• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dick's anti gun policies hard on investors

Haven't you killed with yours? You told everyone here about that once. Now you try to say it's a lie to mention it.
you need to read my posts a bit more-I never ever claimed to kill anyone. In fact I did everything I could to make sure the fellow didn't die

you need to read my posts a bit more-I never ever claimed to kill anyone. In fact I did everything I could to make sure the fellow didn't die
You might wish to pay more attention to what you post. Was the "shot" one of those folks that the NAACP might understand advocating for?

You might wish to pay more attention to what you post. Was the "shot" one of those folks that the NAACP might understand advocating for?
what?

Dick's is a for profit enterprise. You're all about free enterprise aren't you? Since you cannot/will not focus on our discussion, let's attempt a reset. Shall we?

Dick's is a for profit enterprise. You're all about free enterprise aren't you? Since you cannot/will not focus on our discussion, let's attempt a reset. Shall we?
You apparently didn't read my last post on Dicks. I said it is their right to stop selling guns, and I don't have an issue with that. what I have an issue with is when they start lobbying to ban us US citizens from being able to buy guns we want from other dealers

You apparently didn't read my last post on Dicks. I said it is their right to stop selling guns, and I don't have an issue with that. what I have an issue with is when they start lobbying to ban us US citizens from being able to buy guns we want from other dealers
Sure. So. You want federal government lobbying restrictions all across the board, right? You want federal jurisdiction over private enterprise, right? I mean I own guns, but your hysteria is batshit.

And no, I don't read hysterical baseless unsubstantiated posts. Do better. Be better.

Sure. So. You want federal government lobbying restrictions all across the board, right? You want federal jurisdiction over private enterprise, right? I mean I own guns, but your hysteria is batshit.
again, you didn't comprehend what I wrote. Since Dicks is working against my rights, I won't shop there and I'd hope other gun owners won't as well.

again, you didn't comprehend what I wrote. Since Dicks is working against my rights, I won't shop there and I'd hope other gun owners won't as well.
Great. Don't. Why whine as well? You're not going to sue them with your legal experience and courtroom success?

Congress has defined what a militia is,
That definition has little to do with the militia that is referred to in the Second Amendment. For example, the definition includes the National Guard, which (being part of a standing army) is the exact opposite of a militia.

So if there is no militia, there seems to be no purpose for the second amendment.
People have the right to keep and bear arms even if they are not a part of the militia.

There being no militia means that the Second Amendment is being violated, not that its purpose no longer exists. Its purpose will exist for as long as it is part of the Constitution.

That definition has little to do with the militia that is referred to in the Second Amendment. For example, the definition includes the National Guard, which (being part of a standing army) is the exact opposite of a militia.

People have the right to keep and bear arms even if they are not a part of the militia.

There being no militia means that the Second Amendment is being violated, not that its purpose no longer exists. Its purpose will exist for as long as it is part of the Constitution.
Thats not what the second amendment says. Unlike the first amendment the purpose of of the second is clearly defined so if there is no militia then the purpose of the second is not there.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(the way this is worded doesnt clearly say purpose but i think it can be reasonably implied)

Thats not what the second amendment says. Unlike the first amendment the purpose of of the second is clearly defined so if there is no militia then the purpose of the second is not there.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(the way this is worded doesnt clearly say purpose but i think it can be reasonably implied)
Funny how SCOTUS has found over and over that thevright protected by the Second, that being the right to keep and bear arms, isvthatbifbtbe people, not the militia. See Cruikshank, Verdugo-Urquidez, Heller, McDonald and Caetano.

Given the powers granted Congress, the Second cannot protect the arms of the militia. No one has the right to serve un the militia, so there's no right of the militia protected at all.

Great. Don't. Why whine as well? You're not going to sue them with your legal experience and courtroom success?
what would I sue them over? that they are anti gun scumbags? if I could sue everyone who was an anti gun scumbag, and win, I would have started with Biden and worked my way down. Bloomberg, Feinswine, ABC, CBS, NBC, Soros, Turner, etc

if you were correct (you are not) the FDR lapdog court would have dismissed Miller's claim based on standing

Nope just firearms, like the majority of other citizens including gun owners.

For future reference I support the first four measures in the below stat table and am an assault style weapon owner with 30 round clips Got it after the Ruby Ridge and Waco fiascos.

View attachment 67370287
Why am I not surprised that you support deliberately violating the rights of every American?

Background checks and a federal databases are both a violations of the Fourth Amendment. Banning gun purchases for those on no-fly lists is a violation of Due Process under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments.

Why not just save time and do what other totalitarian leftist pieces of shit have already done, like rounding up all those who oppose you and place them in concentration camps for quick disposal. After all, that is the ultimate goal of every leftist.

Just an update on those poor, poor investors who bought Dick's Sporting Goods stock...

If you bought $10,000 worth of DKS on March 15, 2019 when they announced they would no longer sell firearms, that stock would only be worth $34,370 today...

Just an update on those poor, poor investors who bought Dick's Sporting Goods stock...

If you bought $10,000 worth of DKS on March 15, 2019 when they announced they would no longer sell firearms, that stock would only be worth $34,370 today...
Pretty much all retail stocks show similar gain over that time period.

Pretty much all retail stocks show similar gain over that time period.
If you bought 10,000 dollars worth of Ammo from Dicks in 2019 it might well be worth more than 35K today.

If you cannot show that the Second Amendment strikes down laws...

Not the 2A, but the Supreme Court.

A straw man argument is when someone is credited with having made an argument that they have not made

Not quite, it's when you take an argument that someone has made, and them deliberately misrepresent it in order to more easily defeat it.

I do not say other people make this argument. I make this argument myself

But one others have used long before you

The point is wrong. Statistics are very clear that gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.

As Benjamin Disraeli once observed:
"There are there kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics"

Guns are the primary method in homicides. You make a straw-man assertion that if guns were removed, the number of homicides would remain fairly constant
And that is a false assumption - for pre-meditated murder, that might be correct, not so for spontaneous, "hot blooded" homicide, that the figures show that most mass shootings are, and I suspect most individual shhotings are too.

There are a number of EU countries where gun ownership is widespread...

What is your criteria for "widespread" ?
And which countries might these be ?
(NB: Switzerland is NOT an EU country).

The reason why the US has a problem is not because we have guns, but because we have a spate of copycat crimes.

Specifically, crimes committed with guns.
Crimes committed without guns, tend not to be so costly in lives.

I also wonder if perhaps the EU does more to help troubled kids. A number of American school shooters were bullied at school. Perhaps the EU does better at preventing kids from being bullied. Or perhaps not. Just speculating.

I think you mean countries in the EU as it's a confederation, rather than a federation
Sure, the USA could spend a lot more money on mental health care - but whenever left wing politicians do this, they're decried as "socialts", trying to built a "nanny state"
Right wing politicians rarely, if ever, promote increased public spending on healthcare generally.

That is incorrect. Free people have had the right to be armed for thousands of years now.

No they haven't

Perhaps knights and other nobles, but we're speaking of GUNS, in a DEMOCRACY. Democracies are a feature on modern history, not medieval.
English peasants legally required to practice archery on Sundays is far removed from the gun control debate. Just as the Swiss practice of allowing army reservists to take issued guns home with them.

All the other countries have turned their backs on freedom

LOL
USA!, USA!, USA!

We're right and the REST of the world is wrong
It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetically tragic.

That would amount to a right to take away everyone else's freedom

No, it gives freedom to people
Freedom to live their lives in a society without guns
Gun owners lose the freedom to shoot people.

There is no such right

But there should be
And if the 2A was repealed and replaced by an amendment giving you such a right, would you oppose it ?

If "significant gun control" means laws that will do nothing to reduce crime or save lives...

It means gun controls that significantly reduce the number of shootings, particularly mass shootings.

I'm not sure how gun control and the Second Amendment would have any bearing on whether the New Deal violated the Tenth Amendment.

Look at the fact that nothing in the Constitution authorizes the federal government to carry out the New Deal.

The Tenth Amendment forbids the federal government from having jurisdiction in any area that is not expressly authorized by the Constitution.

Many on here say the New Deal did so violate the 10A - I dispute this.

The New Deal was entirely authorized by the Constitution

Name any article in it, and I'll show you the authorization.

Not the 2A, but the Supreme Court.

Not quite, it's when you take an argument that someone has made, and them deliberately misrepresent it in order to more easily defeat it.

But one others have used long before you

As Benjamin Disraeli once observed:
"There are there kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics"

Guns are the primary method in homicides. You make a straw-man assertion that if guns were removed, the number of homicides would remain fairly constant
And that is a false assumption - for pre-meditated murder, that might be correct, not so for spontaneous, "hot blooded" homicide, that the figures show that most mass shootings are, and I suspect most individual shhotings are too.

What is your criteria for "widespread" ?
And which countries might these be ?
(NB: Switzerland is NOT an EU country).

Specifically, crimes committed with guns.
Crimes committed without guns, tend not to be so costly in lives.

I think you mean countries in the EU as it's a confederation, rather than a federation
Sure, the USA could spend a lot more money on mental health care - but whenever left wing politicians do this, they're decried as "socialts", trying to built a "nanny state"
Right wing politicians rarely, if ever, promote increased public spending on healthcare generally.

No they haven't

Perhaps knights and other nobles, but we're speaking of GUNS, in a DEMOCRACY. Democracies are a feature on modern history, not medieval.
English peasants legally required to practice archery on Sundays is far removed from the gun control debate. Just as the Swiss practice of allowing army reservists to take issued guns home with them.

LOL
USA!, USA!, USA!

We're right and the REST of the world is wrong
It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetically tragic.

No, it gives freedom to people
Freedom to live their lives in a society without guns
Gun owners lose the freedom to shoot people.

But there should be
And if the 2A was repealed and replaced by an amendment giving you such a right, would you oppose it ?

It means gun controls that significantly reduce the number of shootings, particularly mass shootings.

Many on here say the New Deal did so violate the 10A - I dispute this.

The New Deal was entirely authorized by the Constitution

Name any article in it, and I'll show you the authorization.
no, the New Deal was authorized by dishonest justices who ignored the intent and language of the constitution

no, the New Deal was authorized by dishonest justices who ignored the intent and language of the constitution

IYO

It was absolutely authorized by the Constitution

Don't you see the inconsistency of you labeling the SC as "dishonest justices" when referring to rulings you disagree with, but putting SC rulings, that you ***DO** agree with, on a pedestal ?

what would I sue them over? that they are anti gun scumbags? if I could sue everyone who was an anti gun scumbag, and win, I would have started with Biden and worked my way down. Bloomberg, Feinswine, ABC, CBS, NBC, Soros, Turner, etc
Well get busy then, you're not getting any of that done here.

IYO

It was absolutely authorized by the Constitution

Don't you see the inconsistency of you labeling the SC as "dishonest justices" when referring to rulings you disagree with, but putting SC rulings, that you ***DO** agree with, on a pedestal ?
Either he can't see it or he's fine with it. Either way, it's dickheaded.

Yes they have a duty to share the wealth. If that seems unlikely you are right. That was the reason for the 90% top tax rate to "remind" the wealthy of their duty and discourage them from taking all the increased profits for themselves. Sadly that has now been forgotten and the yuppies are as greedy as ever. There would be no middle class if not for unions and the 90% top tax rate. Now that both are gone so soon will be our middle class.
Perhaps this will help, @iguanaman
-Peace
1643147082326.png

why do they have a duty to share the wealth? If i go to to Golf shop and spend 500 dollars on a set of golf clubs and then win 100K in a tournament-do I have a duty to go and give the Shop some additional monies? Your moronic worship of a 90% tax rate is so stupid I am laughing. IT was the post war boon to US industry that really helped the middle class grow-and to some extent the GI bill. Not a punitive tax rate that was part of a LESS PROGRESSIVE tax code than we have now at the federal level.
Notice how the CEO pay vs workers remained flat from 1965 to 1980 in this chart. That is because workers wages rose at nearly the same rate as the CEO's. Then after the top tax rates were slashed everything began to change. That is because increased profits were no longer shared with the workers. They were hoarded by the wealthy few. It is all in the data and you cannot argue with it.

ceo-compensation-ratio-2016.png

CEOToWorkerPayRatio.jpg

Back
Top Bottom