• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Diablo 4, are you ready?

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
So I just saw the intro trailer and some gameplay for Diablo 4 and I'm ready for this next stage in the series. The graphics have moved away from the cartoony look that Blizzard has been doing for a while and pushed into more realism. They also seem to have gone much darker in it's story as well as added a more open world type of environment where you can run into other players. I'm excited to see where this goes.

I've been playing Diablo since I was in in high school. I hope this turns out as good or better than it looks. Again, I love the move towards realism in the graphic design. Who else is ready for this?

I don't think we'll see this game anytime in the next 2 years.

But yeah...I'm ready.

I've been playing Diablo since I was in in high school.

Damn you for making me feel old!

Diablo 4 could hardly be worse than 3 was to me. I am going to wait until there is alot more detail before making a decision on it, but some of it looks decent. I worry that they are focusing on console play, which is never a good sign.

So I just saw the intro trailer and some gameplay for Diablo 4 and I'm ready for this next stage in the series. The graphics have moved away from the cartoony look that Blizzard has been doing for a while and pushed into more realism. They also seem to have gone much darker in it's story as well as added a more open world type of environment where you can run into other players. I'm excited to see where this goes.

I've been playing Diablo since I was in in high school. I hope this turns out as good or better than it looks. Again, I love the move towards realism in the graphic design. Who else is ready for this?

Too early to tell but I read they put runewords into diablo 4. Diablo 3 in my eyes had promise on launch, but the game was fixable, then blizzard released loot 2.0 and things started to look better, then they went back to rng where every unique item had highly random stats and recycled the same content and items over and over in a world of warcraft style of expansion of content. The game added so many zeros and dumbed down choices so much that d3 became a grindfest with no enjoyment.

I currently play path of exile which even the d1 and 2 team deemed as what d3 should have been, poe is expansive, builds and choices limitless. I hope diablo 4 takes the poe approach of taking what made diablo 1 and 2 great and expanding upon it rather than the d3 approach of mindless money grab mmo where all choices are dumbed down and marketed as a cash grab based off name recognition.

The game is at least 2 to 3 years away, now some rumours I hear said they were actually gonna change the game and make it a more dark souls type experience in possibly a different camera view, perhaps 3rd person, so it worries me a bit that they’ve back tracked because they realized people would hate it, it would need of be a side project stand alone, perhaps something they should still explore but back to the main point it worries me because they’ve changed tact, maybe it could get into a “development hell” situation and there’s no real clear vision for what the game should be and it either ends up quite undercooked or just not a very straight shot at a stable vision.

But hopefully with a few more years in the oven that can be avoided.

The other of course is micro transactions and given where the industry sits today, it would be extremely worrying how badly it could be monetized 2 or 3 years from now because a game like Diablo is ripe, absolutely teaming with opportunities for monetization and when you look at the trend of the industry, I would not be surprised just for starters, just for starters, if we found out some classes were pay walled behind a more expensive edition or straight up DLC.

Diablo 4 could hardly be worse than 3 was to me. I am going to wait until there is alot more detail before making a decision on it, but some of it looks decent. I worry that they are focusing on console play, which is never a good sign.

Lol...and I'm not spring chicken at 41. I also hate that consoles have impinged on the gaming market because PC gaming can and should be pushed further.

I currently play path of exile which even the d1 and 2 team deemed as what d3 should have been, poe is expansive, builds and choices limitless. I hope diablo 4 takes the poe approach of taking what made diablo 1 and 2 great and expanding upon it rather than the d3 approach of mindless money grab mmo where all choices are dumbed down and marketed as a cash grab based off name recognition.

I play PoE as well. The combinations of skills that can be chained together is super fun.

I play PoE as well. The combinations of skills that can be chained together is super fun.

I think of the poe skill system as an expansion of the d2 skill tree and synergies. In every game I play I love to experiment with skill and gear builds, which is where d3 kinda pissed me off, one stat plus vitality and damage, everything else ended up being useless in d3.

Heck I was so proud in d2 when the best players were running mellee pvp builds and my poorly equipped zealer whooped them, because their zealers were running max damage with sacrifice as a synergy and I figured out defiance as a synergy to holy shield made them much higher defense than anything else in the game except a zealer who did the same and had defiance aura through exile shield. It was some insane number for d2 like 30k def for a zealer with things like enigma and 50k defense with the same plus exile shield.

I think of the poe skill system as an expansion of the d2 skill tree and synergies. In every game I play I love to experiment with skill and gear builds, which is where d3 kinda pissed me off, one stat plus vitality and damage, everything else ended up being useless in d3.

Heck I was so proud in d2 when the best players were running mellee pvp builds and my poorly equipped zealer whooped them, because their zealers were running max damage with sacrifice as a synergy and I figured out defiance as a synergy to holy shield made them much higher defense than anything else in the game except a zealer who did the same and had defiance aura through exile shield. It was some insane number for d2 like 30k def for a zealer with things like enigma and 50k defense with the same plus exile shield.

That's really the great thing about D2 and PoE, that there are so many combinations to choose from that are viable where D3 was so limited that you were forced to pic from very few options.

Man i cant tell you how many hours i spent playing diablo 2 and i was hooked ever since. I will be looking forward to seeing more.

The game is at least 2 to 3 years away, now some rumours I hear said they were actually gonna change the game and make it a more dark souls type experience in possibly a different camera view, perhaps 3rd person, so it worries me a bit that they’ve back tracked because they realized people would hate it, it would need of be a side project stand alone, perhaps something they should still explore but back to the main point it worries me because they’ve changed tact, maybe it could get into a “development hell” situation and there’s no real clear vision for what the game should be and it either ends up quite undercooked or just not a very straight shot at a stable vision.

But hopefully with a few more years in the oven that can be avoided.

The other of course is micro transactions and given where the industry sits today, it would be extremely worrying how badly it could be monetized 2 or 3 years from now because a game like Diablo is ripe, absolutely teaming with opportunities for monetization and when you look at the trend of the industry, I would not be surprised just for starters, just for starters, if we found out some classes were pay walled behind a more expensive edition or straight up DLC.

That would just be horrible. I like that they have druid but if they are going to have the three and put all others behind paywall then **** it.

Last edited:
I picked up Diablo 3 a few years back, and it just never hooked me - I also didn't make it very far in before stopping, for various college related reasons. I'm curious what you guys like about it so much; I was considering trying the game out again this weekend after seeing that announcement.

I picked up Diablo 3 a few years back, and it just never hooked me - I also didn't make it very far in before stopping, for various college related reasons. I'm curious what you guys like about it so much; I was considering trying the game out again this weekend after seeing that announcement.

It is more about liking D2 so much and sticking with D3. I've actually played it since D1 in high school so there was some nostalgia for me there. For current hack and slash Path of Exile is a better sequel to D2 than D3 is. Grim Dawn is actually also pretty good.

Diablo 3 had plenty of problems though i kinda understand some reasons for the real money auction house because something that has been plagueing MMOs has been third party gold and grinding sites even though most if not all of them were scams. The auction house was a bust. D2 and LOD are still my all time favorites.

It is more about liking D2 so much and sticking with D3. I've actually played it since D1 in high school so there was some nostalgia for me there. For current hack and slash Path of Exile is a better sequel to D2 than D3 is. Grim Dawn is actually also pretty good.

So what I'm hearing is, I came into the series on a low note? What dropped in quality about D3?

I was about to mention grim dawn. That has a character creation system that vastly outpaces the diablo franchise in terms of options.

So what I'm hearing is, I came into the series on a low note? What dropped in quality about D3?

Yeah pretty much. I got D2 in the diablo battle chest which included D1, D2 and LOD expansion. Of course that was before steam and Diablo 2 was a pretty big game for my computer.

Yes, I'd say that's a good summary. D4 looks like it might go back to things that made D2 great but with a little more. However, D4 might be years away so those other games are a good option while waiting. PoE is free to download and play and operates mostly off of cosmetic microtransactions that I've never felt the need to buy.

Ooooh, I like the sound of that. Might have to grab that next paycheck.

Yeah....there are like 8 or 10 classes to choose from and then you can choose to multiclass into your choice from the rest of the remaining ones, meaning there are a lot of combos that can be created.

Yes, I'd say that's a good summary. D4 looks like it might go back to things that made D2 great but with a little more. However, D4 might be years away so those other games are a good option while waiting. PoE is free to download and play and operates mostly off of cosmetic microtransactions that I've never felt the need to buy.

Yeah....there are like 8 or 10 classes to choose from and then you can choose to multiclass into your choice from the rest of the remaining ones, meaning there are a lot of combos that can be created.

Alright, consider me sold on both. One more question, though: do you get to edit your character's appearance in Grim Dawn at all?

Diablo 3, not much. Diablo 2, despite the dated graphics, was dope(as the kids these days say). Diablo 1 too, but it has not aged as well.

Mostly everything. Diablo 2 had a nice variety of classes, each of which played really different from each other, with a ton of builds that again where much different, to the point where two sorceresses could play completely differently. Add in a grim story, great mood, diverse level designs(see Act 3), a really good expansion and you have a winner. It was hard, but not unfairly hard.

The big thing though will always be the variety of ways to play. A barbarian whirl-winding through tons of foes is completely different from a summoner build of a necro with a hoard of minions doing the fighting, which is nothing like healing paladin build, which is nothing like an amazon with her bow(or javalins), which is yet again nothing like a meteorb sorceress(my all time fav build). That variety is almost unmatched in games these days.

Mostly everything. Diablo 2 had a nice variety of classes, each of which played really different from each other, with a ton of builds that again where much different, to the point where two sorceresses could play completely differently. Add in a grim story, great mood, diverse level designs(see Act 3), a really good expansion and you have a winner. It was hard, but not unfairly hard.

The big thing though will always be the variety of ways to play. A barbarian whirl-winding through tons of foes is completely different from a summoner build of a necro with a hoard of minions doing the fighting, which is nothing like healing paladin build, which is nothing like an amazon with her bow(or javalins), which is yet again nothing like a meteorb sorceress(my all time fav build). That variety is almost unmatched in games these days.

They aren't even remotely similar, but that reminds me quite a bit of why I love the Soulsborne games so much. You wouldn't think that there's be so much difference between fairly similar weapons like broadswords, longswords & bastard swords, but there is a massive amount of variety in play styles in those games with a reasonably simple & straightforward combat system.

The little bit of gameplay I saw didn't thrill me. It looked incrementally better than D3 but that isn't saying much.

The Diablo franchise is all about the grind. That's not necessarily a bad thing but after 20 years one would think that maybe Blizzard would add something new.

Back
Top Bottom