unlawful for a U.S. person, and certain foreign issuers of securities, to make a payment to a foreign official for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person. Since the 1998 Amendment of FCPA they also apply to foreign firms and persons who take any act in furtherance of such a corrupt payment while in the U.S. The meaning of foreign official is broad. For example, an owner of a bank who is also the minister of finance would count as a foreign official according to the U.S. government. Doctors at government-owned or managed hospitals are also considered to be foreign officials under the FCPA, as is anyone working for a government-owned or managed institution or enterprise. Employees of international organizations such as the United Nations are also considered to be foreign officials under the FCPA. A 2014 federal appellate court decision has provided guidance on how the term "foreign official" is defined under FCPA.[20]

Because the Act concerns the intent of the bribery rather than the amount, there is no requirement of materiality. Offering anything of value as a bribe, whether cash or non-cash items, is prohibited.

Trumps legal woes only get worse - and today they seem to get worse by the hour.

Did Trump try to bribe his pal Putin?

tumblr_p8szllE19w1w0433po1_400.gif

I don't know, maybe he was fool enough to try...I wouldn't put it past him, per se. It's just that the notion that Trump tried to bribe Putin strikes me as uproariously preposterous. What strikes me as plausible is that Putin has bribed Trump.

For as much as I like nothing about either of them, whereas Trump is willy-nilly, idiotic and unprincipled, Putin is strategic, intelligent and disciplined. They're both reprobate, but that's a different matter.

Buzz feed is reporting that several sources state that the Trump organization offered to give Vladimir Putin a penthouse apartment worth $50 million US dollars in exchange for him making the Trump Tower Moscow possible.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...nned-to-give-vladimir-putin-the?ref=bfnsplash

As some may be aware, it is a violation of federal law to bribe a foreign official.

Trumps legal woes only get worse - and today they seem to get worse by the hour.

"...to make a payment to a foreign official for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business..."

Did this happen?

"...to make a payment to a foreign official for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business..."

Did this happen?

Read the law that I provided. It need NOT materialize for the law to be violated. Its all right there in the OP.

Read the law that I provided. It need NOT materialize for the law to be violated. Its all right there in the OP.

You didn't provide the law. All I see is a wiki article.

It's ok. He can pardon himself.

Lock him up!!!

Nope. IMHO, Putin has so much dirt on trump there's nothing trump could bribe Putin about. Putting is playing trump like a marionette.

I just heard this. I can't wait to hear Trumpkins defend this.

I work for a major corporation. It's drilled into our heads that it's illegal to bribe government officials.

I just heard this. I can't wait to hear Trumpkins defend this.

I work for a major corporation. It's drilled into our heads that it's illegal to bribe government officials.

Same here, we have extensive training for all employees worldwide about bribes and ethics.

I guess Trump's orgs don't give a damn about laws and ethics.

tumblr_p8szllE19w1w0433po1_400.gif

I don't know, maybe he was fool enough to try...I wouldn't put it past him, per se. It's just that the notion that Trump tried to bribe Putin strikes me as uproariously preposterous. What strikes me as plausible is that Putin has bribed Trump.

For as much as I like nothing about either of them, whereas Trump is willy-nilly, idiotic and unprincipled, Putin is strategic, intelligent and disciplined. They're both reprobate, but that's a different matter.

Following from my above comments....Assuming Trump attempted to bribe Putin with a $50M flat, his doing so just goes to show how stupid Trump is. Putin was, bribe or no bribe, predisposed to having Trump, rather than Hillary, as the POTUS and likely was thus amenable to aiding and abetting Trump's winning the election, bribe or no bribe....Only Trump is dumb enough to consider and conceivably attempt to bribe someone to do that about which they surely have no compunction about doing in the first place.

That's why I laughed upon reading the title:
  • Trump trying to bribe Putin to get election help would be dumb.
  • Trump actually bribing Putin to get election help would be dumber....for both of them, frankly, which may well be the reason Putin may not today own the flat in question.

Just what would it take for you to get off the Trump Train?

You must be getting a little anxious, no?

Just what would it take for you to get off the Trump Train?

You must be getting a little anxious, no?

He can't answer you truthfully and you know it. What it would take is serious therapy, a deprogrammer like is needed forother cults,and with this guy, I'm not even sure even a very skilled and experienced deprogrammer could help him.:shrug:

Trump (net worth appr. $788 million) trying to bribe Putin (net worth appr. $200 billion) hoo haaa, that's hilarious. :lamo

SwingingButterKnife.jpg

Good grief, man. The Trump organization offered nothing; the idea was suggested by Sater.

"... Sater told BuzzFeed News today that he and Cohen thought giving the Trump Tower’s most luxurious apartment, a $50 million penthouse, to Putin would entice other wealthy buyers to purchase their own. “In Russia, the oligarchs would bend over backwards to live in the same building as Vladimir Putin,” Sater told BuzzFeed News. My idea was to give a $50 million penthouse to Putin and charge $250 million more for the rest of the units. All the oligarchs would line up to live in the same building as Putin.” A second source confirmed the plan. ..."

You got a link to where the Trump organization agreed to Sater's plan?

Following from my above comments....Assuming Trump attempted to bribe Putin with a $50M flat, his doing so just goes to show how stupid Trump is. Putin was, bribe or no bribe, predisposed to having Trump, rather than Hillary, as the POTUS and likely was thus amenable to aiding and abetting Trump's winning the election, bribe or no bribe....Only Trump is dumb enough to consider and conceivably attempt to bribe someone to do that about which they surely have no compunction about doing in the first place.

That's why I laughed upon reading the title:
  • Trump trying to bribe Putin to get election help would be dumb.
  • Trump actually bribing Putin to get election help would be dumber....for both of them, frankly, which may well be the reason Putin may not today own the flat in question.

I think Trump tried to bribe Putin to get his building done. Typical business corruption. But when you mix it with politics, it's pretty bad.

Trump (net worth appr. $788 million) trying to bribe Putin (net worth appr. $200 billion) hoo haaa, that's hilarious. :lamo

You're right that the monetary value of the penthouse would be meaningless to Putin who is arguably the richest man in the world. But Trump's Moscow tower would be the talest building in Moscow. Maybe Putin would want a penthouse in the tallest building in Moscow. Maybe that would motivate him to OK the construction.

which described the law and the elements in it. I assume you could read that?

Back
Top Bottom