• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Republicans Miss a Golden Opportunity?

Buckeyes85

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Unfortunately for republicans, their party is inexorably tied to Donald Trump. But that unhealthy alliance is doing nothing but bringing the party down. Trump will not help any republican win a seat not going to be won by a republican anyway, he will just help ensure the republican who does win is loyal to him. So a win for Trump; nothing for the party.

But here we have the January 6 investigation(s). An event that shocked many/most Americans. Obviously, the event involved a very small percentage of republicans and most, I would like to believe, would never do something so stupid. If anything, the events are a reflection on Trump since he staged an event that day, encouraged his most devoted followers to come to the Capitol, and had spent months fanning their passions with his unhinged rhetoric.

Wasn't this the perfect time for the Republican party to step back and let things play out? If it winds up Trump comes out of this so damaged that they can finally break free of him, wouldn't that have been a win? They don't have to oppose him or go against him and come under his wrath. Just get out of the way.

But instead, they've doubled down in an effort to shield him and to a lesser degree the republican party. And in so doing will wind up alienating even more Americans and further committing themselves to the sinking ship that is Donald Trump.

Opportunity lost? I think it was.

Yes, it was. There was no better time for the GOP to declare in one voice that there are better men and women to represent their ideals and values than Donald Trump—and for some of those people to rise to the occasion. Unfortunately as we all saw as far back as 2016, most of these politicians are spineless cowards capable of little more than taking a beating and asking for more. It is no surprise they doubled down on 45 out of fear.

This is why the GOP today is in such sorry state. If a politician can’t stand up for themselves (or in Ted Cruz’s case, his family), how can you trust them to stand up for you?

Unfortunately for republicans, their party is inexorably tied to Donald Trump. But that unhealthy alliance is doing nothing but bringing the party down. Trump will not help any republican win a seat not going to be won by a republican anyway, he will just help ensure the republican who does win is loyal to him. So a win for Trump; nothing for the party.

But here we have the January 6 investigation(s). An event that shocked many/most Americans. Obviously, the event involved a very small percentage of republicans and most, I would like to believe, would never do something so stupid. If anything, the events are a reflection on Trump since he staged an event that day, encouraged his most devoted followers to come to the Capitol, and had spent months fanning their passions with his unhinged rhetoric.

Wasn't this the perfect time for the Republican party to step back and let things play out? If it winds up Trump comes out of this so damaged that they can finally break free of him, wouldn't that have been a win? They don't have to oppose him or go against him and come under his wrath. Just get out of the way.

But instead, they've doubled down in an effort to shield him and to a lesser degree the republican party. And in so doing will wind up alienating even more Americans and further committing themselves to the sinking ship that is Donald Trump.

I take it the Republicans you support are the Republican Elites and globalists who have ****ed over their rank and file for decades. I'm not surprised a Liberal would have that attitude.

Sorry, but the Republican rank and file WANT to be tied to Trump. The Elites have to figure out how to answer to their rank and file now...not figure out how to get rid of Trump. I think they'll find both of those things is very hard to do. Their rank and file doesn't trust them anymore.

I take it the Republicans you support are the Republican Elites and globalists who have ****ed over their rank and file for decades. I'm not surprised a Liberal would have that attitude.

Sorry, but the Republican rank and file WANT to be tied to Trump. The Elites have to figure out how to answer to their rank and file now...not figure out how to get rid of Trump. I think they'll find both of those things is very hard to do. Their rank and file doesn't trust them anymore.
When was the last time you discussed a political issue without just regurgitating talking points like "elites" etc?

If the rank and file want to stay latched to Trump's teet, that's up to them. Merely pointing out I think this was the party's chance to save itself instead of choosing to go down with the ship. Hope the rank and file have life jackets.

I’m sure Trump isn’t what you call the average guy. His Golden toilet smacks of elite. He sure fooled you.

Yes, it was. There was no better time for the GOP to declare in one voice that there are better men and women to represent their ideals and values than Donald Trump—and for some of those people to rise to the occasion. Unfortunately as we all saw as far back as 2016, most of these politicians are spineless cowards capable of little more than taking a beating and asking for more. It is no surprise they doubled down on 45 out of fear.

This is why the GOP today is in such sorry state. If a politician can’t stand up for themselves (or in Ted Cruz’s case, his family), how can you trust them to stand up for you?
Perhaps, but my point was this may have been their chance to let him be kicked to the curb without overtly going against him and his faithful flock.

When was the last time you discussed a political issue without just regurgitating talking points like "elites" etc?

If the rank and file want to stay latched to Trump's teet, that's up to them. Merely pointing out I think this was the party's chance to save itself instead of choosing to go down with the ship. Hope the rank and file have life jackets.
shrug...

Whether you like it or not, "Elites" are a fact of Party life...even in the Dem Party. Unlike the Dem rank and file, the Republican rank and file are sick and tired of their Elites. That's the way it goes and your "suggestions" don't mean jack shit to them. To them, they are saving their Party from the Elites.

The ship isn't going down...rather, more and more of the Elites will jump ship or be forced to walk the plank.

I’m sure Trump isn’t what you call the average guy. His Golden toilet smacks of elite. He sure fooled you.
I'm sure you have no idea of the concept of "Party Elite".

Money has nothing to do with it...except as a goal.

shrug...

Whether you like it or not, "Elites" are a fact of Party life...even in the Dem Party. Unlike the Dem rank and file, the Republican rank and file are sick and tired of their Elites. That's the way it goes and your "suggestions" don't mean jack shit to them. To them, they are saving their Party from the Elites.

The ship isn't going down...rather, more and more of the Elites will jump ship or be forced to walk the plank.
While you could be right, it is pretty difficult to reconcile that mindset with your party electing a guy whose life has been spent reveling/wallowing and constantly bragging about his elite status. In fact, it is a flat out contradiction in terms.

Kids grab your gas masks and Bear spray we are off to the Capitol for a tour.

Some worshipers took Trump's bait, hook, line, and sinker . . .and don't even know it. 🤡

They always know it. They do not always have a great fact check meter.

Another expression people say is "Do not bite the hand that feeds you."

Last edited:
While you could be right, it is pretty difficult to reconcile that mindset with your party electing a guy whose life has been spent reveling/wallowing and constantly bragging about his elite status. In fact, it is a flat out contradiction in terms.
You should know by now that I don't have a party. You, of course, can say what you want about Republicans, but I am not a Republican so your attempts at insulting me by insulting them are failures.

All you'll get for these failures is this:

You are dismissed.

I have a different take.
If it's true that Dems think Trump can't win in 24, why would they want to keep going after him with one investigation after another? If they thought it helped them for Trump to run and they're sure Biden would win against him, why would they be so stuck on going after Trump (I'd argue it's the Dems who just can't let Trump go!!!!)?
For the sake of this discussion, let's say the Dems successfully take Trump down. Then, you'll likely have DeSantis against Biden. Is that what Dems want?

It's the fourth golden opportunity they missed, at least. Both impeachments, the election loss, AND the 1/6 investigation.

You should know by now that I don't have a party. You, of course, can say what you want about Republicans, but I am not a Republican so your attempts at insulting me by insulting them are failures.

All you'll get for these failures is this:

You are dismissed.

See how they 'go there" every single time?

If it's true that Dems think Trump can't win in 24, why would they want to keep going after him with one investigation after another? If they thought it helped them for Trump to run and they're sure Biden would win against him, why would they be so stuck on going after Trump (
The investigation into what happened on Jan 6th has little to do with Trump running in '24. It is about getting at the truth about what happened that day and the days preceding. If there is a political motive, and there likely is at least in part, it is to expose the Republicans in the party for what they have become and what attacks against democracy they are willing to support. The fact that an entire party, in a two party system, has abandoned their principles, integrity and values to kneel at the feet of one man must be exposed. Trump is the danger, but not because there is a worry he will run again, he won't.

shrug...

Leaving the GOP with even fewer members. They are already down to 24% of the Electorate affiliated with the GOP, Indies at 44% and DEM's at 30%. At some point Trump will have 100% support within the GOP. Unfortunately the GOP will be 3 radical Insurrectionists, 2 Q Anon devotees and a ham sandwich. Good luck with that.

17 Republican Senators just jumped ship on Donnie on the Infrastructure Bill Debate Vote. Actually it would have been 18 if Sen Rounds had been in DC. THAT in the face of threats from Donnie. I am thinking Donnie threw his rattles this morning and spoiled his diapers AGAIN. Meadows has the Trump Bunker cleanup duty. Hope you enjoy it Mark. McConnell is going to survive Donnie. McCarthy is going to go down with the Trump Party boat

Add insult to injury, the TX special election for the vacant House seat NOT WON by the candidate that got Donnie's endorsement.

Whats funny is, I have republican friends that were talking about this very thing .. . they feel the same way that it would be an opportunity to create distance and cut loose the extremists . . so many of them are pissed and declaring themselves either independents of saying things like Im a conservative not a trump supporter

I have a different take.
If it's true that Dems think Trump can't win in 24, why would they want to keep going after him with one investigation after another? If they thought it helped them for Trump to run and they're sure Biden would win against him, why would they be so stuck on going after Trump (I'd argue it's the Dems who just can't let Trump go!!!!)?
For the sake of this discussion, let's say the Dems successfully take Trump down. Then, you'll likely have DeSantis against Biden. Is that what Dems want?
I doubt you believe it but I really don't care if this investigation winds up dinging Trump more or not. I would like to get all the facts out as best as possible as this event certainly is worthy of investigating.
And as for Trump in 2024, I'd be happy for him to run again as I know he is the one republican on the planet that cannot and will not win.
The thread is not about what is best for the dems in 2024 but what might be best for the republican party going forward. Just my 2 cents but he has already drug the party down and will continue to do so. This may have been a good chance for the party to start putting some distance on him. They chose, emphatically, not to do so.

I have a different take.

While im not a democrat this is a VERY easy question to answer

there are people that care about their COUNTRY more than party and thats why they want trump out. Its more important that politics improve and we the people benefit than scheming and scamming for "their side" to win . . . they'd rather have america win regardless of "side"

Not surprising though that concept is confusing to you, many republicans feel the exact same way, country over party and they want trump gone 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps, but my point was this may have been their chance to let him be kicked to the curb without overtly going against him and his faithful flock.
you see it as the GOP giving in to Trump and his side

I see it as not giving in to the democrats

it is almost like the 2016 election all over again

two shit choices...neither worth a damn

Jan 6th happened....most people with a brain understand that

what people disagree with, is exactly what happened, and IF Trump or anyone in the GOP was involved

The circus happening in the house is for political power...nothing more

This is about the 2022 elections and Nancy trying to sway voters away from the historical losses likely to occur

I dont blame her, but i cant condone it....and with the FBI unable to link any GOP to any of the assailants so far even offering deals, i wonder if there is anything remotely tying anyone in power to the idiots who attacked the capitol

just my two cents....

you see it as the GOP giving in to Trump and his side

I see it as not giving in to the democrats

it is almost like the 2016 election all over again

two shit choices...neither worth a damn

Jan 6th happened....most people with a brain understand that

what people disagree with, is exactly what happened, and IF Trump or anyone in the GOP was involved

The circus happening in the house is for political power...nothing more

This is about the 2022 elections and Nancy trying to sway voters away from the historical losses likely to occur

I dont blame her, but i cant condone it....and with the FBI unable to link any GOP to any of the assailants so far even offering deals, i wonder if there is anything remotely tying anyone in power to the idiots who attacked the capitol

just my two cents....
Somewhat at a loss how you wonder if there is anything "remotely" tying anyone in power to 1/6. That is beyond question. None of them would have been there if but for Trump's clown show scheduled for the same day and his repeated selling of the lie about a stolen election and that his followers needed to stop the steal. That he and his cronies got them all fired up in the preceding months that led to the attack is again, beyond question.

If instead the question becomes did any of them directly cause the attack, as in plan it, orchestrate it, ask for it, etc. That is a whole different matter and I don't expect there to be any evidence that someone at a higher level coordinated the attack on the capitol. But that doesn't mean the events of 1/6 are unworthy of a congressional investigation. In fact, if an attack by Americans on congress itself is not worthy of their investigative powers, what is?

Back
Top Bottom