• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Developing countries have more freedom in some regards than developed countries

Developing countries have more freedom in some regards than developed countries

• Agree

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other opinion (explain)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Viking11

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It's a widespread misconception that developing countries have very little freedom. Developing countries actually have a lot of freedom.

in many developing countries...

1. The police don't care if you commit petty crimes such as consuming alcohol and tobacco if you're underage, prostitution or gambling.

2. You can swim in any river, hike or camp in any wooded area at any time.

3. You won't face a fine for littering.

4. There is no such thing as lawsuits.

5. You can play music as loud as you want to and no one will call the police, though they might confront you. The cops would come if someone called about a first-world problem like a neighbor playing loud music only in first-world countries.

6. There are no copyright laws.

7. There are little to no regulations on what you can buy or sell.

8. You don't need a licence to hunt or fish, and you can hunt and fish as much as you like.

10. You can own any animal you want as a pet.

11. You can go outside at night at any time you want, anywhere you want.

12. You won't be fined for loitering.

You can trade a chicken for an AK47.. (a real one)

Depends. I tend to get pulled over more often in developing/underdeveloped countries. A lot more checkpoints as well especially Latin America. The more corrupt the cops, the more likely they are looking out for foreigners to extort money from. Have seen a few people get in trouble for throwing cigarettes on the ground in Thailand, never seen this happen in North America.

That said, I prefer developing/underdeveloped countries as far as lifestyle goes. Drugs, hookers, cheap beer, relaxing tropical paradise vibe, Definitely preferable to living in some boring suburban hellhole in the west. I don't know if that's freedom tho.

Last edited:
It's a widespread misconception that developing countries have very little freedom. Developing countries actually have a lot of freedom.

in many developing countries...

1. The police don't care if you commit petty crimes such as consuming alcohol and tobacco if you're underage, prostitution or gambling.

2. You can swim in any river, hike or camp in any wooded area at any time.

3. You won't face a fine for littering.

4. There is no such thing as lawsuits.

5. You can play music as loud as you want to and no one will call the police, though they might confront you. The cops would come if someone called about a first-world problem like a neighbor playing loud music only in first-world countries.

6. There are no copyright laws.

7. There are little to no regulations on what you can buy or sell.

8. You don't need a licence to hunt or fish, and you can hunt and fish as much as you like.

10. You can own any animal you want as a pet.

11. You can go outside at night at any time you want, anywhere you want.

12. You won't be fined for loitering.

You can also:

- Chop off people's heads

- Gang rape women for disrespecting your family

- Rob people

- Run a Taco Stand and not be beholden to FDA standards

- Illegally cross borders and become a burden on your new society

I like goofy threads that are meant to be silly jokes... :lol:

I would argue that the OP poster read some Hobbes, Locke, Voltaire, etc and get back to us when he understands that laws actually grant more freedom than the State of Nature does...

Definitely -- Russian laws are much more lenient then US laws. In Russia, 1820 people are serving life in prison, in US, 160,000 people are lifers.

Definitely -- Russian laws are much more lenient then US laws. In Russia, 1820 people are serving life in prison, in US, 160,000 people are lifers.

Have a link to that number?

In USA:

Over 159,000 people were serving life sentences as of 2012, with just under a third—nearly 50,000—serving life without a chance of parole.

Laws from 1820 Russia are irrelevant to this argument...

Laws from 1820 Russia are irrelevant to this argument...

In 1820, Russia had very harsh laws. In 2016, only 1820 prisoners in Russia are serving life sentence.

In 1820, Russia had very harsh laws. In 2016, only 1820 prisoners in Russia are serving life sentence.

That number should be higher...

All these prisoners are at least double killers.

In Russia in 1820, people could be flogged to death for a theft. Now Russian laws are really humane.

yeah but in some cases law enforcement in the first world can protect victims of those 'petty crimes' and problems you dismiss like blasting music at 4am

also in the 3rd world, you're a lot more likely to be dead by age 30 so that you can't exactly enjoy those freedoms. And there's no copyright laws...but how many even have a smartphone?

You have more freedom in developing countries if you have privilege, like being a visitor or resident who comes from a rich country. If you grew up there, it's usually a more difficult life. If you can't afford to pay off police or buy your way to the front of the line, there is no system that's going to ensure fairness. And often the system will rob you right in front of your face. I'd say on the whole there's more community though because people have to look out for each other. Because of this though, most developing countries operate on traditional culture, which means if you're different, the community is less likely to look out for you.

What I love about developing countries is the ability to bargain because prices usually aren't fixed. You can also pay in cash and avoid taxes.

The west, on the other hand, is too controlled if you ask me. There are too many rules, many of them unnecessary.

And if you get into the deeper philosophical question of, "What is freedom?", I don't think you can say anyone has it better 'over there' somewhere. True freedom is an inner state that isn't necessarily reliant upon external conditions.

Back
Top Bottom