• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Marissa Mayer Succeed at YAHOO?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
She was tasked to use the Alibaba money to put together a new Yahoo that would work after many many years of Yahoo not working, what she did was buy a lot of stuff spending a lot of money to put together a Yahoo that still did not work. But she sold the core business for almost $5 billion, a lot more than most people before now thought it was worth.

Marissa “Evita Breadsticks” Mayer has been to hell and back but, by gum, she has capitulated to raging shareholders pushed forward and is now poised to pull off a massive deal by offloading the charred remains of Yahoo for a nice round figure. But since this is Marissa Mayer selling Yahoo, what exactly is Verizon buying?

The deal doesn’t include the company’s patents at this stage, the person said. While other assets including Yahoo’s real estate were also on the block, it could not immediately be learned if they are part of the deal.

So, no patents, no Alibaba stock, no Yahoo Japan, but you do get land? This is a new kind of tech deal.
Reports: Marissa Mayer Thisclose To Getting Verizon To Pay $5B For What’s Left Of Yahoo | Dealbreaker

Is that a win?

I say no, because she did not get the job done that she was brought in to do, getting the stockholders more money in a sale than they expected goes into the "it could have been worse" category.

What Say You?

IU remember watching one of my favourite business commentators say that "There is a great recruiter that every major Silicon Valley firm recruits from that trains great staff for free, it is called Yahoo."

IU remember watching one of my favourite business commentators say that "There is a great recruiter that every major Silicon Valley firm recruits from that trains great staff for free, it is called Yahoo."

If I were an employee who stuck around, who believed in Mayer and believed in Yahoo and wanted to build a new Yahoo that would last 20 years I would be pissed right about now. Verizon will surely axe a lot of people, and all that work did not do much for most of the people who did the work, though Meyer golden parachutes away with $40-60 million for failing depending upon who is doing the numbers right.

If I were an employee who stuck around, who believed in Mayer and believed in Yahoo and wanted to build a new Yahoo that would last 20 years I would be pissed right about now. Verizon will surely axe a lot of people, and all that work did not do much for most of the people who did the work, though Meyer golden parachutes away with $40-60 million for failing depending upon who is doing the numbers right.

Or as we like to call it in the US of A, business as usual.

Shareholders worried that Yahoo management would eventually squander this windfall to prop up Yahoo’s declining internet businesses. The problem was that if Yahoo sold off the shares and gave the money to shareholders, it would trigger a massive tax bill. So instead of selling the Alibaba shares, Mayer was forced to sell the rest of the company, effectively putting herself out of a job.

It’s a humiliating end for Mayer, a Google veteran who joined Yahoo in 2012. Her turnaround effort didn’t work, and now Yahoo will be folded in with AOL, another struggling internet brand that was acquired by Verizon last year.
Verizon’s purchase of Yahoo, explained - Vox

I was reading that her total haul for 4 years of failed work will be almost $220 million.

This is why Trump is going to be the next President.

Marissa Mayer's payday: 4 years, $219 million - Jul. 25, 2016

Back
Top Bottom