• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Did the US Have Foreknowledge of Attack on Pearl Harbor and Let It Happen Anyway?

Did the US Government Have Foreknowledge of an Upcoming Pear Harbor Attack?

• The US knew of an upcoming attack and allowed it to happen anyway.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • The US had information of an upcoming attack, didn't pay attention to it.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • The US had no foreknowledge of an upcoming attack.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here is a poll I am conducting. Did the US government have foreknowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack and let it happen anyway to garner public support for entry into World War II?

I don't buy the assertion that the United States allowed the attack to happen. FDR loved the navy. Even if he was looking for a reason to go to war, this could've been achieved by meeting the Japanese planes at Pearl Harbor and fighting them off, instead of by allowing them to attack us with our pants down.

However, it does seem reasonable that he SHOULD have known about it. It wasn't a very well kept secret in Japan, and even mid-level officials in Japan's military knew about it.

See, I heard this idea, but differently..

...I heard that British intelligence found out about Pearl Harbour, and Churchill didn't tell FDR because he wanted the US to come into the war on our side pronto...

course, I don;t have any proof of this, just sommit I saw somewhere once.

This sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.:confused:

Given that FDR should have known; did FDR scapegoat his admiral to save his own ass from blame? His admiral wasn't to blame, yet he recieved blame. Also, do you think the US government is incapable of intentionally allowing an attack to happen in order to create a wave of anger in the American public to be able to have the support for going to war against Japan?

Plain old me said:
See, I heard this idea, but differently..

...I heard that British intelligence found out about Pearl Harbour, and Churchill didn't tell FDR because he wanted the US to come into the war on our side pronto...

course, I don;t have any proof of this, just sommit I saw somewhere once.

I have heard the same as well that British Intelligence already had cracked the Japanese Code and knew the attack was coming. I wonder if FDR already knew and just let it happen. Hard to say. I wouldn't put it past anybody in government of knowing the attack was coming and still allowing it to happen anyway. That is the nature of the people in government. They care very little for human life or their own citizens. I can't say for sure if FDR allowed the attack on Pearl Harbor to happen intentionally, but his admiral certainly recieved blame that he should not have recieved. It seems they scapegoated him to give the public somebody to blame to save their own ass rather than to have the integrity to accept what is truly their responsibility and to take the blame for what they are responsible for.

I do think the US and Britian intentionally delayed D-Day because they wanted to not just exhaust Germany, but they wanted to bleed the Soviet Union and let the Germans wreck havoc on the Soviet Union, because they knew Stalin's intention was to dominate ALL of Europe and they wanted him as weak as possible after the defeat of Germany. Stalin was planning to attack Germany first, but Hitler simply beat Stalin to the punch. He was wanting Germany and the Allies to bleed each other and then he would attack Germany and conquor all of Europe and be the "saviour" and make all of Europe communist. However, Hitler beat Stalin to the punch and things backfired on Stalin and the tables were turned on him when the Allies would let Germany and the Soviet Union bleed each other instead, especially the Soviet Union. Stalin also knew this as well and held a grudge with the allies after the war. Roosvelt was a bit niave or he simply didn't care when dealing with Stalin during talks about dividing up Europe, where Stalin did not fool Churchill and Churchill fully understood what sort of man he was dealing with. Churchill and FDR sold Poland to the Russians during these talks as well as the rest of Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom