• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Did the founders intend this to be a Christian nation?

"Perhaps you mean majority of the religious Americans are... Christianity is merely one of many religions. "

Not just a majority of the religious Americans, but a majority of all Americans.

Contrarian said:
First off, Joe Lieberman is an Orthodox Jew who refuses to work on Saturdays and won't eat off plates and utensils that haven't been certifed Kosher... hardly an objective participant in these discussions.

Secondly, I have not been able to tie the quote he attributes to Lincoln, to Honest Abe... perhaps someone could do that? Most of the references I have found from Lincoln, show almost a complete disinterest in the subject except when he needed to make political speechs to stir the masses. This was seen even then as a powerful way of gaining support from the masses and a lesson learned well by W. How can you lose when God is your VP? Those unable to put any form of reasoned thought into their decisions, blindly follow this type of claim because they actually believe these politicians carry the mandate of God... There's a long history of this... Roman Emperors, Pharoahs both who actually became recognized as gods... hummm wonder where the idea of making a mortal man into a god came from? Until the Roman's got ahold of Jesus under Constantine, he was simply a well respected Prophet... to improve the political situation in Rome, they voted him in as a diety (only won by a slim margin too!)... isn't politics great?

“The Bible is not my book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long and complicated statements of Christian dogma.” – Abraham Lincoln
What you seem to be saying is that an elected official who is agnostic is acceptable. No others need apply. Is that correct?

You craft, most carefully, your words regarding Lincoln's references, inserting, in vain, qualifiers intended to soften the blow should one produce quotes to the contrary. Try these.

March 4, 1865
At this second appearing to take the oath of the presidential office, there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the first. Then a statement, somewhat in detail, of a course to be pursued, seemed fitting and proper. Now, at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of the great contest which still absorbs the attention, and engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented.
On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago, all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it--all sought to avert it. Neither party expected for the war, the magnitude, or the duration, which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with, or even before, the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible, and pray to the same God; and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces; but let us judge not that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered; that of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. Fondly do we hope--fervently do we pray--that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue, until all the wealth piled up by the bondsman's two-hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash, shall be repaid by another drawn by the sword, as was said three-thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgements of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."
With malice towards none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations.

November 21, 1864
Mrs. Bixby-
Dear Madam,
I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.
I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.
I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.
Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
- A. Lincoln -

November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that this nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate--we cannot consecrate--we cannot hallow--this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far beyond our meager power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

December 1, 1862
The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.
Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this administration, will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance or insignificance can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We--even we here--hold the power, and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free-honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just--a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless.

September 30, 1862
The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. In the present civil war it is quite possible that God's purpose is something different from the purpose of either party; and yet the human instrumentalities, working just as they do, are of the best adaptation to affect His purpose. I am almost ready to say that this is probably true; that God wills this contest, and wills that it shall not end yet. By His mere great power on the minds of the now contestants, He could have either saved or destroyed the Union without a human contest. Yet the contest began. And, having begun, He could give the final victory to either side any day. Yet the contest proceeds.
"While I am deeply sensible to the high compliment of a re-election; and duly grateful, as I trust, to Almighty God for having directed my countrymen to a right conclusion, as I think, for their own good, it adds nothing to my satisfaction that any other man may be disappointed or pained by the result."
--From the November 10, 1864 Response to a Serenade

"Nevertheless, amid the greatest difficulties of my Administration, when I could not see any other resort, I would place my whole reliance on God, knowing that all would go well, and that He would decide for the right."
--From the October 24, 1863 Remarks to the Baltimore Presbyterian Synod

"I am a patient man -- always willing to forgive on the Christian terms of repentance; and also to give ample time for repentance. Still I must save this government if possible."
--From the July 17, 1862 Letter to Reverend Johnson

"To read in the Bible, as the word of God himself, that 'In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread,' and to preach therefrom that, 'In the sweat of other mans faces shalt thou eat bread,' to my mind can scarcely be reconciled with honest sincerity."
--From the May 30, 1864 Letter to George Ide and Others

"Enough is known of Army operations within the last five days to claim our especial gratitude to God; while what remains undone demands our most sincere prayers to, and reliance upon, Him, without whom, all human effort is vain."
--From the May 10, 1864 Telegram Press Release

Not at all... I believe that everyone of every belief should be permitted to stand for election and hold office if they have the qualifications and can objectively represent their entire constituency. A Christian political leader who directs public policy as guided by his religious belief is no different from an Islamic Mullah who beliefs violate the rights of non-Muslims. They both beat women (among others), but in different ways

Your statement is ironic in that you say "What you seem to be saying is that an elected official who is agnostic is acceptable. No others need apply. Is that correct?"
If you replace "Agnostic" with "Christian", you have accurately portrayed the current state of American politics today. If George W. Bush, **** Cheney or even Ronald Reagan with all their considerable talents were to declare they were Agnostic or worse, claim they were Atheists, there would be absolutely no chance of their election. You and I both know it.

To illustrate the abject lack of logic further; we have had an obviously "immoral, adulterer" President (broke a commandment or two) who not only managed to stay in office BUT came back as a repentant soul after meeting with his religious advisors who counseled him as a sinner!... geez you people will believe anything! The only thing that slowed Clinton down in his pursuit of skirts was his heart condition! Religous? My butt! POLITICAL... you bet! Stupidity on the part of believers... priceless.

As to the Lincoln references, I thank you for proving my point so eliquently. Everyone of these speaches, letters had a very public, political bias to them. You cannot be elected, nor re-elected in this country if you don't have the stamp of God, the Bible and Almighty righteousness on your platform. Lincoln was despised when he ran on the anti-slavery platform. The only way he could turn the tide was to claim devine support for his platform, just a W has done, and now the Dems are pandering to the same audience. Either "Honest Abe" was really a great liar, or a great politician.

As for your earlier reference to George Washington, you are absolutely correct. He was a very religious man with no ambiguity (except perhaps that whole slave thing). Fortunately though, he was intelligent enough to agree with those who drafted the great documents (Jefferson, Franklin et al) who were ever mindful of the dangers in incorporating religion in matters of state. A fact lost on our current President and many members of Congress.

Contrarian said:
I guess according to Vauge and Fantasea, this is not only a Christian country, but Forum as well... :screwy
Well, what's one more bum guess?

RightatNYU said:
"Perhaps you mean majority of the religious Americans are... Christianity is merely one of many religions. "

Not just a majority of the religious Americans, but a majority of all Americans.

So what! That means squat. Majority means absolutely nothing when it comes to religion in the USA. To think otherwise is a form of bigotry.

26 X World Champs said:
So what! That means squat. Majority means absolutely nothing when it comes to religion in the USA. To think otherwise is a form of bigotry.

Didn't say it meant anything, nor imply that it did. I was just correcting your statement.

I agree, if it was 95% to 5% for one religion over another, it wouldn't really mean anything, other than the fact that the majority can in fact shape the laws how it likes.

Bit too quick to pull the "bigot" trigger there, champ.

RightatNYU said:
Didn't say it meant anything, nor imply that it did. I was just correcting your statement.

I agree, if it was 95% to 5% for one religion over another, it wouldn't really mean anything, other than the fact that the majority can in fact shape the laws how it likes.

Bit too quick to pull the "bigot" trigger there, champ.

I never said you were bigoted. I said that anyone who thinks that religious majority rules in the USA is bigoted.

I'm happy that you and I agree on this! Sincerely! :p

Yes we are still trying to make it a Christian nation and that'll fail. Better than making it an athiest nation.

satinloveslibs said:
Yes we are still trying to make it a Christian nation and that'll fail. Better than making it an athiest nation.

As the great American patriot that you are you should want to defend the right of ALL Americans to believe whatever belief they may have. The Founding Fathers realized that if you choose one over the other, discrimination, persecution and all sorts of terrible things can happen. The reason they made it a "secular" country is that they realized that simpletons would make statements like a "Christian nation is better than a ______ nation". Fill in the blank.

You should want that same consideration and protection in the event that the mitilant Jehovah's Witnesses take over and declare Christianity out of favor. They you'll be the target. Think before you comment :doh

Contrarian said:
As the great American patriot that you are you should want to defend the right of ALL Americans to believe whatever belief they may have. The Founding Fathers realized that if you choose one over the other, discrimination, persecution and all sorts of terrible things can happen. The reason they made it a "secular" country is that they realized that simpletons would make statements like a "Christian nation is better than a ______ nation". Fill in the blank.

You should want that same consideration and protection in the event that the mitilant Jehovah's Witnesses take over and declare Christianity out of favor. They you'll be the target. Think before you comment :doh
I recommend that you begin reading this at page 121:

http://www.naapc.org/downloads/symphony.pdf

What the hell does your anti-abortion material have to do with my comments? That debate is on another thread and you have successfully beaten that horse sufficiently. However to use this document as a scholarly analysis of why the Founding Fathers established this nation without a government sanctioned religion is like quoting Mein Kampf on the merits of Judiasm.

satinloveslibs said:
Real quick...fant...that contributed absolutely nothing to this thread...

and did you know satinloveslibs that in fact a lot of the people who wrote the constitution were deists (aka non-christians?)

ShamMol said:
Post as many empty words as you wish. I don't care. That's what one's 'delete' key is for. Mine gets a good workout.

Fantasea said:
Post as many empty words as you wish. I don't care. That's what one's 'delete' key is for. Mine gets a good workout.
can you give me some worth for that post? i seem to have had some but i lost it in my pocket.

this thread...Christian nation-did the founders intend
you write...abortion

now i just have one question...whats up with dat?

ShamMol said:

and did you know satinloveslibs that in fact a lot of the people who wrote the constitution were deists (aka non-christians?)

No I didn't. Which ones?

satinloveslibs said:
No I didn't. Which ones?

Benjamin Franklin, delegate to the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, said:
As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion...has received various corrupting Changes, and I have, with most of the present dissenters in England, some doubts as to his Divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the Truth with less trouble." He died a month later, and historians consider him, like so many great Americans of his time, to be a Deist, not a Christian.
Benjamin Franklin, A Biography in his Own Words, edited by Thomas Fleming, p. 404, (1972, Newsweek, New York, NY) quoting letter by BF to Exra Stiles March 9, 1970.

Thomas Jefferson, third president and author of the Declaration of Independence, said:"I trust that there is not a young man now living in the United States who will not die a Unitarian." He referred to the Revelation of St. John as "the ravings of a maniac" and wrote:
The Christian priesthood, finding the doctrines of Christ levelled to every understanding and too plain to need explanation, saw, in the mysticisms of Plato, materials with which they might build up an artificial system which might, from its indistinctness, admit everlasting controversy, give employment for their order, and introduce it to profit, power, and pre-eminence. The doctrines which flowed from the lips of Jesus himself are within the comprehension of a child; but thousands of volumes have not yet explained the Platonisms engrafted on them: and for this obvious reason that nonsense can never be explained."
Thomas Jefferson, an Intimate History by Fawn M. Brodie, p. 453 (1974, W.W) Norton and Co. Inc. New York, NY) Quoting a letter by TJ to Alexander Smyth Jan 17, 1825, and Thomas Jefferson, Passionate Pilgrim by Alf Mapp Jr., pp. 246 (1991, Madison Books, Lanham, MD) quoting letter by TJ to John Adams, July 5, 1814. it is generally accepted by historians that thomas jefferson was mostly a deist and used many deism ideas in writing the dec. of independence.

John Adams, the country's second president, was drawn to the study of law but faced pressure from his father to become a clergyman. He wrote that he found among the lawyers 'noble and gallant achievments" but among the clergy, the "pretended sanctity of some absolute dunces". Late in life he wrote: "Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!"

It was during Adam's administration that the Senate ratified the Treaty of Peace and Friendship, which states in Article XI that "the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."
The Character of John Adams by Peter Shaw, pp. 17 (1976, North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC) Quoting a letter by JA to Charles Cushing Oct 19, 1756, and John Adams, A Biography in his Own Words, edited by James Peabody, p. 403 (1973, Newsweek, New York NY) Quoting letter by JA to Jefferson April 19, 1817, and in reference to the treaty, Thomas Jefferson, Passionate Pilgrim by Alf Mapp Jr., pp. 311 (1991, Madison Books, Lanham, MD) quoting letter by TJ to Dr. Benjamin Waterhouse, June, 1814.

while there is no evidence that george was a deist, there is evidence he was not a christian
George Washington, the first president of the United States, never declared himself a Christian according to contemporary reports or in any of his voluminous correspondence. Washington Championed the cause of freedom from religious intolerance and compulsion. When John Murray (a universalist who denied the existence of hell) was invited to become an army chaplain, the other chaplains petitioned Washington for his dismissal. Instead, Washington gave him the appointment. On his deathbed, Washinton uttered no words of a religious nature and did not call for a clergyman to be in attendance.
George Washington and Religion by Paul F. Boller Jr., pp. 16, 87, 88, 108, 113, 121, 127 (1963, Southern Methodist University Press, Dallas, TX)

Thomas Paine was a pamphleteer whose manifestos encouraged the faltering spirits of the country and aided materially in winning the war of Independence:
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."
The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, pp. 8,9 (Republished 1984, Prometheus Books, Buffalo, NY)

There are just some, have fun reading, its quite interesting.

Satin... I've posted these before (#32) but I'll do it again for your benefit and for all the rest who have misconceptions of the piety of the Founding Fathers:

"One of the embarrassing problems for the early nineteenth-century champions of the Christian faith was that not one of the first six Presidents of the United States was an orthodox Christian."--The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1968, p. 420

“The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded upon the Christian religion” – John Adams – The Treaty of Tripoli

“Christianity neither is, nor ever was part of the Common Law”- Thomas Jefferson

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no gods."---
Both of those are quotes from personal writings of Thomas Jefferson.

"Say nothing of my religion. It is known to God and myself alone. Its evidence before the world is to be sought in my life: if it has been honest and dutiful to society the religion which has regulated it cannot be a bad one." - Thomas Jefferson

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." --John Adams

"Religion I found to be without any tendency to inspire, promote, or confirm morality, serves principally to divide us and make us unfriendly to one another."--Benjamin Franklin

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith." -- Thomas Jefferson

"...no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise.. affect their civil capacities."--Thomas Jefferson, Statute for Religious Freedom, 1779

"...our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry"--Thomas Jefferson, Statute for Religious Freedom, 1779

"I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another."--Thomas Jefferson to Elbridge Gerry, 1799

"(When) the (Virginia) bill for establishing religious freedom, the principles of which had, to a certain degree, been enacted before, I had drawn in all the latitude of reason & right. It still met with opposition; but, with some mutilations in the preamble, it was finally passed; and a singular proposition proved that it's protections of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantel of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindi and Infidel of every denomination."--Thomas Jefferson, from his autobiography, 1821

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded on fables and mythology."--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Short

"The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize [hu]mankind." -- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."--James Madison in a letter to Edward Livingston in 1822

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, not by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church."--Thomas Paine, from The Age of Reason

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it" John Adams

"Religions are all alike -- founded upon fables and mythologies" – Thomas Jefferson

Answer your question? (Thanks again MixedMedia!) What part don't you get?

26 X World Champs said:
Great post Contrarian! I think that pretty much puts an end to this thread! Can anyone dispute the absolute truth that we're NOT a Christian nation!

:bravo: :2usflag:
Oh, trust me people will dispute. To a few, twisting logic and facts are a main stay. Which, as I've said before, is why today we have greedy judgmental people trying to twist the words and teachings of Jesus to match their rhetoric.

Thanks guys, but I've posted these before and MixedMedia collaborated from some of her earlier posts. You're right Pac, that won't stop the blind ignorance and belief in idealized stories from their childhood. The Founding Fathers were smart enough to realize that certain people would take their personal religious beliefs and turn them into a political agenda. It's plain wrong when they threaten the freedom of Americans who believe differently, and even more insulting to the true believers who have had their religion hijacked to promote a political agenda.

The people who should be offended the most are those who hold their faith dear... they just don't get it.

Pacridge said:
Oh, trust me people will dispute. To a few, twisting logic and facts are a main stay. Which, as I've said before, is why today we have greedy judgmental people trying to twist the words and teachings of Jesus to match their rhetoric.
My only dispute is this..If I ever claimed this is a Christian nation, since I agree that technically it is not - our constitution protects our freedom of religion(or lack of religion) that I support, however our country and laws where based on Christian values. I think the only way you can call this country a Christian nation is the FACT that the majority of religions here are Christian. Muslim, Judaism, and others though welcomed are fewer.

Back
Top Bottom