• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dexter, series finalie

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Well - I don't know what I expected for the end of a show about a serial killer.

But I did expect something better - I just hoped he'd be a good father. But nope. It's Deadbeat Dad Dexter. Seriously - he trusts HANNAH with Harrison because she's better than he is? I don't think so, that's atrocious. Also, he didn't think that maybe Debra, after all this ****, deserved a decent funeral - maybe her friends could say their last respects? I mean seriously . . . Deranged Dexter. :doh I don't think I've ever been irritated over how a show ends.

Seemed like a good enough ending: fake your death, head off to the hills.

A huge letdown. You'd expect he'd at least end up dead or something if he doesn't get the happy ending, but no, he's a lumberjack doing nothing in the middle of nowhere. Fantastic.
Gotta wonder what did the writers think to themselves when they've written this finale. It just proves their poor level of writing which has been getting worse and worse since the ending of season 4 where they've reached their peak. Should have ended it there with Rita's murder.

It was a huge let down. However, they did leave an opening for them to make another one.

It was pretty damn lame. However, I guess that's only to be expected given how weak the rest of the season was.

It simply didn't feel like the writing team had a clear direction for the story. Between the numerous dead end sub-plots, characters introduced out of nowhere only be killed off an episode later, and a "main villain" only really given the last four episodes of the season to make an impression on the audience, I'm honestly inclined to wonder just what in the Hell were they thinking here.

Were they simply coasting to the finish on meaningless filler, so they could set us up with an open-ended cliffhanger? That's sure as Hell what it felt like.

If they're trying to get any kind of continuation on the series, they'd better be planning on significantly upping their game. What they've been turning out lately simply isn't cutting it. :roll:

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed. Besides the fact that leaving Harrison with Hannah really didn't make sense, it just didn't really feel like a finale to me. Most other series finale's I've seen, even ones where the show was obviously starting to sag off a little, at least had a sense of urgency that made it gripping and exciting, headed to a dramatic conclusion. Most of the episode felt just like a normal episode to me. Deb's death didn't even seem very impactful or dramatic, and it really should have.

I'd heard a rumor all week long that it was going to turn out that Quinn knew ever since the end of the arc about the private eye he hired what Dexter was and that he accepted it because he agreed with what Dexter was doing and out of love for Deb. Later he would tell Dexter that he should go to Argentina with Hannah and Harrison and leave Saxon to him. Thinking about it, that doesn't really make any sense, but I would've preferred it to the actual finale.

I enjoyed it. It wraps up the basic theme of the last 4 seasons; that Dexter destroys everything around him. That he has finally achieved what he really always wanted; to feel what other people felt, and with the death of Deb being his fault he wants nothing more but to shut those feelings off but can't. And to save Hannah and Harrison from coming to the same fate as everyone who he has ever cared for has, Rita, Lila, Miguel, and now Deb he must leave, and basically is living in a self inflicted hell and this is punishment for all the bad things he has done. I thought it was a rather good ending.

And I trust Hannah with Harrison, I've liked her from the start.

I enjoyed it. It wraps up the basic theme of the last 4 seasons; that Dexter destroys everything around him. That he has finally achieved what he really always wanted; to feel what other people felt, and with the death of Deb being his fault he wants nothing more but to shut those feelings off but can't. And to save Hannah and Harrison from coming to the same fate as everyone who he has ever cared for has, Rita, Lila, Miguel, and now Deb he must leave, and basically is living in a self inflicted hell and this is punishment for all the bad things he has done. I thought it was a rather good ending.

And I trust Hannah with Harrison, I've liked her from the start.

Harrison, at the least, should have gone to live with HIS brother and sister. He has family who do love him. Hannah - aside from being psychotic - is a wanted fugitive from American Law. At any point she could be taken into custody and then what? The kid's without any family, and they don't even know WHERE he is. What, everyone is presumed dead? The detective keeps looking for Hannah and Harrison? . . . See - too many unknowns and, overall, what just leaves me unsettled is that nothing works out well for Harrison.

Honestly? A few episodes ago, when Harrison's babysitter kept boosting him up, hugging him, etc - I thought maybe Dexter and Hannah would die, and the sitter would end up with him. I didn't think either of them would live - especially Dexter. Never expected Lumberjack Dexter.

I enjoyed the finale a great deal. it made a lot of sense and was the perfect way to end it short of Dex going out in a blaze of glory which may have been over the top and melodramatic. I loved how they teased Dex as trying to become normal only to realize that his flaw would not allow that to ever happen so he did the right thing in the end. The end was reminiscent of Tale of Two Cities with the main character doing a far better thing than he has ever done before in an act of love for others. Perfect.

I enjoyed the finale, but wasn't sure whether it was awesome or lame. But then, I didn't really know what to expect.

I'm glad my hunch from a couple of episodes ago didn't become true: That Hannah had been in bed with Vogel's son all along and both together successfully plot to kill Dexter -- two psychopaths killing Dexter for his weakness of being too emotional. That would have been really lame, I guess.

I enjoyed the finale, but wasn't sure whether it was awesome or lame. But then, I didn't really know what to expect.

I'm glad my hunch from a couple of episodes ago didn't become true: That Hannah had been in bed with Vogel's son all along and both together successfully plot to kill Dexter -- two psychopaths killing Dexter for his weakness of being too emotional. That would have been really lame, I guess.

Not sure Hannah is a psychopath. I mean yeah she kills but out of necessity, not for the pleasure of it.

Not sure Hannah is a psychopath. I mean yeah she kills but out of necessity, not for the pleasure of it.

Well, wasn't she the one who is very much into men who are murderers? And he enjoyed killing together with her youth love, as Dexter discovered in season 7. Would have made sense if someone like her would be very much attracted by an even darker psychopath than Dexter, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom