• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did President Obama mastermind Putin's push for diplomacy?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

That's what a friend of mine on Facebook says. This person says that Obama's supposed push for strikes was really all part of a plan to fool Putin to push for diplomatic actions that he (Obama) would have brought, but would have been ridiculed for. Fooling Putin into proposing them also fooled his (Obama's) detractors into embracing them. Basically, Obama pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Your thoughts?

That's what a friend of mine on Facebook says. This person says that Obama's supposed push for strikes was really all part of a plan to fool Putin to push for diplomatic actions that he (Obama) would have brought, but would have been ridiculed for. Fooling Putin into proposing them also fooled his (Obama's) detractors into embracing them. Basically, Obama pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Your thoughts?

Believe nothing that you read and only half of what you see with your own lyin' eyes. The spin doctors are at work. Your friend didn't invent that spin. It's all over the place in one form or another.

Edit: IMO, our country's leadership has been mightily embarrassed.

Your thoughts?
No, I think he played right in to Putins and Assads hands.

Your thoughts?

I think your friend is attributing to Obama a level of cunning and deviousness that he does not possess.

Believe nothing that you read and only half of what you see with your own lyin' eyes. The spin doctors are at work. Your friend didn't invent that spin. It's all over the place in one form or another.

Oh, I know, and I agree. It was extremely difficult to post that and try to remain neutral in my wording.

For the record, my thoughts are a combination between :roll:, :doh, and :lamo.

Your thoughts?

That is the most idiotic and stupid conspiracy I have ever heard.

Everyone knows that Obama called up the space aliens and had Putin Labotomized and implanted a diplomatic message into his to say those things. :mrgreen:

Your thoughts?

Does anyone other than Obama and Putin know the contents of their conversation at the G20 summit?
I'm of he opinion that Putin did not save he day; Obama did.

No, I think he played right in to Putins and Assads hands.

So, if factual Obama has proved himself to be a weak and waffling world leader. That is a green light for the Iranians the NKs and whoever has world ambitions to go ahead and do what they want without fear of the US doing anything about it. The muslim terrorists are right, the fabric of the US is in decline and has been so for a long time.

Obama could have saved the day if he said "Ok I need to sit down with the rebel leader and Assad to talk about these weapons".

No, instead he went off half-cocked, blamed Assad right away, threatened military strikes and in no way was being diplomatic or professional.

No, Obama didn't save the day. He was just lucky Putin wants Syria as an ally and had some play to make it happen. Obama tried to bluff, got called on it, and now without support in Congress looks weak.

So, if factual Obama has proved himself to be a weak and waffling world leader. That is a green light for the Iranians the NKs and whoever has world ambitions to go ahead and do what they want without fear of the US doing anything about it. The muslim terrorists are right, the fabric of the US is in decline and has been so for a long time.

An intelligent man with a high functioning brain vs. a hot head will always come out the winner.

Does anyone other than Obama and Putin know the contents of their conversation at the G20 summit?

That is the strangest logic I have ever heard. "You can't know because you weren't there so I am right even though I wasn't there either"

It started with Kerry's slip of the tongue when in the UK, doing the rounds. Putin has ceased the oppourtunity to protect an ally, nothing more complicated than that. What it does do is make it near on impossible for any future action. A home goal of epic proportion, for those in support of military action.

Paul

That is the strangest logic I have ever heard. "You can't know because you weren't there so I am right even though I wasn't there either"

Of course you're right. Aren't you always?

My Grand dad always told us. Believe nothing you read or hear and half what you see.

An intelligent man with a high functioning brain vs. a hot head will always come out the winner.

Word. That high functioning brain is how Putin has remained in control even when he was officially not in control.

The administration is out of control and definatly out of sync.
You got Obama saying strike.
You got Kerry saying little strike.
McCain wants total war.
Putin is interjecting his 2 cents in US news papers.
Assad is sitting back laughing his ass off at us.
Iran is thinking, "hey, the US aint so tough after all".

Word. That high functioning brain is how Putin has remained in control even when he was officially not in control.

A high functioning brain, I believe, seeks solutions in a honest way. Putin, as I'm sure you are aware, has poisoned people to keep his status. Why would a man of his stature need to imprison ***** Riot, a group of innocent women? Deep down, I believe, he's just as afraid as everyone else, but the difference is he's a bully who has to feed his super-ego at the expense of others.
He doesn't want a war with Obama because he knows the U.S. military is the best in the world, and he has zero control over them.

Can you expand on how you come to your conclusion?

Obama is intelligent, sure. And while Putin is nothing more than a common thug, he also has "street smarts", which should not be discounted. Can you provide something beyond, "I don't know what they talked about, so my guy is the victor... he just has to be."?

Your thoughts?

honestly, i don't know. was Kerry's remark "off the cuff?" with international alliances and proxy wars on the table, i doubt Kerry would just **** around and toss out a potential solution without getting it cleared.

the whole thing does have an air of planning to it. and you know what? that's fine for two reasons :

1. this is not our responsibility. it is the responsibility of Saudi Arabia as the regional hegemon, and it's also on Russia for propping this asshole up and giving him the weapons. SA is on us hard to act, and won't do it themselves. if we act and (once again) allow them to abdicate their duty, they get the best of both worlds : doing nothing, and reaping the huge oil profits when the instability pushes the price to the moon. now it's on them, as it should be.

2. if you're going to be world police, you can't just do a surgical strike of a couple military sites, because it will do nothing other than to drag us in deeper. you have to go all out. it's time for us to stop doing this. the rest of the world is not paying us, the UN security council is nearly useless because of vetoes, and one half of the duopoly which runs the US absolutely refuses to raise taxes for war. so, we'd be borrowing from China (Syria's ally) to go and do Saudi Arabia's job.

we can't afford to do this anymore. we need to go back to being a country.

Obama is intelligent, sure. And while Putin is nothing more than a common thug, he also has "street smarts", which should not be discounted. Can you provide something beyond, "I don't know what they talked about, so my guy is the victor... he just has to be."?

Who's your guy?

honestly, i don't know. was Kerry's remark "off the cuff?" with international alliances and proxy wars on the table, i doubt Kerry would just **** around and toss out a potential solution without getting it cleared.

the whole thing does have an air of planning to it. and you know what? that's fine for two reasons :

1. this is not our responsibility. it is the responsibility of Saudi Arabia as the regional hegemon, and it's also on Russia for propping this asshole up and giving him the weapons. SA is on us hard to act, and won't do it themselves. if we act and (once again) allow them to abdicate their duty, they get the best of both worlds : doing nothing, and reaping the huge oil profits when the instability pushes the price to the moon. now it's on them, as it should be.

2. if you're going to be world police, you can't just do a surgical strike of a couple military sites, because it will do nothing other than to drag us in deeper. you have to go all out. it's time for us to stop doing this. the rest of the world is not paying us, the UN security council is nearly useless because of vetoes, and one half of the duopoly which runs the US absolutely refuses to raise taxes for war. so, we'd be borrowing from China (Syria's ally) to go and do Saudi Arabia's job.

we can't afford to do this anymore. we need to go back to being a country.
Agree with this, and is part of the reason I am reluctant to do them at all. If we remember correctly, Clinton's targeted strikes after each attack in the 90s worked oh-so-well.

No, all they did was give us the forum to claim victory and then pretend it never happened.

Who's your guy?

Why are you avoiding the question? Here, I'll repost it so it doesn't get lost...

Note: "My guy" being your guy, just in case you need it spelled out.

Back
Top Bottom