• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Diamond Reynolds

Cable

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I just watched the news media interview with this woman. I don't know what happened there, it looks bad, but I know one thing. This woman is amazing. She has a heart like Dr King. I hope she is able to stay strong.
God forbid Jackson or Sharpton get their hands on her. She could be a real leader that Americans could respect.
My prayers are with you Diamond. Stay strong.

I just watched the news media interview with this woman. I don't know what happened there, it looks bad, but I know one thing. This woman is amazing. She has a heart like Dr King. I hope she is able to stay strong.
God forbid Jackson or Sharpton get their hands on her. She could be a real leader that Americans could respect.

You point at Jackson and Sharpton, we point at Erickson and Alex Jones. You point at Clinton, we point at Trump.

But what everyone needs to realize is that the great majority of people - whether liberal or conservative, white or black or brown or yellow, whether religious or atheist, are good, well-meaning people who just want to live their lives free from violence and danger and have opportunities for themselves and their families (note: most of my friends are strongly conservative - comes with being in the Church of which I am a member).

But it's hard to live free from violence and danger when guns are so doggone easy for bad people to get hold of, and when people cling to divisive xenophobic rhetoric.

You point at Jackson and Sharpton, we point at Erickson and Alex Jones. You point at Clinton, we point at Trump.

But what everyone needs to realize is that the great majority of people - whether liberal or conservative, white or black or brown or yellow, whether religious or atheist, are good, well-meaning people who just want to live their lives free from violence and danger and have opportunities for themselves and their families (note: most of my friends are strongly conservative - comes with being in the Church of which I am a member).

But it's hard to live free from violence and danger when guns are so doggone easy for bad people to get hold of, and when people cling to divisive xenophobic rhetoric.

Yep, I have progressive friends. We all want roughly the same things, we just don't agree on how to get there. And really, people don't get better over the long haul.
In the past we had white supremacists like the Nazi bunch perpetrating evil as far as they could reach. Now you have ISIS, the rise of black power, and the likes of la raza, all racially and/or religiously oriented power movements. It won't be long before those bear their terrible fruit in force, as we saw last night.

But my point was about this woman. She didn't say "burn this mother down" she said what a reasonable civil person would say, and you can't help but to grieve with her on the senseless loss of her loved on.

It's hard to live free from violence and danger when legal guns in the hands of agents of the state are so frequently discharged and so frequently kill innocent young people. Tamir Rice and all the others.

An interesting rhetorical question is are more innocent people killed by US drones, or by police officers in this country?

Yep, I have progressive friends. We all want roughly the same things, we just don't agree on how to get there. And really, people don't get better over the long haul.
In the past we had white supremacists like the Nazi bunch perpetrating evil as far as they could reach. Now you have ISIS, the rise of black power, and the likes of la raza, all racially and/or religiously oriented power movements. It won't be long before those bear their terrible fruit in force, as we saw last night.

But my point was about this woman. She didn't say "burn this mother down" she said what a reasonable civil person would say, and you can't help but to grieve with her on the senseless loss of her loved on.
The bolded is indeed true, and I've believed this for about as long as I can remember.

I'd also add: Both sides are driven by fears.

- Liberals fear corporations and capitalist abuse, looking to government to reign them in.

And conversely,

- Conservatives fear government, looking for freemarket capitalism and individual power to reign government in.

The bolded is indeed true, and I've believed this for about as long as I can remember.
I'd also add: Both sides are driven by fears.
- Liberals fear corporations and capitalist abuse, looking to government to reign them in.
And conversely,
- Conservatives fear government, looking for freemarket capitalism and individual power to reign government in.

Sounds about right. One thing has really come to bother me lately. All these people telling me what we need to do to be safe. The president, the press, the individual.

We really can't be safe. That's the deal

I heard the audio recording of her daughter saying, "everything is OK. I am here with you." It's so upsetting a child had to go through that. The child sounded so brave and comforting. I hope they get justice for what happened. I hope the child thrives.

Sounds about right. One thing has really come to bother me lately. All these people telling me what we need to do to be safe. The president, the press, the individual.

Such a simple truth.

We cannot be safe in life, most everything is risky.

So why is it that we are being sold the idea that a security apparatus operated by the state can actually make us safe?

but some "times" in history are safer than others, some places in time are safer than others

right now the pendulum is not in a good place

Such a simple truth.
We cannot be safe in life, most everything is risky.
So why is it that we are being sold the idea that a security apparatus operated by the state can actually make us safe?

Fear sells. We just need to be keenly aware of what they are selling.

Back
Top Bottom