• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dex's weight loss advice.

dex4974

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
I'm no licensed health expert but I worked at a gym for a bit when I was younger and have been actively health conscious my entire life. Here's some things that I think are important when implementing your weight loss strategy.

Stop making excuses because it's not going to help

A lot of people have a whole lot of reasons why they haven't done or can't do this or that. Advocating for your own helplessness is not useful when trying to lose weight. Recognize that there are steps you can take that will result in you reaching your target weight.

Get better at recognizing the difference between hunger and a food craving

Some people have had an unhealthy relationship with food for so long that they've actually forgotten what it's like to be truly hungry. When you're addicted to food you want to eat again long before your body actually needs and is asking for food. You think you're hungry but really your brain just wants to scarf down some of that food because it's delicious and it will make you temporarily happy. If you power through your cravings and wait until your body actually needs food before you eat it will go a long way.

Eat slower and in smaller portions

If you eat fast you might not be aware that you could be eating a lot less while still getting full. It takes a little bit for the food you're eating to satiate your hunger pangs. If you eat less and eat it slower you can still satiate your hunger and you will have consumed less.

Be honest with yourself about how much you're cheating

This is a big one. A lot of people with weight problems seriously underestimate how much they're actually eating because they're not fully aware of just how much and how often they cheat. A big eye opener could be a food journal.

Find SOME way to be active

You can lose weight without exercise but it's going to be a lot harder and you won't be as healthy. Exercise burns calories and increases your muscle mass which makes your body burn more calories throughout the day. Unless you're severely disabled there is something you could be doing to increase your level of activity. Personally I like swimming. It has almost no joint impact like running does and it works your whole body. Because of the low joint impact most people can swim for exercise their entire lives. All of those fit old people you see are swimmers.

Calculate and be aware of your calorie deficit but do not obsess over calories

In the past a lot of diets have overemphasized calories to the extent that it becomes a problem. Calories alone are not everything. Eating the right calories at the right times can go a long way in your weight loss and health strategy. That being said you still can't lose weight without a calorie deficit. Being aware of how much is going into your body can and will make it a lot easier to control your weight.

DRINK WATER AND LOTS OF IT

Water is your body's lubrication. We all know how important it is yet many people don't drink nearly enough. Not drinking as much water as you should is an epidemic. It helps your body feel less hungry, it's vital for workouts and it just makes you feel a lot better in general. There's a lot of people out there right now walking around feeling like shit because they're dehydrated and don't realize it.

Last edited:
Actually, the first step is remarkably easy:

You don't need to try "Keto" - it's dangerous anyway, if not done while properly monitored - but you do need to cut as many useless carbs out as you can. No deserts. Just...don't have any more deserts. No sodas. (ie, the only caloric liquid I might have is milk, vegetable juices, or booze). Avoid highly processed foods. For pastas, use lower-carb higher-protein/fiber ones, like red lentil pasta, or edamema/black bean pasta. (The latter have a huge amount of fiber/protein). Carbs, and the higher-processed they are (sugar being the worst), are the real enemy here.

And, really, no cheating. No more desert. Have a bigger steak if you want. But no desert.

Move more. A lot more. Weights and cardio, a few times a week at least. Make it a habit. I usually take one day out of seven off. It becomes a thing that you do, rather than a chore. Build up to it if you don't exercise already, of course. No point putting yourself out of action.

Last edited:
i like food diaries like MyFitnessPal. i also walk as much as possible and try to keep moving. the Fitbit makes it fun.

Actually, the first step is remarkably easy:

You don't need to try "Keto" - it's dangerous anyway, if not done while properly monitored - but you do need to cut as many useless carbs out as you can. No deserts. Just...don't have any more deserts. No sodas. (ie, the only caloric liquid I might have is milk, vegetable juices, or booze). Avoid highly processed foods. For pastas, use lower-carb higher-protein/fiber ones, like red lentil pasta, or edamema/black bean pasta. (The latter have a huge amount of fiber/protein). Carbs, and the higher-processed they are (sugar being the worst), are the real enemy here.

And, really, no cheating. No more desert. Have a bigger steak if you want. But no desert.

Move more. A lot more. Weights and cardio, a few times a week at least. Make it a habit. I usually take one day out of seven off. It becomes a thing that you do, rather than a chore. Build up to it if you don't exercise already, of course. No point putting yourself out of action.

In my opinion it's fine to cheat with desert if you take it out of your daily food budget rather than just eating extra.

In my opinion it's fine to cheat with desert if you take it out of your daily food budget rather than just eating extra.

It's best to avoid the insulin response.

Weight is not just calories-in/calories-out.

It's best to avoid the insulin response.

Weight is not just calories-in/calories-out.

You also don't need to be a manic dieter to reach fitness goals. You just have to make sure you're keeping things in balance. Some people lose their minds trying to never eat naughty food again.

I'm no licensed health expert but I worked at a gym for a bit when I was younger and have been actively health conscious my entire life. Here's some things that I think are important when implementing your weight loss strategy.

Stop making excuses because it's not going to help

A lot of people have a whole lot of reasons why they haven't done or can't do this or that. Advocating for your own helplessness is not useful when trying to lose weight. Recognize that there are steps you can take that will result in you reaching your target weight.

Get better at recognizing the difference between hunger and a food craving

Some people have had an unhealthy relationship with food for so long that they've actually forgotten what it's like to be truly hungry. When you're addicted to food you want to eat again long before your body actually needs and is asking for food. You think you're hungry but really your brain just wants to scarf down some of that food because it's delicious and it will make you temporarily happy. If you power through your cravings and wait until your body actually needs food before you eat it will go a long way.

Eat slower and in smaller portions

If you eat fast you might not be aware that you could be eating a lot less while still getting full. It takes a little bit for the food you're eating to satiate your hunger pangs. If you eat less and eat it slower you can still satiate your hunger and you will have consumed less.

Be honest with yourself about how much you're cheating

This is a big one. A lot of people with weight problems seriously underestimate how much they're actually eating because they're not fully aware of just how much and how often they cheat. A big eye opener could be a food journal.

Find SOME way to be active

You can lose weight without exercise but it's going to be a lot harder and you won't be as healthy. Exercise burns calories and increases your muscle mass which makes your body burn more calories throughout the day. Unless you're severely disabled there is something you could be doing to increase your level of activity. Personally I like swimming. It has almost no joint impact like running does and it works your whole body. Because of the low joint impact most people can swim for exercise their entire lives. All of those fit old people you see are swimmers.

Calculate and be aware of your calorie deficit but do not obsess over calories

In the past a lot of diets have overemphasized calories to the extent that it becomes a problem. Calories alone are not everything. Eating the right calories at the right times can go a long way in your weight loss and health strategy. That being said you still can't lose weight without a calorie deficit. Being aware of how much is going into your body can and will make it a lot easier to control your weight.

DRINK WATER AND LOTS OF IT

Water is your body's lubrication. We all know how important it is yet many people don't drink nearly enough. Not drinking as much water as you should is an epidemic. It helps your body feel less hungry, it's vital for workouts and it just makes you feel a lot better in general. There's a lot of people out there right now walking around feeling like shit because they're dehydrated and don't realize it.

Eat less and work out more.

You also don't need to be a manic dieter to reach fitness goals. You just have to make sure you're keeping things in balance. Some people lose their minds trying to never eat naughty food again.

Meh, that's more a willpower thing than anything. "I want".

Nobody needs sweets. And I'm not kidding when I say that if you do without for a month or two, they will taste disgustingly sweet if you try them. I dunno. The diet I described was an easy bargain two decades ago. I also through intense workouts on top, 6 days a week, sometimes all 7, but it really is nice to be able to eat however much I want just so long as I avoid stuff like sweets, sodas/fruit juices, and generally cut processed carbs way down.... I don't have to count calories. All I have to do is avoid the most useless of calories, and bingo. It's all good.

Meh, that's more a willpower thing than anything. "I want".

Nobody needs sweets. And I'm not kidding when I say that if you do without for a month or two, they will taste disgustingly sweet if you try them. I dunno. The diet I described was an easy bargain two decades ago. I also through intense workouts on top, 6 days a week, sometimes all 7, but it really is nice to be able to eat however much I want just so long as I avoid stuff like sweets, sodas/fruit juices, and generally cut processed carbs way down.... I don't have to count calories. All I have to do is avoid the most useless of calories, and bingo. It's all good.

I completely cut out sugar for like two months once. I felt amazing. I don't count calories anymore either. I would if I needed to lose weight though. What you say has merit. People might be amazed by the volume of food they could replace that piece of cake with if they wanted. That's a mountain of fruits and vegetables.

The NHS is recommending a very low calorie diet as a first intervention for people with diabetes. The diet is a result of research at Newcastle University that found that an 800 calorie a day diet could reverse Type 2 Diabetes in obese or severely obese people. I did this diet myself a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I lost about 24% of my body weight, very quickly. My insulin sensitivity is now normal.

This type of diet is not to be undertaken without close medical monitoring and is not intended for someone who wants to simply lose a few pounds. In that case Dex's advice is sound and I would agree with those on the thread who point out the benefit of eliminating refined sugars as much as possible.

i like food diaries like MyFitnessPal. i also walk as much as possible and try to keep moving. the Fitbit makes it fun.
I use MyFitnessPal. One thing I noticed when I tracked the food I was eating was that the healthy stuff that's actually needed for nutrition didn't add up to that much. It was the other crap that added 1,000 or 1,500 calories a day.

I use MyFitnessPal. One thing I noticed when I tracked the food I was eating was that the healthy stuff that's actually needed for nutrition didn't add up to that much. It was the other crap that added 1,000 or 1,500 calories a day.
mine is very carb heavy. i need to work on that.

mine is very carb heavy. i need to work on that.
I had a Sergeant Major who drank at least 6 hefeweizens practically every night. He also ran 6-10 miles a day. He was about 5'9" and weighed about 150 pounds.

Burn more calories than you consume. It's really that simple.
Not quite that simple. Without attention to the quality of the diet you can end up with what doctors call TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside). It's not as visible as obesity, but not safe either.

Back
Top Bottom