• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did The Republican Party Formally Abandon The Two-State Solution?

Mr. Invisible

A Man Without A Country
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Article can be found here (Did The Republican Party Formally Abandon The Two-State Solution? | ThinkProgress)

Important parts in article:

The Republican National Committee (RNC), at their winter meeting in New Orleans, unanimously adopted a resolution that appears to support a one-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Journalist Mitchell Plitnik broke the story on his blog that the RNC passed the resolution, authored by a supporter of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s presidential bid. The full text can be found at Plitnik’s post, but the relevant section reads thusly:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the members of this body support Israel in their natural and God-given right of self-governance and self-defense upon their own lands, recognizing that Israel is neither an attacking force nor an occupier of the lands of others; and that peace can be afforded the region only through a united Israel governed under one law for all people.

The RNC had not promoted the resolution in the media, so Plitnik wrote to confirm its authenticity. RNC National Committeewoman from South Carolina Cindy Costa sponsored the resolution, so Plitnick wrote to her to confirm the authenticity of the resolution. Here’s the exchange between Costa — who just yesterday endorsed Romney — and Plitnik, who published the e-mails on his blog:

Me: Dear Ms. Costa,

[...] I just wanted to
check with you that this was in fact an officially adopted RNC resolution. Can you please let me know? Thanks.

Costa:
Yes it was adopted unanimously by the RNC last Friday at our winter meeting in New Orleans. Cindy

If the Republican Party has indeed abandoned the two-state solution, I am going to have to wonder exactly how they are going to try and pull this thing off.

Last edited:
Article can be found here (Did The Republican Party Formally Abandon The Two-State Solution? | ThinkProgress)

Important parts in article:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
If the Republican Party has indeed abandoned the two-state solution, I am going to have to wonder exactly how they are going to try and pull this thing off.

Yes, you missed out
As Plitnik notes, the resolution endorses “one law for all people.” “So,” Plitnik writes, “there is no interpretation possible other than that the RNC is also advocating complete Israeli annexation of the West Bank, including granting citizenship to the Palestinians living there.”

One law for all the people. Citizenship for the Palestinians. Who would have thought it? The Republicans are full of surprises.

Yes, you missed out

One law for all the people. Citizenship for the Palestinians. Who would have thought it? The Republicans are full of surprises.

No I did not miss out as I read the article before I posted it. When I said "I am going to have to wonder exactly how they are going to try and pull this thing off," I meant in the context of how are they going to push both sides to agree to a one state solution.

No I did not miss out as I read the article before I posted it. When I said "I am going to have to wonder exactly how they are going to try and pull this thing off," I meant in the context of how are they going to push both sides to agree to a one state solution.

What do you mean by both sides? The PLO called for a one state solution from its inception up until the Oslo period. Similarly Hamas has only agreed to a two-state solution after pressure from Israel and Fatah. Its the Israelis that will need convincing, though the idea does have an interesting level of support on the far right.

What do you mean by both sides? The PLO called for a one state solution from its inception up until the Oslo period. Similarly Hamas has only agreed to a two-state solution after pressure from Israel and Fatah. Its the Israelis that will need convincing, though the idea does have an interesting level of support on the far right.

You kind of answered your own question. Israel and Hamas will need convincing to agree to a one-state solution.

You kind of answered your own question. Israel and Hamas will need convincing to agree to a one-state solution.

Thats kind of my point, the struggle for the past two decades or so has been to make Hamas *Abandon* support for a one state-solution, a goal that only achieved this year. I'm sure they could be convinced to adopt it again. It is Israel who needs convincing.

BTW heres an old thread on the one state solution linked to guardian article on Israeli support for it in some sectors http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle-east/79635-dave-agrees-israeli-right.html

Last edited:

The Oslo Accords undermined the Intifada movement which was the first time Palestinians were united. Granted, there was violence, but it was reactionary violence due to the illegal occupation of Israel and much of the movement was non-violent, despite Israel propaganda.

The Oslo Accords essentially undermined the self-determination of the Palestinians at the time. As usual, Israel responded with disproportional force to squelch the secular movement.

As the movement gained power, Mossad undermined it by supporting Hamas.

Last edited:
I meant in the context of how are they going to push both sides to agree to a one state solution.
I personally do not think such utopianism is possible. Although the two people's share some commonality, there are far too many political/cultural/religious/narrative differences for a one-state-two-people arrangement to be a viable/peaceful option. Hell, even the closely related Czechs and Slovaks felt more comfortable with a two-state arrangement.

I think if everyone in that area doesn't like it, maybe it's not such a good idea. Maybe we let them decide what they want. Crazy idea for sure.

I personally do not think such utopianism is possible. Although the two people's share some commonality, there are far too many political/cultural/religious/narrative differences for a one-state-two-people arrangement to be a viable/peaceful option. Hell, even the closely related Czechs and Slovaks felt more comfortable with a two-state arrangement.

Is it any more realistic then a two state solution though?, the Palestinians are not going to accept a "two-state" solution with settlements and the settlers are not going anywhere. The fact that the last attempt at a two state solution had to be enforced by turning the PA into a police state speaks volumes for how much legitimacy it has among the Palestinians.

I think if everyone in that area doesn't like it, maybe it's not such a good idea. Maybe we let them decide what they want. Crazy idea for sure.

Everyone except the Palestinians.

Everyone except the Palestinians.

The Palestinians support a one state solution which is similar but opposite to the idea of the extreme right in Israel called greater Israel.
It is not a state where everyone equal by law and it includes deporting the Jewish population, so yea the Palestinians will need convincing

The Palestinians support a one state solution which is similar but opposite to the idea of the extreme right in Israel called greater Israel.
It is not a state where everyone equal by law and it includes deporting the Jewish population, so yea the Palestinians will need convincing

I see no evidence that the PLO ever dennied that the Jews would be allowed to stay in the Palestinian state at the time when they advocated a one state solution. Jews flourised there for many centuries of Muslim rule so i dont see why they wouldnt.

Yeah, the key word there being 'rule'.

Back
Top Bottom