• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Devastation: GOP Picks Up 680 State Leg. Seats

Prof. Peabody

Debate MMA
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Devastation: GOP Picks Up 680 State Leg. Seats

By Jeremy P. Jacobs
November 4, 2010 | 11:30 AM

While the Republican gains in the House and Senate are grabbing the most headlines, the most significant results on Tuesday came in state legislatures where Republicans wiped the floor with Democrats.

Republicans picked up 680 seats in state legislatures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures -- the most in the modern era. To put that number in perspective: In the 1994 GOP wave, Republicans picked up 472 seats. The previous record was in the post-Watergate election of 1974, when Democrats picked up 628 seats.

The GOP gained majorities in at least 14 state house chambers. They now have unified control -- meaning both chambers -- of 26 state legislatures.

That control is a particularly bad sign for Democrats as they go into the redistricting process. If the GOP is effective in gerrymandering districts in many of these states, it could eventually lead to the GOP actually expanding its majority in 2012.

Republicans now hold the redistricting "trifecta" -- both chambers of the state legislature and the governorship -- in 15 states. They also control the Nebraska governorship and the unicameral legislature, taking the number up to 16. And in North Carolina -- probably the state most gerrymandered to benefit Democrats -- Republicans hold both chambers of the state legislature and the Democratic governor does not have veto power over redistricting proposals.

Devastation: GOP Picks Up 680 State Leg. Seats - Hotline On Call

Obama's liberal agenda has been soundly REJECTED! Obama care will be dismantled, piece by piece if necessary. For the good of the party, they should agree to the repeal efforts. But we know they won't do that, they'd rather lose all 21 Democrat Senate seats up for re-election in 2012. I'd rather they did too, this way they'll be in the political wilderness for generations to come.

Obama's liberal agenda has been soundly REJECTED!

No, in many places there were more registered democrats and more democratic voters yet they were not greater in the category of likely voters. You just hate it more than we like it.

No, in many places there were more registered democrats and more democratic voters yet they were not greater in the category of likely voters. You just hate it more than we like it.
based on result, it was rejected, on historic proportions.

Obama's liberal agenda has been soundly REJECTED!

Correction. Obama's Quasi-Republican Agenda has been rejected. Actual Obama policies in many ways mirror Bush Jr, Bush Sr and Reagan policies. Some are actually identical or even more aggressive then the policies pushed by those three. I keep pointing out how Obama is in many ways Bush III.

Obama care will be dismantled, piece by piece if necessary.

Not likely. The Democrats wrote in a fashion that to dismantle parts would render popular aspects invalid. That won't go well. Seniors will revolt if the GOP brings back the Donut Hole.
Furthermore, Obamacare is little more then an originally Republican Idea. And the notion of mandated insurance is more Conservative then the GOP's notion. The GOP has nothing to prevent free riders sucking up tax dollars from responsible people. The mandate at least forces those people to burden their own costs. I don't see why my premiums should subsidize someone who refuses to pay for their own insurance. That person should pay for their own. Obamacare excels in that notion. It's either essentially more welfare or forcing people to shoulder their own burdens. I go with the shouldering.

The biggest problem with Obamcare is that Obama failed to get the message out about what it will actually do. In the same fashion of how Harry Reid took the Nevada race and shaped it before Angle could get a PR campaign in, the GOP took Obamacare's image and tweaked it to their views. Palin's death panels for instance. Pure absolute lie. But Obama failed to get the message across. Funny thing is that the whole idea isn't even a Democrat one. They essentially just stole it from Republicans.

I'd rather they did too, this way they'll be in the political wilderness for generations to come.

You sound alot like Rove, circa 2002. Permanent GOP majority anyone? The GOP Is going to fail to get the economy moving for the simple reason that leverage recessions don't have any good quick fixes.

You win the prize! That's the single most novel excuse for the Democrats suffering the worst loss since the 1930's. REJECTED!

The GOP Is going to fail to get the economy moving for the simple reason that leverage recessions don't have any good quick fixes.

That's the beauty of the Democrats retaining the Senate. Along with the White House you own 2/3rds of the blame. Good luck, ya owned it all for the last 2 years and got nothing but 9.6% unemployment. The people won't believe you, that showed that in bushells tuesday.

That's the beauty of the Democrats retaining the Senate.

True. The Republicans can blame the problem on the Democrats without admitting that they themselves haven't the faintest idea on how to actually get the economy going.

Along with the White House you own 2/3rds of the blame. Good luck, ya owned it all for the last 2 years and got nothing but 9.6% unemployment.

It's almost certain that it would have gone higher. The stimulus was spending and tax cuts despite the lunatic rantings of some users here. To say that the economy would have been better is to argue that higher taxes and less aggregate demand produces better results then lower taxes and more aggregate demand.

The people won't believe you, that showed that in bushells tuesday.

But they don't have faith in the GOP either. Bohener voted for TARP and he's House Majority leader (not to mention him and McConnell's time in the All GOP years of massive deficit spending during economic expansion). The notion that the Tea Party is actually going to get anything done is pretty loony. The GOP will fight to stop spending cuts when it cost their district jobs. Right now Vitter is still pissed off about Obama cutting government jobs and handing them over to the private sector. Several Republicans are fighting a base closure in Virginia. The GOP differs from the Democrats in one key aspect. They pretend their beliefs are different.

It's still hilarious how the GOP rallied against a president who enacted many of their own ideas. Not to mention they keep pushing ideas that have never in history worked to stimulate an economy emerging from a financial recession.

Btw, failing to address the bulk of my post doesn't bode well for you.

Last edited:
It'e evem nore hilarious how many state and federal seats the Democrats lost. Welcome to the Big Leagues.

If you want to post one liners with no substance, that's fine. But don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

My original post always provides a credible source as well as any further assertions. That's a lot more than I can say for some of the childish back and forth I see on this forum. If you doubt what President Obama called a "schellacking" you can post you a link to the final embarassing tally if you'd like. Finally, my postings speak for themselves, I don't need yours or anyone's elses approvel as to what's credible or not, as I back up my assertions with credible news sources or I don't make 'em. By the way, you just posted a oneliner with no substance as well.

The numbers on peoples approval of individual policies does not qualify as an outright rejection. Divisive it is, most people accept 'obamakare' for example.

I'm sure that allowing unrestricted corporate spending probably had nothing to do with the historics of this election.

Every spending record for midterm elections was shattered this year. The fact of the matter is that big swings like this may become the norm. In a few years we may see the Democrats in as good or better a position as the Republicans are in now.

Last edited:

Nice spin. I love it when someone gets their ass handed to them in a game and then they make excuses like "I had a fly in my eye", "My best hitter didnt show up", this one I love "You cheated".

The numbers on peoples approval of individual policies does not qualify as an outright rejection. Divisive it is, most people accept 'obamakare' for example.

According to the latest polls like 67% of the people out right rejected Obama care with even more people wanting it at least fixed.

In my state of Michigan, the results were so one sided that the Republicans completely flipped the House and now have a 63 to 47 majority. The Dems had almost that going in to the election. In addition, the GOP swept all state wide elected offices. It was a Republican tsunami of historic proportions. The only saving grace for me was that the Democratic candidate I was managing for State Rep won and won big. But he was the exception to the rule.

Moderator's Warning:
"On Call" is the Natioanl Journal's blog section and thus should be in *BN* Blogs. Thread moved

If you want to post one liners with no substance, that's fine. But don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Yeh, I, for one, would love to hear from Prof. Peabody or anyone else who can address your points.

The result of the election is incoherent. Voters want the President to focus on job creation, retain all tax cuts and military spending AND balance the budget, so we are told by the media. HUH? These are contradictory endeavors. And how many Republicans want to stare a voter in the face who has pre-existsing H.C.conditions and tell them that insurers will once again be able to drop their coverage? If Repubs try to retain some of these H.C. bennies w/o the mandatory insurance aspect, health insurers will rebel.

Already, I hear Boehner positioning himself to blame Dems on the ongoing economic slump for which he has no solution.

In my state of Michigan, the results were so one sided that the Republicans completely flipped the House and now have a 63 to 47 majority. The Dems had almost that going in to the election. In addition, the GOP swept all state wide elected offices. It was a Republican tsunami of historic proportions. The only saving grace for me was that the Democratic candidate I was managing for State Rep won and won big. But he was the exception to the rule.

So, how do you explain those results? Are the Dems given any credit for saving jobs in the auto industry?

In my state an unusual thing occured. Out of state entities bought ads on T.V. to help elect Repubs to the state senate. State legislators typically do little more than campaign door to door and send out mailings- they are very low budget. I am told that some Rove sponsored organization placed the T.V. ads. Now we have a Repub. legislature and Governor.

Cassandra asks about the Michigan GOP tsunami

So, how do you explain those results? Are the Dems given any credit for saving jobs in the auto industry?

This was the perfect storm of a GOP candidate in Rick Snyder (candidate for governor) who was self funded as a multi-millionaire who was a nice friendly smiling face and a Democratic candidate - Virg Benero - who was a bit angry and surly and was painted as a loose canon in the mainstream media. The issues Benero wanted to discuss were never explored in the two main papers here. Snyder did very early and very clever advertising on the Super Bowl announcing that he was a nerd. It caught on and the man never had to discuss anything of substance and clung to a 20 point lead from primary day right through Tuesday. Benero tried to trumpet his role in saving the auto industry but he just could not get any traction in any way. Snyder ran as the opposite of a tea party rightist. He ran as a moderate in the tradition of former governor Bill Milliken. That got him elected. Because Benero never caught on, lots of Dems here simply stayed home and allowed the Republicans to sweep most of the offices. Turnout in Detroit was terrible.

We had lots of TV ads like you did in Maine but that was normal and no different that the past few election cycles.

I'm sure that allowing unrestricted corporate spending probably had nothing to do with the historics of this election.

Every spending record for midterm elections was shattered this year. The fact of the matter is that big swings like this may become the norm. In a few years we may see the Democrats in as good or better a position as the Republicans are in now.
Didn't I read that the Demos outspent the Repubs by about 4:3?

My original post always provides a credible source as well as any further assertions.

Your original post is at this point irrelevant.

That's a lot more than I can say for some of the childish back and forth I see on this forum.

Perhaps so, but you seem unwilling to actually move beyond that yourself.

If you doubt what President Obama called a "schellacking" you can post you a link to the final embarassing tally if you'd like.

Wow. Clearly you are a product of the American public education system. Did I disagree that the Democrats took huge losses? No. You are completely ignoring what my posts are about. Quite sad really.

Finally, my postings speak for themselves

Indeed. That you are nothing more then a partisan with no intentions of any honest discussions.

I don't need yours or anyone's elses approvel as to what's credible or not, as I back up my assertions with credible news sources or I don't make 'em. By the way, you just posted a oneliner with no substance as well.

Actually, you like most partisans just pretend things that don't fit your views don't exist.

If you could respond to my posts' points, you would. But clearly you have demonstrated you cannot.

Yeh, I, for one, would love to hear from Prof. Peabody or anyone else who can address your points.

Not going to happen. That would require a level of honesty most users here do not possess. Do we ever see detractors of Obamacare admitting it was actually a Republican idea? Not a chance. Do we see them state that the stimulus had huge amounts of tax cuts? Nope. Do we see them admit that many of Obama's policies are Republican? Nope. Because being a partisan requires one to be dishonest. And the levels of dishonesty here are immense.

The result of the election is incoherent.

Not necessarily. Obama failed to get the message across. And most Americans are too economically ignorant to understand why leverage recessions are different. Dozens of users here have fled like cowards whenever anyone asks them why a leverage recession is different. It's one of the ways to get certain users to flee a thread.

Voters want the President to focus on job creation, retain all tax cuts and military spending AND balance the budget, so we are told by the media. HUH? These are contradictory endeavors.

Pretty much. Like Boehner telling Obama to veto any job killing bill but wanting job killing cuts. Doesn't make sense. And the whole "Pledge" is fuzzy math. If you bought that idea, you cannot do basic math or critical thinking.

And we all know Republicans will fight spending cuts to their districts regardless of what the spending is.

If Repubs try to retain some of these H.C. bennies w/o the mandatory insurance aspect, health insurers will rebel.

Probably.

Already, I hear Boehner positioning himself to blame Dems on the ongoing economic slump for which he has no solution.

He doesn't have a solution. No one frankly does. Financial Leverage recessions do not have good quick cures.

Back
Top Bottom