• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dick Cheney's Creepy Torture Bravado

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
A new movie and a visit to the 9/11 memorial remind us what's at stake when America doesn't live up to its ideals.

On a Saturday buffeted with a cold December wind, thousands strolled with somber step through one of New York City's two historic cathedrals. Outside hundreds more waited patiently in a long line to enter; once inside, their voices were muted, and the very young, holding a parents hand, would be told about a brilliant, cloudless September morning when America changed forever.

Read the article here: Dick Cheney vs.

Dick Cheney is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I believe that most people in the USA will never support the use of torture.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

A new movie and a visit to the 9/11 memorial remind us what's at stake when America doesn't live up to its ideals.

On a Saturday buffeted with a cold December wind, thousands strolled with somber step through one of New York City's two historic cathedrals. Outside hundreds more waited patiently in a long line to enter; once inside, their voices were muted, and the very young, holding a parents hand, would be told about a brilliant, cloudless September morning when America changed forever.

Dick Cheney is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I believe that most people in the USA will never support the use of torture.

Dead wrong.

Torture Poll: Most Americans Say Torture Is Justifiable At Times

Heres another good report about it:

Dick Cheney - The Atlantic

And the conclusion of it shows the twisted logic, which seems to be shared by many posters here:

Once 9/11 happened, Dick Cheney ceased to believe that the CIA should be subject to the U.S. Constitution, statutes passed by Congress, international treaties, or moral prohibitions against torture. Those standards would be cast aside. In their place, moral relativism would reign. Any action undertaken by the United States would be subject to this test: Is it morally equivalent to what Al Qaeda did on 9/11? Is it as bad as murdering roughly 3,000 innocent people? If not, then no one should criticize it, let alone investigate, charge and prosecute the CIA. Did a prisoner freeze to death? Were others anally raped? Well, what if they were?

If it cannot be compared with 9/11, if it is not morally equivalent, then it should not be verboten.

That is the moral standard Cheney is unabashedly invoking on national television. He doesn’t want the United States to honor norms against torture. He doesn’t want us to abide by Ten Commandments, or to live up to the values in the Declaration of Independence, or to be restrained by the text of the Constitution. Instead, Cheney would have us take Al Qaeda as our moral and legal measuring stick. Did America torture dozens of innocents? So what. 9/11 was worse.

I never liked Cheney very much and would not trust him at all. But torture is not an option and was not, as far as I know. That is why the White House wanted a legal opinion on what it is ie whether a number of procedures were or were not acceptable ie constituted torture.

The Daily Beast?

Are you ****ting me?

And who wrote this? It's nice prose, for a cheap dimes store romance novel, but what, exactly, is the point of dragging Dick Cheney into what has been Obama's problem for six years.

Keep the romance novel musings of the uninformed, but look at the next article...

The Detainee Abuse Photos Obama Didn’t Want You To See!

The Obama administration is withholding hundreds, perhaps even thousands of photographs showing the U.S. government’s brutal treatment of detainees, meaning that revelations about detainee abuse could well continue, possibly compounding the outrage generated by the Senate “torture report” now in the public eye.

A blog trying to outdo the National Inquirer!

Next up:

"Aliens Run White House!" and "Ghost of Reagan Haunts First Family!"

Anyone who thinks that it's OK should have to go through it. :roll:

The survey is worrying. But it is also partially the fault of those against torture. It is not enough to forbid something, without saying what it is.

Torture is the mark of barbarism.

I don't support torture. I know that the world isn't a pretty place and that information that may have proven useful in military or hostage situations has been obtained by torture, but still, we should try and rise above that.

Think of it this way. What if it happened to you?

"but I'm a good person, it could never happen to me".
The people who torture others aren't good people. Doesn't matter what you are, the people who have been dehumanized to torture someone will not care. They won't need much of an excuse to start torturing you if you fall into heir hands.

I sometimes wonder who ends up drawing the short straw in the long run. The torturer who has to do it for a long time, on multiple people... or the tortured souls who will eventually have their suffering ended. But the torturer will go on to the next guy. And the next. And the next. I don't see how one can be truly alive with such a burden on him. Unless the army/special services recruit mentally deranged people, psychos and sociopaths, to be their torturers. I don't see how a man could do that and keep his sanity.

Anyway, my 0.02$.

Dick Cheney is a ****ing worm. Has no problem with torturing innocent people as well as the guilty.

DICK CHENEY: --right. But the problem I had is with the folks that we did release that end up back on the battlefield. [...] I'm more concerned with bad guys who got out and released than I am with a few that, in fact, were innocent.

CHUCK TODD: 25% of the detainees though, 25% turned out to be innocent. They were released.

DICK CHENEY: Where are you going to draw the line, Chuck? How are-- [...]

CHUCK TODD: Is that too high? You're okay with that margin for error?

DICK CHENEY: I have no problem as long as we achieve our objective.
Go **** yourself, Dick, and be sure to use a cactus to do it. 'Ya know, if you were kidnapped by extremists, and then tortured to death by them, I would have no problem with that either. After all, they are merely showing you the same consideration you gave to others, even those who turned out to be innocent. ****ing scum bag, go die in a fire.

On another note, I have a lot of respect for John McCain and have started to gain a lot more respect for the man in the past few months.
First by condemning Viktor Orban of Hungary for leading the country down the path of fascism and now for standing up against torture.
John McCain Statement On CIA Torture Report - Business Insider

Anyone who thinks that it's OK should have to go through it. :roll:

I don't want to get shot on the battlefield. Does mean our troops shouod be shot if they shoot the enemy?

Dick Cheney is a ****ing worm. Has no problem with torturing innocent people as well as the guilty.

If you'll look around, you'll see several posters who pretty much agree with Cheney.

Its sad how the scary mooslim boogeyman has brainwashed them so.

That is why the White House wanted a legal opinion on what it is ie whether a number of procedures were or were not acceptable ie constituted torture.

What a good idea!!
Have your legal hacks come up with the opinion you desire.
Works for Dick Cheney.

What a good idea!!
Have your legal hacks come up with the opinion you desire.
Works for Dick Cheney.

I don't know that I like the conclusions of the legal opinion. But it sure makes more sense than the slippery sloppy definition that the populists are using.

Most political figures are fairly harmless and don't bother me too much.
They've found a good gig, it pays pretty well and they don't really need to accomplish much, if anything.
Dick Cheney is the only pol I really dislike.
Serial draft dodger with a propensity to send others into battle, and now he's the patron saint for torture.
Just a nasty piece of work.

I don't want to get shot on the battlefield. Does mean our troops shouod be shot if they shoot the enemy?

Must be some of that Bagdad, LA logic.

Torture is the mark of barbarism.

I don't support torture. I know that the world isn't a pretty place and that information that may have proven useful in military or hostage situations has been obtained by torture, but still, we should try and rise above that.

Think of it this way. What if it happened to you?

"but I'm a good person, it could never happen to me".
The people who torture others aren't good people. Doesn't matter what you are, the people who have been dehumanized to torture someone will not care. They won't need much of an excuse to start torturing you if you fall into heir hands.

I sometimes wonder who ends up drawing the short straw in the long run. The torturer who has to do it for a long time, on multiple people... or the tortured souls who will eventually have their suffering ended. But the torturer will go on to the next guy. And the next. And the next. I don't see how one can be truly alive with such a burden on him. Unless the army/special services recruit mentally deranged people, psychos and sociopaths, to be their torturers. I don't see how a man could do that and keep his sanity.

Anyway, my 0.02$.

Give me a break. To lump these acts in with "torture" is like prosecuting a shop lifter with a capital murder because they are both crimes

Give me a break. To lump these acts in with "torture" is like prosecuting a shop lifter with a capital murder because they are both crimes

That's kinda the crux of it all, this disagreement here, and I'm sure elsewhere.

There are some who read about the acts, and come to the conclusion that it's torture.

There are some that look at the legal definitions, the legal expert's reviews at the time, before any of these methods were used mind you, and see the legal conclusions that these methods were not torture.

It's the age old stand off between those who empathize and those who are using logic, in this case, the definition of law as established at that time.

This argument could go on for years, and neither side believes that they are wrong, and neither is willing to give in. One can only imagine that a similar stand off is being held in the House and in the Senate over this as well.

Is this the new form of congressional gridlock?
Might this action have been designed to perform that way?
What are the wheels within the wheels here?

I can easily see where this is yet another poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

It's strange, I see a lot of people accidentally post a topic that someone else already posted... I rarely see the original thread and duplicate come from the same person.

Polls disagree with you, it seems

Back
Top Bottom