• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did President Obama mastermind Putin's push for diplomacy?

That's what a friend of mine on Facebook says. This person says that Obama's supposed push for strikes was really all part of a plan to fool Putin to push for diplomatic actions that he (Obama) would have brought, but would have been ridiculed for. Fooling Putin into proposing them also fooled his (Obama's) detractors into embracing them. Basically, Obama pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Your thoughts?

I think if he was going to mastermind such a thing, he would've been smart enough to have enough influential Congresscritters already on board that it would look like a sure thing -- rather than something that is being tepidly batted around like an old cat with a skanky ball of yarn.

That's what a friend of mine on Facebook says. This person says that Obama's supposed push for strikes was really all part of a plan to fool Putin to push for diplomatic actions that he (Obama) would have brought, but would have been ridiculed for. Fooling Putin into proposing them also fooled his (Obama's) detractors into embracing them. Basically, Obama pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Your thoughts?

This is a joke, right? Obama does not have the intelligence to pull off such a scheme. The only group Obama has managed to fool is group that voted for him. He has managed to ignore history and is now doomed to repeat it. The US will now fund and support factions of Al-Qaeda, in much the same way that let Bin Ladin loose on the US. He has also managed to re-institute the cold war with Putin, who will be supplying arms and support to Assad.

Kerry (a.k.a. Guy Smiley) is so out of touch with what a Sec. Of State should be doing, it's past being funny. Here is a guy who denounced the military, tossed his (undeserved) medals over the White House fence taking crap about how we need to implement this limited, do nothing military action.

And I didn't think any president could be worse than Carter. Oh well... :doh

Your thoughts?

Mornin' Radcen. :2wave: Negative.....Even Obama's Own Words Betray him.

"We've kind of hit a wall," President Barack Obama commented last week on his way to Russia. He meant his relationship with Moscow, but the remark came to apply as well to other leaders abroad, lawmakers at home and Americans at large, all standing in the way of what he wanted to do about Syria, which was to attack it.

Just days later, military action is on hold, a diplomatic effort to have Syria turn over its chemical weapons has some steam and Obama no longer looks so terribly alone. The potential way out took shape with an episode akin to palace intrigue: Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin pulling up chairs in a corner of a stately room at the summer home of Peter the Great, after a very late night of fireworks and lasers etching the St. Petersburg sky. And it grew from there

With plenty of U.S.-Russian tensions simmering — over Syria, Moscow's sheltering of former NSA leaker Edward Snowden and more — Obama decided there would be no formal one-on-one with Putin. But the Russian leader, the Syrian government's leading patron on the world stage, approached him Friday and they pulled chairs together off to the side.....snip~

How the Syria plan broke through, just in time

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...72483-syria-plan-broke-through-just-time.html

Obama's a very smart guy in the usual sense of the word. But he doesn't cross me as that sort of cunning, never has. I think your friend's words are just extremely wishful thinking.

Why are you avoiding the question? Here, I'll repost it so it doesn't get lost...

Can you expand on how you come to your conclusion?

Obama is intelligent, sure. And while Putin is nothing more than a common thug, he also has "street smarts", which should not be discounted. Can you provide something beyond, "I don't know what they talked about, so my guy is the victor... he just has to be."?

Note: "My guy" being your guy, just in case you need it spelled out.

I'll assume Putin is your guy and your hero.
We see the public side of our President, who always displays grace under fire, but only a few have seen his personal intolerance for inhumanness.
Putin may think himself to be unconquerable, but when push comes to shove, he shakes in his pink panties because he knows the U.S. military combined with the Israeli defense forces would take him out.
Putin is rich and powerful among those he can bully, but I, for one, do not believe for one nanosecond that he can bully America, and he knows it.

Does anyone other than Obama and Putin know the contents of their conversation at the G20 summit?
I'm of he opinion that Putin did not save he day; Obama did.

Mornin Lolabird.
hat.gif
You don't think that when Obama decided that he would not meet with Putin at the G20. Kinda tells the true story? Do you think it is difficult to come up with any sort of ideas with another. If one doesn't plan on talking to them?

With plenty of U.S.-Russian tensions simmering — over Syria, Moscow's sheltering of former NSA leaker Edward Snowden and more — Obama decided there would be no formal one-on-one with Putin. But the Russian leader, the Syrian government's leading patron on the world stage, approached him Friday and they pulled chairs together off to the side.

Flanked only by interpreters, with other leaders looking on, they launched into a 20-minute discussion about Syria. There was no breakthrough on one vexing aspect of their disagreement — the future of Syrian President Bashar Assad. However, Putin broached an idea that the two leaders had first discussed a year ago at the G-20 summit in Mexico — an international agreement to secure Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles.....snip~

It would appear Obama was backing up the First Team. As unfortunate as it is.....the facts nor even the Signs are on Obama's side.

Your thoughts?

if Obama played the bad cop good cop routine he did it at the expense of his and Americas reputation.

Your thoughts?

Well, I said the very same thing on this very website not too long ago. Played like a fiddle, indeed. Crazy like a fox, he is. If true, it's pure genius.

if Obama played the bad cop good cop routine he did it at the expense of his and Americas reputation.

I'm an American and I don't feel my reputation has been harmed at all. But, then again, I think all that John Wayne American bravado is a bunch of crap to begin with.

The world knows that the U.S.A. is the baddest ass nation on the planet no matter what the talking point of the day is. I do not need other nations to cower in fear at the mention of our name. That don't mean squat to me. It's enough for me to know that they know who the big dog is. If we have to pretend to be humble or cerebral to get what we need so be it.

Obama's a very smart guy in the usual sense of the word. But he doesn't cross me as that sort of cunning, never has. I think your friend's words are just extremely wishful thinking.
Excellent answer. President Obama is a very intelligent man. I will never claim otherwise. But, cunning or street smarts he does not have. (I don't have cunning, either, fwiw.)

I also think you hit the nail on the head regarding my friend.

We see the public side of our President, who always displays grace under fire, but only a few have seen his personal intolerance for inhumanness.
Putin may think himself to be unconquerable, but when push comes to shove, he shakes in his pink panties because he knows the U.S. military combined with the Israeli defense forces would take him out.
Putin is rich and powerful among those he can bully, but I, for one, do not believe for one nanosecond that he can bully America, and he knows it.
You are correct in that you assume. You are incorrect in your conclusion.

Be that as it may, my question to you had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me and what I believe or who I respect or don't respect. The question dealt solely with you and your somewhat cryptic statement, and I was merely seeking clarification.

Your answer here still doesn't contain any substance, but in a sense you did answer and provide clarification... essentially, you believe this because you want to. That's pretty much it.

It started with Kerry's slip of the tongue when in the UK, doing the rounds. Putin has ceased the oppourtunity to protect an ally, nothing more complicated than that. What it does do is make it near on impossible for any future action. A home goal of epic proportion, for those in support of military action.

Paul

Mornin Gunner :2wave: .....you are correct. Plus Kerry was playing to the camera. Then left thinking he was the man of the Hour. Until he got that call from his Russian Counterpart. ;)

Since early in the crisis, and until Obama stepped up, Kerry had been the main figure pitching the Syrian strategy. To lawmakers, in speeches and at news conferences, he spoke passionately and sometimes misspoke. At one point, he even seemed to hold out a last-resort option of ground troops in Syria, in the face of numbingly repetitive assurances by U.S. officials of no-boots-on-the-ground. This time, he swerved verbally in the other direction, stating U.S. action against Syria would be "unbelievably small," raising questions about why bother.

When Kerry was asked if Assad could do anything to avoid an attack, he uttered 20 words that set off a rapid chain of events.

"Sure," he said. "He can turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week."

He raised both arms for emphasis and continued: "Turn it over, all of it, without delay, and allow a full and total accounting for that. But he isn't about to do it, and it can't be done, obviously."

On the flight home, Kerry, now in a faded orange zip-up sweatshirt, spoke on the phone with Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister. Lavrov told Kerry he had heard his comments in London and Russia was getting ready to make an announcement.

By the time Kerry landed in the U.S., Russia had made its proposal to place Syrian chemical weapons out of Assad's control, Syria had welcomed the idea, other nations and the United Nations had embraced it in principle, and some members of Congress were beginning to see a possible way out of the jam. Kerry's staff initially suggested that the secretary's words were merely a rhetorical flourish. But by the end of the day, though expressing deep skepticism, Obama declared the Russian pitch "potentially a significant breakthrough" that could head off U.S. air strikes.....snip~

I luv the part where Kerry was chilling out and thinking of his good time home. Then that call came in. Then by the time he landed.....he then knew Obama sold him out. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm an American and I don't feel my reputation has been harmed at all. But, then again, I think all that John Wayne American bravado is a bunch of crap to begin with.

The world knows that the U.S.A. is the baddest ass nation on the planet no matter what the talking point of the day is. I do not need other nations to cower in fear at the mention of our name. That don't mean squat to me. It's enough for me to know that they know who the big dog is. If we have to pretend to be humble or cerebral to get what we need so be it.

Only reason the reputation of the American public might not have been damaged because we where against any military action It was Obamas reputation that was destroyed with him trying to save face with his red line statement he was so quick with threats with no attempt of a diplomatic solution all it did was confirm to the world that the American government is nothing but bullies and Russia the peaceful reasonable nation

Last edited:
Word. That high functioning brain is how Putin has remained in control even when he was officially not in control.

Mornin' Fisher. :2wave: Yeah.....that Pouting kid that was sitting in the back of the class. Aint that what Obama Said? Guess now Obama figured out. He was just visiting as an Observer. :lamo

Obama is cunning in a certain arena but foreign policy is not it ... anyone who thinks Obama was playing the Bobby Fisher role here thinking many moves ahead is desperate to save their guy.
Now ... if you say Obama started this as a distraction from his other failures then we have something to talk about.

The administration is out of control and definatly out of sync.
You got Obama saying strike.
You got Kerry saying little strike.
McCain wants total war.
Putin is interjecting his 2 cents in US news papers.
Assad is sitting back laughing his ass off at us.
Iran is thinking, "hey, the US aint so tough after all".

Heya Crue. :2wave: You got that Right.....Johnny Quest McCain is livid now that the Rebels/Terrorists aren't getting any extra help. Both he and Graham Crackers are the Front men for the Neo Cons. Both want to push things towards Iran while trying to help those Rebel/ Terrorists. Both exist as nothing but a Problem for the American people now. Along with Team Obama. Time to send all of these types out to pasture. Chewing the Cow Goomi is all that is left and appropriate for them. So that the only time we should get to see their Lips moving. Is while they chew some cud.
mad.gif

You can throw Corker's ass in there too.

Mornin Gunner :2wave: .....you are correct. Plus Kerry was playing to the camera. Then left thinking he was the man of the Hour. Until he got that call from his Russian Counterpart. ;)

Since early in the crisis, and until Obama stepped up, Kerry had been the main figure pitching the Syrian strategy. To lawmakers, in speeches and at news conferences, he spoke passionately and sometimes misspoke. At one point, he even seemed to hold out a last-resort option of ground troops in Syria, in the face of numbingly repetitive assurances by U.S. officials of no-boots-on-the-ground. This time, he swerved verbally in the other direction, stating U.S. action against Syria would be "unbelievably small," raising questions about why bother.

When Kerry was asked if Assad could do anything to avoid an attack, he uttered 20 words that set off a rapid chain of events.

"Sure," he said. "He can turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week."

He raised both arms for emphasis and continued: "Turn it over, all of it, without delay, and allow a full and total accounting for that. But he isn't about to do it, and it can't be done, obviously."

On the flight home, Kerry, now in a faded orange zip-up sweatshirt, spoke on the phone with Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister. Lavrov told Kerry he had heard his comments in London and Russia was getting ready to make an announcement.

By the time Kerry landed in the U.S., Russia had made its proposal to place Syrian chemical weapons out of Assad's control, Syria had welcomed the idea, other nations and the United Nations had embraced it in principle, and some members of Congress were beginning to see a possible way out of the jam. Kerry's staff initially suggested that the secretary's words were merely a rhetorical flourish. But by the end of the day, though expressing deep skepticism, Obama declared the Russian pitch "potentially a significant breakthrough" that could head off U.S. air strikes.....snip~

I luv the part where Kerry was chilling out and thinking of his good time home. Then that call came in. Then by the time he landed.....he then knew Obama sold him out. :lol:

you left off the part where the WH and the State Dept called Kerrys statement about Assad turning over his chemical weapons as an off the cuff gaff it wasn't the administrations position and Kerry attemted to walk it back

Now that Putin has warned against US action in Syria and Congress doesn't approve & Obama doesn't do it on his own, Putin can make believe they listened to him.
But I must say I'm anxious to see a strike that is both unbelievably small and not a pin prick.

Meanwhile Putin's looking stronger as he continues to build his influence in the M.E.

What'll happen if Iran's nukes become the focus and Obama's still around... now THAT's scary.

Yeah he was shaking so much.....that yesterday Russia announced they would send modified S300's to Iran. Then just to get the West hot around the collar. He then stated that Russia would help Iran build a 2nd Nuclear Reactor. :shock:

Looks like those shakes come from the Uncontrolled laughing bursts he has lately. :roll:

Your thoughts?

Your friend is stupid. BHO has allowed Putin to present a scenario in which Putin gets credit for success while BHO takes the blame for failure, and along the way puts Putin in command of US foreign policy.:roll:

Last edited:
you left off the part where the WH and the State Dept called Kerrys statement about Assad turning over his chemical weapons as an off the cuff gaff it wasn't the administrations position and Kerry attemted to walk it back

Heya Trf :2wave: .....you don't think I would leave the Obamatons any room to deflect and go tangential now, do ya? :mrgreen:

Kerry's staff initially suggested that the secretary's words were merely a rhetorical flourish. But by the end of the day, though expressing deep skepticism, Obama declared the Russian pitch "potentially a significant breakthrough" that could head off U.S. air strikes.....snip~

;)

Your friend is stupid. BHO has allowed Putin to present a scenario in which Putin gets credit for success while BHO takes the blame for failure, and along the way put Putin in command of US foreign policy.:roll:

Says it all.

Your friend is stupid. BHO has allowed Putin to present a scenario in which Putin gets credit for success while BHO takes the blame for failure, and along the way put Putin in command of US foreign policy.:roll:

It's now official! Anything can and will be spun, and some will believe it, no matter how absurd it is! :shrug: :beam:

Obama is cunning in a certain arena but foreign policy is not it ... anyone who thinks Obama was playing the Bobby Fisher role here thinking many moves ahead is desperate to save their guy.
Now ... if you say Obama started this as a distraction from his other failures then we have something to talk about.

Well, I have a feeling that anything that brings down President Obama you would be interested in talking about but I digress.

Obama is not "my guy," but I can tell you now that I am not as desperate to "save" Obama as you are to defame him. I say let the cards fall where they may because it is what it is. No more, no less. If he screws up, he deserves the flack. If he does well, he deserves that credit. Some folks can't accept having it both ways.

I felt from the get-go Obama was playing his cards close to the vest. First and foremost, Obama is not a warmonger. His bad cop act with Syria did not fool me. I was wondering how he thought it would fool anyone but apparently it did since Syria is now willing to give up the poison gas they said they never possessed in the first place. Second, even when Obama is on TV pushing to "attack," Syria, his acting skills are lacking. I don't believe him for one second. It is so out of character for him. That's something we'd expect from Bush or Cheney or McCain or a handful of other war loving neo-cons. It's all an Obama act. And, as I said, he's not even a good actor. I can't believe Putin and Syria, or anyone for that matter, is falling for it. But it seems to be working. It seems to be getting very positive results. So, for that, I gotta give the POTUS credit. I know that makes the Obama hater's heads want to explode but it is what it is.

Yeah he was shaking so much.....that yesterday Russia announced they would send modified S300's to Iran. Then just to get the West hot around the collar. He then stated that Russia would help Iran build a 2nd Nuclear Reactor. :shock:

Looks like those shakes come from the Uncontrolled laughing bursts he has lately. :roll:

Only an arrogant idiot would do what you are proffering.

Only an arrogant idiot would do what you are proffering.

Looks like the Whole Country of Arrogant Idiots didn't waste any time, now.....Did they? Course it comes now due to that Sign of Weakness that was perceived by Russia. :roll:

MOSCOW, Sept. 11 (UPI) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin Wednesday ordered the shipment of five S300VM Antey-2500 surface-to-air missile defense systems to Iran.

Putin ordered officials to prepare to ship the missile systems to the Islamic Republic, saying in exchange he expects Iran to cancel its $4 billion lawsuit against Russia, the Russian website Vestnikkavkasa.net reported.

Putin also said Russia will go ahead with a deal to build a second nuclear power station in Bushehr in Iran, the site noted. Putin will discuss both issues in his upcoming visit to Iran on Friday, the website said.

The Kuwaiti newspaper al Rai reported Tuesday that Russia recently transferred a number of advanced S-300 missile defense batteries to Syria. The report said since Aug. 21, when hundreds of Syrian civilians were killed in a chemical weapons attack by the Syrian regime, Russia has accelerated shipments of arms to President Bashar Assad's regime.

Read more: Russian President Putin says 5 missile batteries to be sent to Iran - UPI.com

Do you think some eastern philosophical saying about fools rush in....can mean something else when it comes to those Obama comprehensions and definitions?

Back
Top Bottom