• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Did Bush Sign Into Law a Bill That Was Not Passed by Congress?

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,255
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
The implications here are serious either way. If Bush knew that what he was signing was not the bill passed by Congress, then he violated the Constitution in a big way. If he signed the wrong bill accidentally, then this is one of the biggest screw ups in the history of our nation. Either way, a law is now on our books that is unconstitutional, and this will need to be rectified.

Article is here.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
From Rawstory: "Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) has alleged ...."

As you were, folks.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,255
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Congressional watchdog group, Public Citizen, has now filed a lawsuit against the Bush administration for trying to sign into law something that is unconstitutional. This is going to be very interesting to follow, and I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that, should this make it to the Supreme Court, the Bush administration is going to be very disappointed (Thank God for strict constructionists). However, Bush is not king. He cannot sign bills into law which were not passed by Congress.

Article is here.
 

dragonslayer

Counselor
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
1,856
Reaction score
139
Location
Pacific Northwest, Oregon
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Bush reminds me of 16th century king who has just discovered the world. He loves war and he loves ordering troops to go and die for him. It makes him feel powerful and complete. Bush talks of protecting the USA, but what he really is doing is protecting his ego. Bush just cannot understand that only 30% of America supports him. He believes that when he starts a war, that all Americans should rally to the cause, and support him right of wrong. He cares that Americans are dying for him. This is important to him, it makes him feel good.

Bush is the worse president in our history. He is empowered by a group of greedy and uncaring corporations. Bush is like a little boy. Please come play with me. I need to feel good. Lets kill and people and get rich.

One of the reasons that there is not much rebuilding going on New Orleans, have plans for the Area. They don't want poor blacks back into the Area.

Bush is not a liar, he really doesn't have a clue of what would help the American people. Bush thinks of America in terms of Land,,, not people. His real unspoken goal is profit and greed for the corporations. He really thinks this helps America.

When I ask why people support him in many different forums on the internet, I get shouted at, called a liberal, told that I don't support America. I get cussed at and conservatives that support Bush, try to drive me from the forums. No will answer why they voted for him, but some Christians who voted for him solely because he claims to be prolife. It does not matter to these Christians what he and his greedy cohorts do to the economy, or the wars his starts. It only matters that he claims to be prolife. I am prolife, but I really beleive that supporting Bush is diregarding the American People and the Nation.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
dragonslayer said:
Bush reminds me of 16th century king who has just discovered the world.


It's amusing how the only one's to ever refer to Bush as a king are the liberals. :lol:

dragonslayer said:
When I ask why people support him in many different forums on the internet, I get shouted at, called a liberal, told that I don't support America. .

What are you ashamed of?
 
Last edited:

Gibberish

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
6,339
Reaction score
1,269
Location
San Diego, CA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
KCConservative said:
It's amusing how the only one's to ever refer to Bush as a king are the liberals. :lol:

Calling Bush "King" is meant to be an insult. So naturally only those who oppose Bush would call him such a thing.
 

American

Bier Meister
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
90,151
Reaction score
28,816
Location
SE Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Communist
Here's a link regard this bill. As usual, the Bush haters jump the gun and fall on their faces. It wasn't Bush that screwed up, it was a Senate clerk. The screw up was in Congress. Bush signed what was officially sent to him. Some of you really need to develop some maturity.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
American said:
Here's a link regard this bill. As usual, the Bush haters jump the gun and fall on their faces. It wasn't Bush that screwed up, it was a Senate clerk. The screw up was in Congress. Bush signed what was officially sent to him. Some of you really need to develop some maturity.

I was just going to post that it would be the duty of the Congressional clerk to make sure the right version of the bill was sent over to be signed, the onus was not on the White House. Yep once again they declare Bush King and everything is his responsibility and then complain about it and make fools of themselves.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,255
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Stinger said:
I was just going to post that it would be the duty of the Congressional clerk to make sure the right version of the bill was sent over to be signed, the onus was not on the White House. Yep once again they declare Bush King and everything is his responsibility and then complain about it and make fools of themselves.
Kind of sneaky. What you omit is that Dennis Hastert called Bush and told him that he had the wrong bill on his desk. Bush signed it anyways. The fact that Bush signed the bill, knowing it to be the wrong one, is the basis of the lawsuit. Did you knowingly omit that fact, or didnt you read the article thoroughly enough?
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
danarhea said:
Kind of sneaky. What you omit is that Dennis Hastert called Bush and told him that he had the wrong bill on his desk. Bush signed it anyways. The fact that Bush signed the bill, knowing it to be the wrong one, is the basis of the lawsuit. Did you knowingly omit that fact, or didnt you read the article thoroughly enough?

There is nothing in your orignal link about Hastert and your second linke states

" The Senate bill set those payments at 13 months. But by the time it reached the House, the provision was rewritten to 36 months. The president signed the Senate's version into law.

Shortly after Bush signed the bill, the Senate passed legislation that Republican leaders hoped would clear up the confusion. The legislative fix stated that the version signed by Bush reflected "the intent of the Congress in enacting the bill into law." The House never took up that bill."

REAL sneaky on your part.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,255
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Stinger said:
There is nothing in your orignal link about Hastert and your second linke states

" The Senate bill set those payments at 13 months. But by the time it reached the House, the provision was rewritten to 36 months. The president signed the Senate's version into law.

Shortly after Bush signed the bill, the Senate passed legislation that Republican leaders hoped would clear up the confusion. The legislative fix stated that the version signed by Bush reflected "the intent of the Congress in enacting the bill into law." The House never took up that bill."

REAL sneaky on your part.
There isnt? Want to borrow my reading glasses?

Further, Waxman says there is reason to believe that the Speaker of the House called President Bush before he signed the law, and alerted him that the version he was about to sign differed from the one that actually passed the House. If true, this would put the President in willful violation of the U.S. Constitution.

Of course, Hastert wasnt mentioned, but the Speaker of the House was. Hmmmm, isnt the speaker Hastert? The sneaker is back in your court :)
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
danarhea said:
There isnt? Want to borrow my reading glasses?



Of course, Hastert wasnt mentioned, but the Speaker of the House was.

Yes my mistake, I only searched for his name in the article.

Hmmmm, isnt the speaker Hastert? The sneaker is back in your court

And after reading both articles seems to me it was deal that was a workaround to the clerks error.

So what's the big deal?
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,255
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Stinger said:
Yes my mistake, I only searched for his name in the article.



And after reading both articles seems to me it was deal that was a workaround to the clerks error.

So what's the big deal?

Big deal?

1) Hastert to Bush - You have the wrong bill on your desk.

2) Bush - OK.

3) Bush signs wrong bill anyways.

Duh......
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is really the first I have heard about this, seems to be a mistake though, they do happen, even in big government.........well, most especially in big government.:rofl
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
danarhea said:
Big deal?

1) Hastert to Bush - You have the wrong bill on your desk.

2) Bush - OK.

Senate to Bush - Hey we'll fix it over here.

3) Bush signs wrong bill anyways.

Duh......
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,255
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Stinger said:
Senate to Bush - Hey we'll fix it over here.

Its not fixed, and there is now a lawsuit over it.
 
Top Bottom