• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did the virus sicken ad kill all it was going to in certain states?

Not sure what that means
I read it 3 times, still doesn't make sense.

This OP is for grownups with logic and reading comprehension skills.

Questions:

1. Based on the linked chart, were the spikes in northeastern states at time when wide scale social distancing and mask usage was being practiced?
2. What does the timeline on the cited chart show after the measures were in place (mid March)?
3. Have the cases in the northeast remained flat with cautious easing of restrictions versus less restrictive reopening plans seen in other regions?

that chart is meaningless in discussing this OP.

You did better than me, I only got as far as the title. lol

that's understandable. When you are out high school, you may read better. then again.......

I can only tell you what is going on in Tucson and out here we saw an increase in both cases and deaths after reopening. That increase peaked a month ago and has been going down since. Over time I have seen more people wearing masks on a regular basis but I have also seen more people in restaurants NOT wearing masks as they sit in groups of 2-10. If the people at restaurants aren't causing an increase in cases then I have a hard time believing that masks alone are making as much of a difference as we're lead to believe.

The single biggest difference I have seen is that people have generally stopped panic buying. Grocery stores, hardware stores, home goods retailers, etc. simply aren't as busy as they were a couple of months ago and that means less people standing in line "social distancing". I'm kind of thinking that the panic buying encouraged people that felt sick or even knew that they were sick to run out and stock up before they quarantined themselves. Now that the panic is over those people don't feel the same compulsion to run out.

This mask and social distancing thing is just a crock. There is no science behind it whatsoever. All we have at best is some wonks in a lab testing how far water molecules travel and that's about it.

This tells me the virus petered out in New Jersey because there aren't enough hosts left
You keep making really stupid arguments, 100% of the population in NJ has not been exposed to the virus. If you think it has, provide supporting documents.

I would like input mainly from the conservative posters here as I consider you more rational and logical in your analysis as opposed to the emotions and hyperbole of the left. As we know, there are 4 states on the east coast who had a tremendously high death rate, and this in spite of wearing masks and social distancing. At the same time other states had drastically lower death rates. We saw an uptick in those states in the past few weeks or so. I have heard no reports that the states experiencing an uptick now are NOT wearing masks in public.

More Than 20 U.S. States Now Require Face Masks In Public : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR

The states I put in bold letters were the subject of my OP because they border each other and have the highest death rate per million, by far. YET.....they are now having the lowest percentage of NEW deaths of all. The states that previously had low death rates per million are now having much higher death rates even though each of those states require masks (as per the above link) just like the four states of New York, New Hersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts which have death rates of between 3 and 5 times higher.

So, something is going on and no one wants to talk about it. They can't use the mask excuse because masks are mandated and people are wearing them.

I submit my opinion for discussion and feedback. I think that there are millions of people who just don't catch the virus no matter what, mask or no mask. i think there are people who could have someone with full blown COVID cough in their face and not get it and millions others who get it and don't even know it or have very mild symptoms. Conversely, I think there are those that are going to get it no matter what, even if they wear the perfect mask and stay 6 feet away from others. I think this is what we had in the heavily hit states that border each other where the virus spread like wildfire after being introduced by Chinese coming from Wuhan and other parts of China and no matter what, the virus was going to do its thing and infect and kill people regardless of a mask or not. this whole mask bit is guess work and conjecture by some lab wonks using machines and not humans and not taking into account that people use aunt Mary's home made special.

So..........in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Massachusetts that are seeing drastic reductions in death rates, it is because the virus has killed those who would be killed....the elderly and the weak and there really are no more that the virus can kill in those locales because it has done its job.

In the states that are now seeing an uptick, it is because the virus has not yet finished doing its "job" and is infecting and killing people WITH masks, meaning masks are useless and just provide a placebo for the wearers. IOW, in spite of lab tests, this virus goes through these masks and will infect and kill people depending on their age and overall health, no matter what. The numbers bear this out.

I appreciate any thoughts and comments from conservatives.

And again I will tell you this....

cct2f1u9ugc51.jpg

You have no clue what you are talking about and you need to stop posting this drivel now.

All we had to do is read this 1 sentence to see that the OP is being dishonest and/or he hasn't a clue....

As we know, there are 4 states on the east coast who had a tremendously high death rate, and this in spite of wearing masks and social distancing.

When the death rates were spiking those states either didn't have the mandatory masks and distancing in place, or just started it.. Once those measures were in place and being followed the death rates dropped dramatically. I live in NY, and when the mandatory mask law was put in place it was almost impossible to find masks. Partly thanks to the total callousness and incompetence of Trump..

that's understandable. When you are out high school, you may read better. then again.......

Well, maybe when you're out of grade school you'll know how to spell "and"...but maybe not.

Last edited:
Well, maybe when you're out of grade school you'll know how to spell "and"...but maybe not.

I type fast and sometimes I type ad instead of and.

I type fast and sometimes I type ad instead of and.

Don't make fun of other peoples' intelligence if you're going to do stupid things, kid.

This mask and social distancing thing is just a crock. There is no science behind it whatsoever. All we have at best is some wonks in a lab testing how far water molecules travel and that's about it.

:lol:

All we had to do is read this 1 sentence to see that the OP is being dishonest and/or he hasn't a clue....

When the death rates were spiking those states either didn't have the mandatory masks and distancing in place, or just started it.. Once those measures were in place and being followed the death rates dropped dramatically. I live in NY, and when the mandatory mask law was put in place it was almost impossible to find masks. Partly thanks to the total callousness and incompetence of Trump..

Really now? They just started wearing masks last week in those four states? Whooda thunk? People dying right and left, Fauci saying wearing masks and all four of those stats just started.

May I see photos of maskless people in NYC like I saw in Sweden FOUR months ago?

The stuff you guys just make up is astounding.

:lamo

Hello? Case and death rates fell AFTER they started distancing. It was also so early that doctors and hospitals were still figuring out what they could do to reduce the death rates. Yeesh.

They have lower death rates because:

• It is a much younger cohort getting sick -- the average age is 35, whereas previously it was around 50

• Nursing homes are getting better at protecting patients

• We're testing more, which is finding more mild and moderate cases

• Doctors and hospitals have a few ideas on how to avoid putting people on ventilators

• As with NY/NJ etc, case rates started to fall when social distancing, including mask requirements, were reimposed

Nope, nope, wrong, MSM and medical authorities have discussed this for WEEKS.

Amid COVID-19 resurgence, fewer deaths. Dr. Fauci explains why. | American Medical Association

Why Is the COVID-19 Death Rate Down? - The Atlantic

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

As Covid-19 cases rise among younger adults, expect a lower death rate for now, says former CDC director - CNN

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There has been a lot of coverage of US death rates being lower this summer than in the spring.

Yes, and I'm sure your claim is based on your vast expertise and training in epidemiology. :lamo

Since you missed it, the US alone is a nation of 330 million people. If 10% of US citizens were immune before the pandemic started, that still leaves over 300 million people who can get sick. That can mean millions dead before we have a vaccine.

So what?

That doesn't change ANYTHING about the need to wear masks. The problem is that because people can be contagious before they have any visible symptoms, they can get other people sick without realizing it.

I think your argument is moronic.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that geographic location makes you less likely to die from COVID-19?!?

No, it's also based on observational studies. Nations and counties with wide-spread use of masks see fewer cases. Yeesh.

No, no, no. The virus most certainly has NOT killed every high-risk person in NY, NJ, CT, MA. Not even close. Your claim isn't even remotely based in reality.

:roll:

Yaay, another anti-science and fact-free rant against masks!

Social distancing works. Masks help. When you are near people and can't social distance properly, just wear a mask. It's not that difficult to understand.

Yours is a post that will take a lot of time to respond to, but it is filled with guesses, speculation and half truths and outright lies. I will respond when I have time.

The OP is trying, almost on a daily basis, to justify all the deaths that we shouldn't have had because he has a deep, emotional need to protect his political girlfriend.

Kind of sick really.

I disagree. I think we need a statistician to analyze these numbers in more depth and if I have time, I will do a spreadsheet. From what I am seeing, this virus kills those who are susceptible to it and then stops, This is why we are seeing the drop in those states that had the highest deaths per million. There just isn't any new people with the conditions the virus needs to kill Seems rather plain when you look at it. There is no other reason. Same as the Spanish flu. It killed a lot of people and stopped. No one knows why it did and no ever will. Best guess is that those who survived just couldn't be killed, like we are seeing with COVID.

The virus has killed very few people in nursing homes and assisted living and similar in my area. If you're suggesting those populations are not susceptible to getting a bad case and dying even today, then you should rethink your position, and I hope you don't have any authority anywhere over such matters, because it's a really ignorant position. That's for starters.

We also know that only a small percentage of people in most states have been exposed and 'infected.' Less than 10%. Lots more are like me and my friends who have been good social distancing for months, and likely simply haven't been exposed, yet. Anyone who believes that if they made it this far and aren't dead or have gotten sick, that they're in the clear, is quite frankly IMO a moron.

bump...
This tells me the virus petered out in New Jersey because there aren't enough hosts left
You keep making really stupid arguments, 100% of the population in NJ has not been exposed to the virus. If you think it has, provide supporting documents.

I have asked you and others for scientific evidence and I get more dancing and prancing than Dancing with the Stars with someone slapping up lad wonk studies of how far water molecules can travel through a Tshirt and that's about it.

I don't think any of you know what it takes to have a scientific consensus and it is not using cloth and water.

We also know that only a small percentage of people in most states have been exposed and 'infected.' Less than 10%.

I would think that opening schools in person should take care of that.

Don't make fun of other peoples' intelligence if you're going to do stupid things, kid.

Like typing ad instead of and? You can't figure that out but others can?

I have asked you and others for scientific evidence and I get more dancing and prancing than Dancing with the Stars with someone slapping up lad wonk studies of how far water molecules can travel through a Tshirt and that's about it.

I don't think any of you know what it takes to have a scientific consensus and it is not using cloth and water.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom