• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Diabetic advise

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
My mate is isolating and has trouble with his sugars going all over the place. He is sleeping too much etc.

I don't know anything about the condition so please bear with me.

He tells me that he is unable to get his blood sugar checked at a doctors, I presume the risk of infection, doctor being a definate thing to avoid, is too great.

Can he take the blood and I carry it to the doctors, via not going anywhere near him, drop the sample off at the end of the garden and I pick it up etc?

Will that work? Or do any good?

My mate is isolating and has trouble with his sugars going all over the place. He is sleeping too much etc.

He tells me that he is unable to get his blood sugar checked at a doctors, I presume the risk of infection, doctor being a definate thing to avoid, is too great.

Can he take the blood and I carry it to the doctors, via not going anywhere near him, drop the sample off at the end of the garden and I pick it up etc?

Your mate cannot check his own sugar levels? How long a diabetic? Type 1 or 2?

wait he is diabetic and doesn't have a glucose meter at home?

I think he does but needs additional testing????????????

He needs to go to the ER or consult with his doctor by telephone at the very least. If his levels are too high or too low something is going on which may not be just his diabetes. The having trouble staying awake is a not good sign.

It is very easy to check blood sugar. Go to your local drugstore and get a glucose meter, they are cheap. I have a Walgreens True Metrix Air, it is nice because you can link it via bluetooth to a program on your phone that will track from reading to reading (but the Walgreens app is terrible, I use a free app called Glooko." You buy a meter kit, it will have lancets for drawing blood, a trigger device that you put the lancet into and press against a finger (if you hit the right spot, you won't even feel it). You put a test strip into the meter, and just have the meter touch the blood drop on your finger, in a few seconds, you will have a reading. Do a reading 2 hours after breakfast, and at different times during the day. Your blood sugar actually goes up when you sleep, and, oddly, when you don't eat.

I am type 2, my diabetes is very minor, but, I found that my blood sugar goes up in the summer because I don't hydrate enough (and it has been over 110 degrees here a few times already.)

As for food, stay away from empty carbohydrates. Eat low carb food with high fiber, rule of thumb is, if something is say 30 grams of carb, and has 5 grams of fiber, you subtract the fiber from the carbs. Also check the sugars in the meal.

Eat more veggies, eat meat, eat cheese, eat eggs. Stay away from bread, pasta, high glycemic fruit like pineapple (I love pinapple!). If you want bread, switch to a high fiber wheat or whole grain bread, you can also get very low carb tortillas that good.

There are some very tasty chocolate protein bars that are for diabetics, you get the sugar you crave, but it goes into the bloodstream slowly. Nuts are good as well, almonds and pistachios especially.

But, testing your blood is cheap and easy. In fact, most insurance programs will offer a co-pay for the strips and the lancet.

Go out and buy him a metering kit and start tracking his numbers, it is very important to get the numbers down. A doctor can do a 3 month blood sugar test called an A1C test, this will give the doctor a good idea of what the blood sugar average is.

Insulin is cheap, usually it is just a pill that you take once a day, there is also an injectable that is good for a week. For more serious Type 1 diabetes, you may need to inject yourself several times a day, my nephew is this way, it is not fun...

Has he been self-monitoring his blood sugar at home?

I'm diabetic type 2 - and wintertime or days I can't go out, I do exercises at home. Even just dancing.
Plug in to youtube - so many different exercises you can find. He needs exercises - that's very important.
It has to do something with using up stored fats in the liver.

Anyway, if he feels something is seriously wrong, he should call his doctor. The clerk of my doctor sent me a form to take to the blood testing lab (Dynacare it is here). I had my blood done at the lab, and the lab forwarded the results to my doctor.
Safe-distancing is practiced at this lab, and we're all wearing masks.
My doctor talked to me by phone and informed me of my results.

Last edited:
Has he been self-monitoring his blood sugar at home?

I'm diabetic type 2 - and wintertime or days I can't go out, I do exercises at home. Even just dancing.
Plug in to youtube - so many different exercises you can find. He needs exercises - that's very important.
It has to do something with using up stored fats in the liver.

Anyway, if he feels something is seriously wrong, he should call his doctor. The clerk of my doctor sent me a form to take to the blood testing lab (Dynacare it is here). I had my blood done at the lab, and the lab forwarded the results to my doctor.
Safe-distancing is practiced at this lab, and we're all wearing masks.
My doctor talked to me by phone and informed me of my results.

I think the result of my fretting is that he is a bit happy that I care but he will not allow me to be involved in helping........... diabetics do seem to have a control over health thing going on... Done all I can at the moment...

I think the result of my fretting is that he is a bit happy that I care but he will not allow me to be involved in helping........... diabetics do seem to have a control over health thing going on... Done all I can at the moment...

Stress can affect the blood sugars too. Many people find this Covid-19 isolation, really stressful.

Go to wal-mart, get a glucometer and test strips.

Use it several times for two days.

Get a tele-conference with the doctor and give him the numbers.

He knows what he can eat and not eat, in what proportions, and when.

If he is depressed, he will make bad decisions.

Help him make good decisions.

Freestyle Libre

I wear it....i can easily check my glucose levels 8-10x a day....and i no longer lance my poor fingers

You attach to your arm and then just use your phone or their reading device (apple phones work well, not so much with others yet)

lance finger once in a blue moon just to verify that the readings are accurate

change the arm reader every 2 weeks

best damn thing to come along in a LONG LONG time

when you go to the doctor they download the results from the phone or the reader....easy peasey

you can pm me....get 2 to 3 days of his fasting sugar readings and a reading 30 min after he eats on those days. Keep a diary for those 3 days of his food intake and what he is eating at what times. My mother in law is diabetic, so was my late father and late brother and uncles. I know a ton about diabetes and controlling it....he is high risk for Covid19 if he were to catch it, it could be deadly if his sugar is all over the place.

Go to wal-mart, get a glucometer and test strips.

Use it several times for two days.

Get a tele-conference with the doctor and give him the numbers.

He knows what he can eat and not eat, in what proportions, and when.

If he is depressed, he will make bad decisions.

Help him make good decisions.

Not everyone knows what to eat and when. I had to teach both my mother in law and father ...my father didn't listen and he is dead...my mother in law is still kicking pretty strong.

you can pm me....get 2 to 3 days of his fasting sugar readings and a reading 30 min after he eats on those days. Keep a diary for those 3 days of his food intake and what he is eating at what times. My mother in law is diabetic, so was my late father and late brother and uncles. I know a ton about diabetes and controlling it....he is high risk for Covid19 if he were to catch it, it could be deadly if his sugar is all over the place.

I am afraid that he is not going to let me help him. His own agency and all that.

Not everyone knows what to eat and when. I had to teach both my mother in law and father ...my father didn't listen and he is dead...my mother in law is still kicking pretty strong.

Bet your dad, like mine, knew what to eat. Choosing to do so is another matter. We could ask my father in law but he is dead from not listening to the doctor.

Bet your dad, like mine, knew what to eat. Choosing to do so is another matter. We could ask my father in law but he is dead from not listening to the doctor.

My father likely didn't know how much harm he was doing to himself. It killed him in 2011 and he refused to go to the doctor. When he died his sugar level was around 700, and yes, it killed him. My mother in law has a 3rd grade education. She didn't know what to eat and still has issues, but between myself and her kids we keep her in check.

My father likely didn't know how much harm he was doing to himself. It killed him in 2011 and he refused to go to the doctor. When he died his sugar level was around 700, and yes, it killed him. My mother in law has a 3rd grade education. She didn't know what to eat and still has issues, but between myself and her kids we keep her in check.

I am glad you all are taking care of her.

I am afraid that he is not going to let me help him. His own agency and all that.

That is unfortunate. When you have diabetes lots of things can go wrong. If you do not eat correctly, your kidneys go, you can lose body parts and even lose your vision..it isn't a quick death...it is a slow, miserable, painful one.

I am glad you all are taking care of her.

Indeed, her levels stay around 110 to 120 or I become a very hard person to deal with...so the family does what they are supposed to. Only 2 times in the past 5 years have they gotten out of hand. I know she hates me policing every bite she takes..but she feels better as a result.

I understand that, as I am a type II....however, my wife is very involved in monitoring and helping me with control of my blood sugar; As we are both medical professionals I encourage her to do so simply because it is very easy for checking my sugar or taking my Metformin to skip my mind.

How to Support Someone with Diabetes
  1. Know what diabetes is and how it's treated. ...
  2. Be open to the kind of help they want and don't judge. ...
  3. Look out for the symptoms of low blood sugar. ...
  4. Serve a variety of foods. ...
  5. Be a workout buddy. ...
  6. Offer mental and emotional support.

Back
Top Bottom