• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did anyone here vote for Obama and are now upset with him?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If so, what were you expecting to happen during his administration? Any thought on to why it has not happened?

I'm not exactly upset with him, just a little disappointed on some things. Overall I think he's done a good job, but there are a few things I think he could have done better. The healthcare bill isn't exactly what I would have liked to see, I wanted an actual public option. I'm disappointed that he hasn't repealed DADT with an executive order, I'm disappointed that he hasn't be on the forefront on supporting same sex marriage, I'm disappointed he hasn't enacted a work program much like FDR did to get people back to work.

So basically my complaints about him is that he hasn't been liberal enough. :lol: Probably not the response you were expecting, but you asked.

If so, what were you expecting to happen during his administration? Any thought on to why it has not happened?

i don't think he's been out there enough, countering the idiotic claims of the far right.

I think Obama should have closed Guantanamo by now and have gotten all the soldiers home from Iraq. But faced with all he has been faced with at home, I don't think anything better could be expected of the man, domestically. As Hillary put it: "If Barack walked on water they'd complain that he can't swim."

Regards from Rosie

I am disappointed with the fact Guantanamo is still open, Iraq took a bit longer than I would have hope, the healthcare bill was God awful, I wish he was more demanding with the Democrats in Congress in getting things done. I wish he would use an executive order to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. There are more, but I have to run to class now.

I'm dissapointed that he's been playing with kid gloves so far during the presidency, and it has cost us potentally great things like the Public Option.

I'm also pissed about Gitmo not being closed.

Pretty much what the three posts said. He is not seem to be very liberal in his governing.

I did not vote for him and I am also not disappointed. He has performed pretty much as I expected he would....which is why I didn't vote for him.

I'm not exactly upset with him, just a little disappointed on some things. Overall I think he's done a good job, but there are a few things I think he could have done better. The healthcare bill isn't exactly what I would have liked to see, I wanted an actual public option. I'm disappointed that he hasn't repealed DADT with an executive order, I'm disappointed that he hasn't be on the forefront on supporting same sex marriage, I'm disappointed he hasn't enacted a work program much like FDR did to get people back to work.

So basically my complaints about him is that he hasn't been liberal enough. :lol: Probably not the response you were expecting, but you asked.

Actually that's exactly what I expected.

Those who are saying he's not being liberal enough....

Do you think he truly IS liberal, but is holding back for political reasons?

I'm not extremely happy by any means, but I don't completely blame him. I think they should have fought harder for a public option in the healthcare bill. There were a few dickhead Dem's that wouldn't let that swing though, but they did seem to let off of it rather early. I think the bill they came out with will do little to lower costs but I'm all in favor of having more people covered so I think it's a good starting point.

I think he's going way to slow on Guantanamo, I like the progress we are having in Iraq, not sure about Afghanistan yet, I hope that it pans out ok, but I like his strategy of moving from Iraq to focus on Afghanistan as I think that's where we should have been focused all along, as well as the Pakistan border.

I think the stimulus helped the economy enough to stabilize things, though I think that all of the money that has been flowing should have been handled a little better to ensure small business lending.

I don't think he kept up a good image on the BP well, though there wasn't much they could have done besides what they did. I agree with his moratorium but hope (though I doubt he will) that some kind of new regulations and safety standards or a cleansing of the MMS happens due to this spill to get everything back on track to where no more rig workers will needlessly die and no more oil will be dumped into our oceans.

I like that he's continuing the Bush tax cuts for the poor and middle class and letting the wealthy expire. Those tax cuts were too much of a burden on our deficit.

If things continue and the republicans nominate someone the likes of Palin I'll definitely be voting Obama. Of course Democrats are going to lose seats in the upcoming elections, but everyone should be weary of how fast those tides change. Only a few years ago there were people actually talking about whether it's going to be the end of the gop and whether they'll ever be able to win an election ever again.

Obviously I'm not American lol.

Ummmm good question.

I like him more then Bush, that much is certain. I don't judge him on the whole Republican Democrat thing, I feel it's redundant.

He's a good man, genuine family man in my books, no trophy wife for Barack.

It seems when he makes decisions he truly does take all factors into account, he gathers experts and then he makes his choices, which I think is pretty wise.

Some Conservatives will say he hates America and he's trying to destroy it and stuff, but I honestly think what looks politically good at the time, isn't always the best decision, and while I think he hasn't been as courageous with certain things as he should have been, he's not afraid to go against the tide and say what's right.

He was never gonna make conservatives happy, they hated him from the MOMENT he ran in the primaries.

Certain things that piss me off:

1. Gauntanemo has not been closed.
2. The patriot act is still in effect

Now these two points are where I said he hasn't been as courageous as he should have been, and has allowed politics to influence his decisions in these matters. Both are extremely sensitive issues in terms of political recoil.

If he did not renew the patriot act the Republicans and conservatives would have a ****ing field day. Which is kind of odd because of all their chest thumping on constitution this and constitution that, they have no problem going against that when it's politically expedient.

Which is not to say the blame ultimately doesn't lie with him on not ending those two things. But let us not forget who started them and ran them for the majority of the time.

3. He simply has not been vocal enough on gay rights.

Again being the politician that he ultimately is, he has pandered a little bit to Christains in this matter, basically opposing same sex marriage from a personal standpoint, but whether he'd sign a repeal of the DOMA is a whole nother story, and I'd hope he'd step up the plate and do it.

At the moment he's in a tight spot. I think he underestimated just how much smear he was gonna get from the right. Some of it has been utterly disgraceful and has taken away alot of the political capital he inherited at the started of his presidency.

He's been in tight spots before, and he'll make it through again.

Good luck Obama.

For all of you complaining about GITMO not being closed. Are you willing to welcome all of its inmates into your local neighborhoods? If not... qwit yer bitchin. Most of these guys can't be returned "home" because the locals there would kill them ( the terrorists will kill them because they will assume they "talked" to the US govt and the local populus will kill them because they will assume they are terrorists) So what the **** is the US supposed to do with them? Open the gates and let them run free into Cuba? Castro would just love that.

AS others have said, it's not that I am upset, but that I think he could have done better so far. When republicans showed a complete unwillingness to compromise, he should have dropped the bipartisan kick and not bothered trying. Republicans will still claim that he did not try and be bipartisan. The stimulus bill was a good example of why...if it would have been pure spending, or pure tax cuts, it would probably have been more effective than the mish mash some of both that was made in an effort to be bipartisan.

Yes to an extent. He keeps wanting to get republicans in congress to back bills, and so appeases them and still does not get any significant support from them.

Yes to an extent. He keeps wanting to get republicans in congress to back bills, and so appeases them and still does not get any significant support from them.

I think the problem is that he keeps "thinking" he is appeasing them without actually appeasing them. that is why he doesn't get any significant support from them.

For all of you complaining about GITMO not being closed. Are you willing to welcome all of its inmates into your local neighborhoods? If not... qwit yer bitchin. Most of these guys can't be returned "home" because the locals there would kill them ( the terrorists will kill them because they will assume they "talked" to the US govt and the local populus will kill them because they will assume they are terrorists) So what the **** is the US supposed to do with them? Open the gates and let them run free into Cuba? Castro would just love that.

Why not? Fidel opened his prisons and Miami got the Mariel boatlift in 1980. So paybacks are hell. Let the prisoners out into Cuba. There sure are a lot fewer from Guantanamo than there were Marielitos.

Regards from Rosie

Why not? Fidel opened his prisons and Miami got the Mariel boatlift in 1980. So paybacks are hell. Let the prisoners out into Cuba. There sure are a lot fewer from Guantanamo than there were Marielitos.

Regards from Rosie

I agree. **** castro

I think the problem is that he keeps "thinking" he is appeasing them without actually appeasing them. that is why he doesn't get any significant support from them.

Well, no. Compromise only works if both sides give something. Republicans refused.

I think he is deliberately centrist because he thinks it best represents the country.

For all of you complaining about GITMO not being closed. Are you willing to welcome all of its inmates into your local neighborhoods?

I would welcome them into my town as much as I would welcome any federal high security prison.

Well, no. Compromise only works if both sides give something.

Well, no. Compromise only works if both sides give something the other wants.

I would welcome them into my town as much as I would welcome any federal high security prison.

I agree with this. We've got plenty of high max prisons for those scum bags.

For all of you complaining about GITMO not being closed. Are you willing to welcome all of its inmates into your local neighborhoods?

yes.

geo.

yes.

geo.

really, you would have no problem with hundreds of alleged terrorists being turned loose in your neighborhood? keeping in mind that only the worst of the worst are still left at GITMO.

really, you would have no problem with hundreds of alleged terrorists being turned loose in your neighborhood? keeping in mind that only the worst of the worst are still left at GITMO.

I would have a problem with hundres of potential criminals of any type turned loose in my neighborhood. However, I see no reason why terrorists would be riskier than any violent crime offender.

Back
Top Bottom