• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

did the trial change your mind?

I went into this trial thinking that Zimmerman was guilty as charged.

Hearing the evidence I think he may still be convicted of some guilt. There is no way it could be of 2nd degree murder though.
The proof just is not there.

Has anyone else re-thought their previosly held views as a result of actual evidence?

I was a lot more sympathetic for the state. Drug use and pictures of Martin holding guns sort of changed my image of him as being an innocent little kid. In all honesty, I cannot say I believe Martin was a great kid on his way to doing wonderful things for society, not that I think getting killed was okay.

However, there is another racially charged murder case coming up soon where the victim was a teenager. The difference is this seems to be the kind of kid who'd you be okay with taking your daughter to the movies on Saturday. Made good grades. Was an active member in his church's youth group. Planned on joining the Marines after high school to defend America. He was in a parked car with friends at a gas station. The shooter says he asked the occupants to turn down their music. They did not and also caused him to fear for his life. He gets his gun and unloads it in self-defense on the car killing one of the occupants then drove home to a neighboring town without calling police. A gas station attendant got a good look at his car as he drove off and police positively identified and arrested him the next day, November 24, 2012. Florida man pleads not guilty to shooting teen to death over loud music - U.S. News If the black community wanted to organize nationally get behind a high profile case, that case is a lot more troubling, triggers a greater sense of injustice and at least seems to be way more of an undeniable madman with a gun killing a really decent kid.

Zimmerman's racism? We have testimony that TM said "creepy ass cracker" and "nigger" from his girl and nothing similar against Z. Lose the stupid idea that the non-black person has to be the racist when in an altercation with a black.
Racism is best measured by what we do not what we say.
Zimmerman chose not to identify himself as a neighborhood watchman so that Trayvon would rise to a violent reaction to being stalked. He chose to shoot knowing that police could not be more than a couple of minutes away. Trayvon was identified as a "suspect solely on the color of his skin minutes before he was killed.

Not really. I have changed my mind only about Floriduh justice. If the state charges someone with murder 2, then they should not ask a sequestered jury to "toss them bone" as a consolation prize - either the state proves the alleged charge or they do not. It is terribly unfair (unjust?) to ask the jury "what did this bad boy really do?" (if anything) - that is the purpose for grand jury, not a criminal trial on a specific charge. If the state of Floriduh wishes to waste their taxpayer's resources on a full blown jury trial then the jury should either convict the defendent (as charged) or set them free.
So the availability of lesser charges is a Florida only thing? I think not.

Zimmerman chose not to identify himself as a neighborhood watchman so that Trayvon would rise to a violent reaction to being stalked. He chose to shoot knowing that police could not be more than a couple of minutes away. Trayvon was identified as a "suspect solely on the color of his skin minutes before he was killed.
How many more blows to the face and head could Travon gotten in "in the couple minutes the cops were away"?

That's a lot of tinfoil you got going. The situation you described is improbable, at best.

My mind was made stronger once I heard the entire trial.....state didn't prove their case. After listening to state claiming, this child, this is the worst thing that could happen to a child being followed in the dark by a stranger.....Really? I decided to look up child, it said, legal term:
child n. 1) a person's natural offspring. 2) a person 14 years and under. A "child" should be distinguished from a "minor" who is anyone under 18 in almost all states.
I guess I'm tired of seeing all these 12 yr old pictures of this tall 17 yr old teenager. Just when do you think the last time TM's mother talk to him about "STRANGER-DANGER".!! Perhaps 7-9 yrs. ago.

My mind was made stronger once I heard the entire trial.....state didn't prove their case. After listening to state claiming, this child, this is the worst thing that could happen to a child being followed in the dark by a stranger.....

When I heard him say that, I yelled at the TV "YES! That IS a child's worst nightmare! And every parent tells their child to run home, run to a neighbor's house, call 911....NEVER confront the strange person."

So the availability of lesser charges is a Florida only thing? I think not.

Skipping the grand jury for a murder 2 charge is not "routine", even in Floriduh. I think that counts as at least second thing. It is not as if time was a factor, since they waited 44 days to make that (unprovable?) charge. ;)

Back
Top Bottom