• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did crime plummet after a wall was built in El Paso?

SonOfDaedalus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Surely, our president wouldn't lie to us, right?

• El Paso has never been “one of the most dangerous cities in the country.” The city had the third lowest violent crime rate among 35 U.S. cities with a population over 500,000 in 2005, 2006 and 2007 – before construction of a 57-mile-long fence started in mid-2008.
  • There was no “overnight” drop in violent crimes in El Paso after “a wall was put up.” In fact, the city’s violent crime rate increased 5.5 percent from 2007 to 2010 — the years before and after construction of the fence, which was completed in mid-2009.
  • Along with the rest of the country, El Paso’s violent crime rate spiked in the early 1990s and has been trending downward ever since. The city’s violent crime rate dropped 62 percent from its peak in 1993 to 2007, a year before construction on the fence began.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/01/trump-wrong-about-wall-effect-in-el-paso/

Do you really think it is both fair and appropriate to bring up actual facts when Trump makes emotional claims to placate his bigoted Trumpkins?

You would have been more convincing had you refrained from the use of insults.

Walking the walk is important.

Last edited:
I am fairly certain that Trump believes what he says re illegals and crime and that if we had a wall we would be able to do a much better job of controlling the drugs coming over the border. The problem is that some of what he believes is clearly wrong and he does not know it, and also that he is unable to formulate a better case. I do believe that a better case can be made, unfortunately almost all of power in America does not want a wall, so better minds dont attempt to make the argument regardless of where the truth is.

I am fairly certain that Trump believes what he says re illegals and crime and that if we had a wall we would be able to do a much better job of controlling the drugs coming over the border.

I sincerely doubt it.

I doubt he has ever taken the time to think about it at all. It's simple political to him. IMHO

I sincerely doubt it.

I doubt he has ever taken the time to think about it at all. It's simple political to him. IMHO

Trumps warped thinking on the subjects of crime and justice have long been obvious. I have no doubt that he believes that if we dont get busy building a wall now and get control of the border we will in not very many years be facing ruin, because global order is breaking down.

Juarez, once lauded for making significant progress in improving longstanding safety problems, has seen a dramatic sea-change back toward violence in 2018, especially during the summer months. June and July each ended with 177 killings. This weekend, more than 35 people were slain, including 11 on Friday — eight men and three women whose tortured bodies were found tied up. Some of the victims were mutilated.

It's the drug wars again. Internal conflicts within a leading cartel, an ongoing fight for the street market and competition for U.S. distribution routes, including Dallas, are spurring the violence.

Experts say the bloodshed also exposes the city's still weak civil society and democratic institutions, underscoring Juarez's reputation as an unruly city of inequalities
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mex...-mexicos-new-president-prepares-face-violence

We are currently using the "Hope and pray" plan to deal with the risk of migration of violence.

We need to do better.

I am fairly certain that Trump believes what he says re illegals and crime and that if we had a wall we would be able to do a much better job of controlling the drugs coming over the border. The problem is that some of what he believes is clearly wrong and he does not know it, and also that he is unable to formulate a better case. I do believe that a better case can be made, unfortunately almost all of power in America does not want a wall, so better minds dont attempt to make the argument regardless of where the truth is.

So I know you don't actually support Trump and I know you're only defending him for jollies, but isn't there a better way to maintain your flimsy cover than saying

"Trumps too stupid to make a better argument, and he's being let down because no one will make a better argument for him".

That is very bad work.

Yep, using something (again) that had already been proven to be BS was unwise. We could, however, test the "wall effect" by simply removing five miles of physical barriers on the border between Tijuana and San Diego to see what (if anything) happens. California seems to be the perfect place to conduct such an experiment.

I am not sure, but I think a lot of Americans probably believe as I do that building fences or walls around urban areas is not a bad idea. If they are already there, then pay to keep them up. I do not think building a wall from sea to shining sea is a good idea and there are better places to use the 25 billion dollars it will cost to build it. If Trump was smart he would go to the GOP people on the Committee looking at a solution and suggest just that. He can always tell his people that once that is done, he can go after the rest of his wall at a later time. The base will believe, but of course you have to get Coulter and Limbaugh to back off.

I am not sure, but I think a lot of Americans probably believe as I do that building fences or walls around urban areas is not a bad idea. If they are already there, then pay to keep them up. I do not think building a wall from sea to shining sea is a good idea and there are better places to use the 25 billion dollars it will cost to build it. If Trump was smart he would go to the GOP people on the Committee looking at a solution and suggest just that. He can always tell his people that once that is done, he can go after the rest of his wall at a later time. The base will believe, but of course you have to get Coulter and Limbaugh to back off.

Trump has already reduced his ask from 25 billion to 5 billion. He is no longer asking for a sea to shining sea wall, but just enough to satisfy the most urgent need as identified to him by the border patrol. That is a reasonable compromise.

Out of sight - out of mind is not exactly a great border security plan.

Yes we need to do better. However I think there are things that can be done that are more effective and possibly cheaper than a wall.

We need to have the will first, first we figure out that we are not a country if we dont secure the borders, then we figure out how to do it. We also need to figure out how to deal with visa overstays, which we have never really attempted.

The problem is that some of what he believes is clearly wrong and he does not know it, and also that he is unable to formulate a better case.

Is it really impossible for you to imagine that Trump simply lied. These speeches are rigorously fact checked. Trump was certainly told the truth. He simply doesn't think you're smart enough to figure out he's lying.

He's using deliberately planned misinformation as a political tool. There is a word for this tactic. Can you guess what that word is?

Is it really impossible for you to imagine that Trump simply lied. These speeches are rigorously fact checked. Trump was certainly told the truth. He simply doesn't think you're smart enough to figure out he's lying.

He's using deliberately planned misinformation as a political tool. There is a word for this tactic. Can you guess what that word is?

If you want someones attention telling them "YOU SUCK!" is a bad idea.

This has been another Life Lesson from Hawkeye

Great video.

A battling US and Russia benefits China. And the poster that you are replying too is far left, do the math.

Back
Top Bottom